RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 675  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/20 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, with that in mind, so far I am happy. I will adjust the infeed and outfeed tables to see if that makes any difference.

The tables are not perfectly level with the base under the cutter head and feed rollers, so we'll see if that makes any difference.

Obviously, since I didn't have to pay for this, that is even better.

That being said - Harbor Freight had them on their website for $349, and a coupon was found on the internet, so the cost was only $269.

Even if I was going to buy one, so far, that would be acceptable.

Next question is, why do I need one of these?

Well, I have some black walnut lumber that I bought at the estate sale from my grandfather years ago. I want to use some of that lumber in this moho build. That lumber is a pair of planks that are about 12 or 13 inches wide and about 12 feet long, also rough cut.

So, you can look forward to some black walnut being used in this construction.

That explains why I "needed" one of these, but since "Santa" bought it for me, I am not adding it to the cost of the build.

Wahoo!!

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/05/20 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I remember when we were kids we used to have snipe hunts in the field behind our houses. Always was a good time. Eventually they built more houses back there that ruined our fun.

As far as tools go, I never count the price of a tool as part of the price of the project unless that tool would only be used for that specific project. Up to you how you want to count your expenses.

1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

I remember when we were kids we used to have snipe hunts in the field behind our houses. Always was a good time. Eventually they built more houses back there that ruined our fun.

As far as tools go, I never count the price of a tool as part of the price of the project unless that tool would only be used for that specific project. Up to you how you want to count your expenses.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't. In this project, I will, only because I am buying the item at that time for this project. I probably would have bought it at a later time anyhow, but just for the sake of when I bought it, I think I will.

However, since Santa brought the planer, that's not included.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/05/20 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Speaking of planers, I must relay this scenario from years ago.

Years ago, I was doing a bunch of woodworking as a hobby, and I got tired of using my 12 inch wide Craftsman planer, and then gluing up boards to make an 18 or 20 inch wide board to put on top of a chest or cabinet that I was making.

So, I started looking for larger planers. I finally found one a little west of Chicago. We were in Penna.

I called and made arrangements to look at it, and we drove out to have a look.

This would take a 24" wide board, weighed probably about 2000 lbs, and was a real beast.

So, we drove out there, found the place, which was a small community of houses, which was rectangular in nature, with a road running both out around the outside, and down the center in between the houses.

[image]

The red above indicates the road leading into and around the houses in the development. The blue rectangles, are where the houses were located. The green was the road between the houses on both sides.

So, I ended up buying the planer. What I came to find out was, the center road was not a road at all.

Everybody in this development owned an Airplane, every house had an airplane Hanger, and the road in the center, was actually an Airstrip.

What a concept. I was impressed. Like I said, this was years ago, I was younger, but definitely impressed anyway.

Sadly, I don't own that planer anymore.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/20 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There's a place like that in Naperville, IL. The beige is roadways for cars, the grey is runway or taxiway for planes. Has been there a long time, first came across it in mid 70's.
[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

STBRetired

I-80 and I-55

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/20 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTW, had a chance to look at the inside of the cylinders yet? And will your endoscope allow you to capture pictures?

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/20 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a whole lot of "Fly-in" communities around the US. FL has a bunch, but they are pretty much everywhere they are allowed.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

There's a place like that in Naperville, IL. The beige is roadways for cars, the grey is runway or taxiway for planes. Has been there a long time, first came across it in mid 70's.

I ran across the one in the 1980's. Funny thing while we were there. The guy's grandmother lived with them in their house. She was in her early 90's.

She told my wife, "I used to live in downtown Chicago. I hate it here. There's nothing to do"!

What would a 90 year old woman do in the city? Lol.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

BTW, had a chance to look at the inside of the cylinders yet? And will your endoscope allow you to capture pictures?

I can take pictures or video. Of course, once I have the video, I can also take pictures out of that.

Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to do anything. I have to make a choice as to my next move.

In order to access the plugs, I need to do one of two things.

Either I have to take my tool shelves apart that are sitting on top of the doghouse, and pull the doghouse out, OR, I need to cut out the front wheel wells, so I can jack up the front end, remove the front tires, so I can get to the plugs from underneath.

How's that for a choice? Lol. In the long run, cutting the wheel wells out would be a better use of time, since they need to be cut out any way.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/20 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been tied up with a whole bunch of stuff going on here at the end/beginning of the year.

I have a computer business customer who does income taxes for people.

This year, we just got beat up big time. The software they use for this tax year, requires Windows 10 64 bit.

Some of their machines were not up to snuff, so I ended up adding ram to some, replacing hard drives, upgrading to Win 10.

That broke a bunch of other stuff, like a lot of Windows upgrades does. Spent one day on the phone with tech support for 4 hours trying to figure out why the new installation of their software would not work.

The server for the office, was not capable of being upgraded to run the new software, so I built another server for the new software, which also required running new network cable to tie it into the network, and on and on and on. Lol.

Hey, more money for the moho rebuild! Yay!!!

With all that, I think I have one more day to be there, and hopefully that should wrap things up.

And that, is why businesses like to keep running the older software as long as they can, to prevent breaking all kinds of things when upgrading.

If you only have one computer, it's one thing. When you have 3, 5, 10, or 20 machines, it's a whole different ball game.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 675  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.