RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 499  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today I added another layer of Por and canvas to a piece of extra canvas that already had Por on it.

Once that dries, I'll check it again and see if it is tougher to tear than it was. I also laid the canvas on an angle compared to the first layer.

I'll let you know how that works, or doesn't.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/08/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wahoo! I took a look today at the canvas and Por 15 that I added a second layer to yesterday.

The second layer is placed on a 45 degree angle as compared to the first layer. After having 2 layers, it was possible, although very difficult to tear them in half.

I guess I need to add a third layer and see what that looks like. I'll also do the same with fiberglass, and the results should be as expected. The fiberglass should win hands down.

Also, looks like I may have a car lined up to replace the pt cruiser. So far looking good!

YeeHaw!

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey! Ever walk into a room and forget why you walked in there? Then leave, remember what you went in there for, so you go back in a second time, and still can't remember why you went in there?

Leave the second time, remember, walk in the third time, and actually accomplish what you wanted to the first time?

Yea, me neither. Lol.

Getting closer to having a replacement car, hopefully early next week, it will be ready to be inspected. Yahoo.

Bear with me, I'll get back on the motor home in the next day or two. (Bear, not bare - we're not getting naked here)! Lol.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Went shopping again. Needed to pick up a few things for the house, so while I was there I decided to pick up more Fiberglass Resin, and a couple more packs of Fiberglass cloth.

[image]

[image]

Resin was $39.98 plus tax, and the cloth was $13.98 plus tax for a total of $57.18.

So, updating our spreadsheet, prior total was $$7690.18. Adding the $57.18 and we now have $7747.36.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 07:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Epoxy instead of Resin, it if far superior and lots more expensive. Locally it cost $100.00 a gallon.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

I use Epoxy instead of Resin, it if far superior and lots more expensive. Locally it cost $100.00 a gallon.

Educate me on the differences between the two, please.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/10/19 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot of different formulas for various Epoxy resins. Depending upon the resin used and the hardener formulation, you can end up with quite a range of strength, hardness, and temperature resistance. The resin sold by Bondo as "Fiberglass resin" seems to be a fairly soft plastic after it has been properly mixed and set. It was designed to allow for some bending without cracking. The body man who does repairs on my coach and on our racecar uses it in specific areas which are expected to flex. He uses a different resin/hardener combination in areas that must resist flexing or that must provide protection against penetration in the case of some catastrophic failure or that must provide some structural support. He also has something he adds to the paint to make the paint flexible so that it doesn't crack when the body flexes on the dragster.

None of the stuff is cheap. We had an access panel tear out 3 Dzus fasteners because someone (not me) left the forth one lose. Cost us $400 to repair the 3 areas (about 4 square inches each) and he cut us a deal because he is one of our sponsors. So like PastorCharlie said, there are way better products out there, but they are $$$$$$. I'm not sure that you would need that for your wheel wells. If you want more strength, add more layers. The small additional weight will not make a difference on your MH.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/10/19 10:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

There are a lot of different formulas for various Epoxy resins. Depending upon the resin used and the hardener formulation, you can end up with quite a range of strength, hardness, and temperature resistance. The resin sold by Bondo as "Fiberglass resin" seems to be a fairly soft plastic after it has been properly mixed and set. It was designed to allow for some bending without cracking. The body man who does repairs on my coach and on our racecar uses it in specific areas which are expected to flex. He uses a different resin/hardener combination in areas that must resist flexing or that must provide protection against penetration in the case of some catastrophic failure or that must provide some structural support. He also has something he adds to the paint to make the paint flexible so that it doesn't crack when the body flexes on the dragster.

None of the stuff is cheap. We had an access panel tear out 3 Dzus fasteners because someone (not me) left the forth one lose. Cost us $400 to repair the 3 areas (about 4 square inches each) and he cut us a deal because he is one of our sponsors. So like PastorCharlie said, there are way better products out there, but they are $$$$$$. I'm not sure that you would need that for your wheel wells. If you want more strength, add more layers. The small additional weight will not make a difference on your MH.

Thanks for the update. Seems like the weight isn't much of a problem when the resin dries. I may add a thin layer of plywood in between some of the layers, just for a little reinforcement.

Once the wheel wells are done, I do plan on covering the top of them with spray foam insulation, which should cut down on road noise from the rear wheels.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fulltimin wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

GOOGLE KNOWS

Epoxy resin vs fiberglass resin

Key differences between epoxies and resins
An epoxy's relative strength can hold up to 2,000 lbs. per square inch, while a polyester resin can hold less than 500 lbs. per square inch. Epoxy is more resistant to wearing, cracking and peeling, and corrosion or damage from chemical or environmental degradation.Dec 14, 2013

What is the Difference Between Epoxy and Polyester Resin ...

https://www.pcepoxy.com/what-is-the-difference-between-epoxy-and-polyester-resin/
Search for: Epoxy resin vs fiberglass resin

Where you are likely to see the difference if from the salts and debris on the highway constantly being thrown against the fender wells by the tires. If the tires should happen to pick up a large stone between them and throw it at highway speed it can cause penetration of the material.

When you get to the finish layer of your work test it by throwing a fist size rock at full force against it a few times.

* This post was edited 08/11/19 08:58am by PastorCharlie *

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

fulltimin wrote:

PastorCharlie wrote:

GOOGLE KNOWS

Epoxy resin vs fiberglass resin

Key differences between epoxies and resins
An epoxy's relative strength can hold up to 2,000 lbs. per square inch, while a polyester resin can hold less than 500 lbs. per square inch. Epoxy is more resistant to wearing, cracking and peeling, and corrosion or damage from chemical or environmental degradation.Dec 14, 2013

What is the Difference Between Epoxy and Polyester Resin ...

https://www.pcepoxy.com/what-is-the-difference-between-epoxy-and-polyester-resin/
Search for: Epoxy resin vs fiberglass resin

Where you are likely to see the difference if from the salts and debris on the highway constantly being thrown against the fender wells by the tires. If the tires should happen to pick up a large stone between them and throw it at highway speed it can cause penetration of the material.

When you get to the finish layer of your work test it by throwing a fist size rock at full force against it a few times.

Thanks for the response. I like to get input from someone who has experience in the field in which I am researching.

Google does know. Unfortunately, Google also knows things that just aren't so, nor worth knowing! Lol...

Don't get me wrong, I use Google a lot like everyone else, but there is still nothing like the personal touch with someone with experience, and for that, I say thank you!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 499  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS