RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 473  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 02/06/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After all that, what did I do today? Well, after leaving the foam board pressed up against the roof for 2 days, I pulled the supports out from that, and proceeded to put up the last 3 foam boards.

Here is a pic of the ceiling as it is now. This finished off the rest of the ceiling/roof, with the exception of the ends, which are the curved portions.

I will leave the braces in place for 2 days before I pull them down, and continue with the curved areas.

That didn't take all that long, since I had already cut the pieces to size before today.

Had a little more rain today, woo hoo! Lol. Ugh...

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are a couple of things that I have been wanting to do for a while, and just finally got to it today.

First, a while ago I bought a quart of Glidden Gripper, which is a primer/sealer. I painted that on a pair of pieces of wood which were clamped together at a right angle and left to dry.

Here's a pic of it.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 09:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next I put that "glued" wood into my press, along with my scale to see how much pressure it would take to break the joint.

Here we see the scale sitting at 170 lbs, and just an instant after this was taken, it split apart.

You may remember when testing wood glue with plywood a while back that with those tests, the glue held until well past 400 lbs.

While this did not compare well to wood glue, I was a little surprised that the Glidden held as well as it did, just being a primer.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here we see the results after the wood was broken in two. I am not sure how well it shows up in the picture, but some of the wood gave away before the paint, which kind of surprised me.

Granted this was not tested with plywood, but a soft pine, but still, it held pretty well, based on what it actually is for.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally, I wanted to try the Loctite spray foam insulation as a "glue" in between 2 pieces of the green foam board I got at Lowes.

So, I sprayed some on one piece of foam, squeezed them together, and pulled them apart, and took this picture. After taking the pic, I put them back together and weighted them down.

I will let them sit for a day or two, and then try pulling them apart, so I don't have those results yet.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 02/07/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After doing that, what did I actually DO today?

Nothing!

Had a visitor this morning, and then we had some shopping to do this afternoon. Hey, gotta buy those groceries some time or another.

By the time I got home, it was raining, so I could not cut the excess insulation off of the outside of the coach up front, so I'll get that next day that it's not raining, which is supposed to be tomorrow.

Also, tomorrow, will be the second day for the last 3 pieces of insulation that I put on the ceiling/roof. The supports holding that up are due to come down tomorrow, so I should have more pics of that.

So, with all that vast amount of nothing going on today, tomorrow should be better. Yee Haw!

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After allowing the Loctite spray insulation cure overnight, I pulled it apart today to see what it looked like.

Some of it pulled the insulation apart, but not a whole lot of it. I did manage to transfer the blue lettering from one side to the other, though! Lol. If only that was the goal, this one nailed it.

Pulling these 2 apart took about the same amount of effort as the Great Stuff Foam.

Either way, as a last resort, I guess the spray foam could be used for glue, providing there is sufficient pressure applied to hold them together until it cures. Overall, there are definitely better ways to hold the foam together than using spray foam.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Next I removed braces today that were holding up the last of the ceiling panels, so the center section is complete. Yee Haw!

[image]

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After that, what did I do? This afternoon turned out to be fairly nice, with the sun out, so I decided to remove the extra spray foam insulation from the outside of the coach, that I sprayed in there a couple of days ago.

Here you can see the board and spray insulation are now flush.

[image]

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 02/08/19 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know if you have ever had this happen to you, but it happens to me sometimes.

While I am getting ready to work on a certain part of a project, sometimes I don't know exactly how I want to do it.

I can think about it ahead of time, and figure it out before I get there. Other times, even after the thought process, I still don't know until I actually am ready to start that process.

Today was one of those days. I wanted to start putting the insulation on the curved part of the ceiling, but still wasn't settled on how I wanted to do that.

I really did not want to use 2 pieces - one of them 1" thick and the other 1/2" thick to fill in that area. I really wanted to use 1.5", with glue on the top, and be done with it.

Finally I came up with an idea that I thought "might" work. All I needed to do was to try it, with out the adhesive. It worked. Yay.

You may remember that the insulation seems to bend a little better when bending it "across the grain", or from side to side.

That's how I tried it with a twist.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 473  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS