RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 682  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/20 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pulled the other side of the roofing back today. I worked on getting the seam ChemLink sanded off, well, ground off with the grinder and flap wheel.

I now have all the seams leveled off, as well as the ChemLink covering the screw heads.

In this pic the arrow is pointing to an area that I sanded with the orbital sander with 40 grit sandpaper. I did not wipe the dust off before I took the pic.

[image]

Is that all I did? Ah, yes. That took a couple of hours. It wasn't a 10 minute job, unfortunately.

Next move is to finish scuffing up the top of the plywood. I hope I can get that done tomorrow, but we'll see.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/20 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I did it.

I wasn't going to do it.

I should have not done it.

However, I did it.

Well, actually, I kind of didn't do it.

Say WHAT????

I let my wife talk me out of going out to work tonight.

As a result, I got nothing done today.

We had some other stuff going on, and we managed to get that done.

Then, we came home and sat down. That was a mistake.

Turned out, our get up and go .... got up and went! Lol...

Oh, come on, you've done the same thing. Lol.

So, tomorrow is another day. Maybe I can get up really early and work for a couple of hours before the rest of our day starts. ... Yea, right!

So, I hope to have an update tomorrow night.

Thanks for hanging in there! [emoticon]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today was really gorgeous. Sunshine, not too hot, not too cold, a slight breeze going, maybe 2 - 5 mph.

So, this afternoon, I pulled the roofing to one side so I could continue to sand the plywood on the roof.

It started off looking like this.....

[image]

After a little while a puff of wind came along, not very much of one, but a little increase, and at this point, I was suddenly looking at this.... Lol...

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I then pulled the rubber off to the side again, and continued to sand the drivers side of the roof.

Suddenly, I heard a sound like a "whoomp". I looked up and this is what I saw.

[image]

I was not sanding at the rear of the coach when it happened, I was still sanding on the drivers side. I just walked to the rear to take the picture.

Next picture is where it went...

[image]

Yup, just slid right off the passenger side, onto the scaffolding.

Well, might as well keep on sanding, because I wanted to sand the passenger side after the drivers side, anyway.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I continued sanding for a while and several diesel trucks went past our house, and I thought to myself, wow, those trucks really stink.

A few minutes later, I discovered that it wasn't the trucks that were smelling bad. Turns out, it was my sander.

Then it started to sound funny. After about a minute, it just locked up. Then the smoke really started rolling out of the vents on the sander.

Yup, I blew it up. (figuratively speaking).

Well, that required another trip to the Home Depot for this.

[image]

By the time we got back, it was dark and the time to work was over. Bummer, I really had planned to finish sanding the roof today, if the sander had held up.

I only have a touch over 6 feet to sand, that is about 4 feet wide, so it should be easy to finish tomorrow.

Sander cost me $47.67. Adding that to our prior total of $10,529.79, and we have a new total of 10,577.46.

So much for today's work.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 09/25/20 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered placing a sheet of galvanized steel or aluminum, now that you have all this work done it should be worth the expense.

Aluminum roof with a coat of rubber to minimize the noise of rain?

navegator

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

navegator wrote:

Have you considered placing a sheet of galvanized steel or aluminum, now that you have all this work done it should be worth the expense.

Aluminum roof with a coat of rubber to minimize the noise of rain?

navegator

I have not considered that. Most of the Epdm/TPO roofs are very thin, and not reinforced. If you grab it by a corner it is fairly easy to tear.

The TPO/Epdm that I am using is about 3 times thicker than what would normally be used on an rv. It is also reinforced with fiberglass in between the 2 layers which makes it very strong.

It is not possible to just "tear a piece off" of this stuff. Add to that, it is white on top, and it reflects sunshine very well.

In fact, when laying side by side, the white TPO is barely warm and very touchable in full sun. Black Epdm - ah yea, not so much. That gets very hot. Hot enough to burn you in a matter of seconds.

When it rains, the TPO helps dampen the sound as well.

This stuff is actually used on commercial buildings, and from what I've seen, holds up very well.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I woke up this morning, and .... actually this was yesterday morning. I had planned to finish sanding the roof yesterday, but, alas, it was wet, as this pic shows.

Unfortunately, it stayed that way all day. According to the weather forecast, there was no more than a 10% chance of rain, so it used all of the 10% plus.

Before I could finish my cup of coffee, it started raining. Rained on and off all day. Bummer.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 09/27/20 09:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today started off just like yesterday, wet. Eventually, it stopped raining, and started to dry off a little bit.

I decided to go out and pull the rubber back up front, so I could try to finish the sanding that I needed to do.

I did manage to finish up the sanding on the last part of the roof that had not been done.

You can see on the right side of this pic, that the driveway is still partly wet.

[image]

After finishing sanding, I put the rubber back in place and attached the straps again.

Less than 2 minutes after I strapped it down, it started raining again. Lol. At least it waited long enough for me to finish.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you imagine all the people needing rain that had to wait while you finished sanding the roof?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 682  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.