RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 550  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 11/24/19 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found something out last night, that is a good sign.

I went out to the motor home to do some work. Outside temps were about 40 degrees, (yes, F), with the inside of the coach about 45.

I turned on my little, portable heater, which only pulls about 7 amps, so we're not looking at a 5000 btu heater.

After about an hour, the inside temp was about 60 degrees. I did not have the plastic hanging down up front, and the area at the front of the living room windows, was about 55 degrees.

To me, that is a BIG win. The area around the entry door is not sealed, but then again, the rest of the coach is buttoned up tight enough, that there is no place for any air to go, anyway.

So, it looks like this will be fairly easy to heat, even without a propane furnace.

By the way, it was raining, so it was also damp, and just ugly outside. So far, so good. Wahoo!!!

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is this week over yet? Is it full moon? Ugh..... Lol....

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/26/19 09:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyhow, moving on....

I bought several 2 x 3's this week to use for framing out the toilet area in the back corner.

Would I have had to use 2 x 3's? No. however, I figured that will be an area with some bumping and banging into the wall, since it will be between the toilet and the one shower wall.

I decided to add a little strength in between those 2 areas, hence the 2 x 3's.

[image]

My first attempt at putting up the 2 x 3 on the wall was a fail. I cut that one to length, cut the angle at the top, and then got out my Kreg Jig to make the pocket holes.

Thank goodness I had taken the pictures of the wall with measurements, so I knew where to put my pocket holes.

After setting up the jig, I proceeded to drill the holes to get ready to screw it fast to the wall.

I test fit the piece and realized I had failed. I drilled the pocket holes from the wrong side. DUH...

The way the angle at the top was cut, after drilling, the screws would have been coming from the wall to the inside, instead of from the inside, into the wall.

Turning the 2 x 3 around, and now the angle is the wrong way. OOPS.

Well, at least I had a template to make another one.

So, I made another one, test fit it, added some adhesive to the back side, screwed it into place. Yay!!!

After all the screws were in, I must say, it was very solid in place. Once the adhesive cures, it will be even more solid.

So, the piece I drilled wrong, I cut up and used it on the floor, for both directions shown in the pic. Again, after screws and adhesive, both of them were very solid.

I am impressed.

Took my time today, since this was the first "real" time using the Kreg Jig. I think I like it.

Hope your week is going a little better than mine was.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 01:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why frame across bottom of doorway?

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

Why frame across bottom of doorway?

Door. What door? Lol.

You've heard it called the "throne"? Well, it will be the throne. There is going to be a raised portion going in there, and the toilet will sit on top of it.

Originally, there was about an 8 inch platform that the toilet sat on top of, even with the black tank below the floor.

So, there will be a step up, going in.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/19 10:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

More fun in the sun today, only the sun wasn't shining! The pic is pretty well self explanatory.

I managed to get the top section cut to fit the shape of the roof. A 2 x 6 was used, so I had enough height to use only one piece of wood while cutting it to the roof shape.

Let me tell ya, flat and square is easier than curved. However, I am still glad I left the roof curved, as I will be happier when it's finished.

These pieces today are not glued in yet, just cut and fit together with a couple of screws. I still have another to cut and fit over top of the doorway, before gluing and screwing it all together.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! [emoticon]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wahoo! Got the rest of the framing in for the toilet area. All the stuff that was not glued and screwed in, is now glued and screwed.

In addition, the second header is in, the upright is in on the back wall.

As solid as that structure is, I think I could support about 1/2 of an elephant with it. LOL!

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Couple of notes here. In this pic, the red arrow is pointing to the upright on the back wall.

The black arrow is pointing to the 2 x 3 on the floor. The wall upright is sitting on top of the one on the floor, with glue and Kreg screws holding it in place.

[image]

Why does that matter?

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/19 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over the years, I've made some measuring mistakes, so I thought I would try to stop that from happening again.

[image]

When I measured from the bottom up, I needed to mark the 2 x 3 so I could drill the holes for the Kreg screws.

Remember, these are getting screwed to the 1/2" plywood on the back wall.

As such, I clamped my tape measure on to the upright, ad left it at the 2.5" mark, because this was sitting on top of a 2 x 3.

I figured that would be easier than trying to add/subtract 2.5" from whatever measurement I needed to drill those holes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 550  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS