RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 529  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 09:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since that didn't work, I pulled out my hammer and small, stiff, putty knife, and drove it in between the two.

[image]

Applying a good amount of pressure to the point where I didn't want to break my knife, and still no movement.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Time to get the large screwdriver and drive that in between the two.

[image]

Ah, finally got it separated. However, the glue held. The wood split. Well, I guess that answers the question as to whether or not the Great Stuff Foam Adhesive will stick to itself or not. It definitely does!

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/19 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am happy with those tests. That stuff does a very good job at holding wood together.

Moving on to my wood framed door. This is not an exact representation of what I want to do with the door frame, but it will give you an idea of how I want to create the frame.

Since plywood will bend easier one way than another, I want to use that to create the outer frame.

This pic represents a couple of ways of how plywood will bend.

[image]

If I take a 3 foot long piece of plywood, say 3/4" x 1.5", the red arrows indicate the direction that the plywood will bend easiest.

The yellow arrows, indicate the direction that the plywood will be stiffer. I figure if I combine the 2, that should make this very stiff for a door frame.

These are not exact dimensions, but by gluing some plywood together I should get the best of both worlds.

Should be less flex and twist this way, without having to worry about it warping, like it would if I used a solid piece of wood.

Then I can glue insulation in the center, and glue plywood on the inside and outside, and have a stiff, somewhat insulated door.

My next question is, can anybody think of a structural reason why this would not be a good idea? If so, let me know.

By the way, I have up to 2.5" that I can use for the thickness of the door. I don't plan on making one that thick, but could if I wanted to.

2bzy2c

California

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I am trying to follow what you intend on doing. I see you cut our two blanks for the door a few pages back. The radius you intend on bending the strips of plywood is going to be difficult as plywood resists bending due to the adhesives used to bond all the layers of wood, i.e., "Plywood". Further, the door will be subject to swelling depending on the weather and humidity. Knowing how you are obsessed with insulation and fitment, you might not be happy with the results. Exterior doors are solid for a reason. They don't swell. They use solid wood, not necessarily plywood. Interior doors can be hollow and skinned with veneer since they are indoors and not subject to the weather. Can it be done the way you intend? Probably, but there are other ways to accomplish your needs that are simpler. For the radius, I would probably use several Maple strips that are laminated and possible steamed to get them to bend without breaking. Then you can use any one of the glues you have tested, however, a simple wood glue will work just fine as it has less viscosity than the foam glues you are playing with now.

You could look for guidance under boat building for suggestions on how to make a door with the radius you desire. I think you will find, it is not all that easy.

* This post was edited 10/09/19 11:37am by 2bzy2c *

My advice is worth exactly what you paid for it.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2bzy2c wrote:

Well, I am trying to follow what you intend on doing. I see you cut our two blanks for the door a few pages back. The radius you intend on bending the strips of plywood is going to be difficult as plywood resists bending due to the adhesives used to bond all the layers of wood, i.e., "Plywood". Further, the door will be subject to swelling depending on the weather and humidity. Knowing how you are obsessed with insulation and fitment, you might not be happy with the results. Exterior doors are solid for a reason. They don't swell. They use solid wood, not necessarily plywood. Interior doors can be hollow and skinned with veneer since they are indoors and not subject to the weather. Can it be done the way you intend? Probably, but there are other ways to accomplish your needs that are simpler. For the radius, I would probably use several Maple strips that are laminated and possible steamed to get them to bend without breaking. Then you can use any one of the glues you have tested, however, a simple wood glue will work just fine as it has less viscosity than the foam glues you are playing with now.

You could look for guidance under boat building for suggestions on how to make a door with the radius you desire. I think you will find, it is not all that easy.

Yea, I guess I didn't explain that very well. My primary goal with the door is to stiffen it quite a bit and keep it from twisting and racking. The original door was impossible to seal because it would flex so much.

It didn't take much pressure to do that either. The drawing below is a little more in line with what I am trying to accomplish.

[image]

The rectangle part of the door is what I am trying to stiffen. the black and red parts indicate the plywood which is run different directions in order to stiffen the door frame, which will also be skinned by plywood on both sides.

I also will insulate the center, inside the framework of the door.

The upper portion, which is rounded, will be dealt with differently. I have no intention of trying to bend any plywood up there, as that would just be an exercise in frustration, and futility.

Thanks for the post.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 09:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm sure you will all be thrilled, I am about done with the glue testing! Yay! Lol.

This first pic is of 2 pieces of plywood that were coated with Por 15. As you remember, the Great stuff adhesive did not adhere well to the coated plywood.

These 2 pieces of plywood were also coated with Por 15, but I used Chemlink in between them, and after curing, I tried to pry them apart. As you can see, by the bend, there is a lot of pressure on the putty knife, and the plywood is still is not coming apart.

[image]

Eventually, I used a claw hammer to get them apart. This was the result.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also glued up some foam insulation with the Great Stuff adhesive. In this pic, you can see I am applying a lot of pressure with the putty knife and it will not budge.

[image]

Applying pressure from the end, instead of the side, yielded different results. It still took a good amount of pressure, but it did separate.

[image]

After it separated, I was able to pull the adhesive off of the foam without damaging the foam, so overall, it's not as strong with the foam as I had hoped.

That should about wrap up the adhesive testing, as far as I know. Looking forward to getting other work done instead of that.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/19 04:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You do realize you can get other work done while the glue is curing, don't you? It's ok to multitask.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

You do realize you can get other work done while the glue is curing, don't you? It's ok to multitask.

Haha....I was thinking the same thing, just didn't say it! My wife claims men can not multitask well. She tells me this while I'm working a project and talking on the phone at the same time....go figure....

Al

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

FloridaRosebud wrote:

Bruce Brown wrote:

Haha....I was thinking the same thing, just didn't say it! My wife claims men can not multitask well. She tells me this while I'm working a project and talking on the phone at the same time....go figure....

Al

WOW! What a concept! Why didn't I think of that? Lol.

Actually, I did. I was multi tasking, just the other part of what I was doing, had nothing whatsoever to do with the motor home, so I didn't post anything about it.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 529  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS