RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 469  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

Have you considered extending the yellow top horizonal board all the way to the top? Above it to the roof appears to be a void behind the cabinets when they are hung. The space behind the board and between the roof and wall could still be filled with foam.

The Green outside connector from the wall to roof could also serve as a roof gutter by curling it up in a gutter form extending no more than 1" beyond the wall.

First of all, the gutter sounds like a cool idea. Whether I can curl that up or use another plastic one, I want a gutter there either way to help keep the water from running down the side of the rv.

Secondly, the answer to extending the yellow board to the top, is no.

I am attaching another drawing, to try to explain it a little better.

[image]

The red areas with arrows is insulation both below the roof joists, and in between the roof joists.

When I put in the yellow piece of plywood, I stopped it just below the top wall plate. If I extend the plywood upwards, that will put a solid connection between the plywood and the top wall plate, and I don't want that.

I wanted to put insulation on the inside of the top wall plate. So, the blue striped area is for spray foam insulation, and will cover the inside of the wall plate, as well as in between the roof joists.

I wanted that entire area covered with insulation, not plywood, to slow heat and cold infiltration/loss.

Hopefully that will make it a little clearer of what I was thinking.

Clear as mud!.? Lol.

Thanks.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

fulltimin wrote:

The green is what I have been trying to figure out a solution for. I would like to have a V shaped piece of either steel or aluminum to tie the wall and roof plywood together.

[image]

Are you looking for any major structural element from the "green" part? I did some quick searching on Google for some angle iron assuming the inside angle is 45 degrees (even though it looks tighter than that) and the only place I found it has a minimum order size of 2 tons.

If you are NOT looking for structural strength, then I THINK you can bend that angle on a sheet metal brake. I am not home so cannot look/test to see if the one we use for race car panels can bend that far, but I do know it will go past 90 degrees. Just not certain on how far. We bend .050 aluminum which has fair rigidity, but I doubt that it would do much more that tie the plywood together. Doubt that it would add any strength to the wall/roof junction. Maybe steel would be better, but I don't know if we could bend a significant length of that stuff.

Saw a link for a company that will make custom angle iron, but I was afraid to go look at prices.

Maybe you could use a solid piece of 1/2" or 3/4" PVC trim and just cut that angle on a table saw? At least you would not need to worry about rust or corrosion. Might even be able to solvent glue a gutter made from more PVC to it.

Ah, yea. 2 tons is just a touch more than I need. Lol.

I am looking for some structural strength, but not necessarily between the wall and roof. I want to mount some brackets to the green angle to be able to mount my solar panels up top.

So, I do need some strength, but I am not all that concerned about the wall to ceiling strength. If I get extra strength, that would be fine, but it's not my end goal.

I suppose in the worst case scenario, I could weld a couple of pieces of flat stock together at whatever angle I need.

Thanks.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 09:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

STBRetired wrote:

Played with you drawing to turn the green angle into a solid block of PVC (sort of)

[image]

I though of using steel for that, and attach my brackets to hold the solar panels.

Not out of the question as of yet.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 03/11/19 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I moved the fridge and stove today, to the rear of the coach on the passenger side, and then moved the table front.

[image]

No doubt about it, I like this configuration much better than having the table at the back. It leaves a much more open feel.

Either way, that 3' or so across the back will be used for something. Whether it's a rear bath back there, or a combination of bath, and fridge, or something, I like the look of this much better.

Anyone sitting at the table would still be part of the conversation that could be taking place in the living area.

The table would have to be raised some in order to accommodate the wheel well below it, but that's not a major issue.

I think we have at least a partial winner here! Yee Haw! Thanks for all the suggestions.

Feel free to continue.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Below is a message that was sent to me via pm, and I feel it may be of help to someone else. I know many people want a dedicated bed area, but not everyone does.

So, here is a viewpoint from someone who doesn't have a full time bed setup. Thought you may be interested. Thank you again to the original poster for the info! Enjoy!...

I follow your posts on a daily basis, just have never felt I had anything to contribute in a post. But now....

We have a Lazy Daze. Most Lazy Daze rvs do not have a dedicated bed. Instead there are two sofas, across from one another, that move out to form a few different configurations of a bed.

#1-You can pull both sofas completely out and together and get a king size bed.

#2-You can pull one sofa completely out and get a double bed/big twin on one side and a twin on the other side.

#3- You can leave both sofas unpulled and each have a twin.

I know that a lot of people like their dedicated bed, but for the few 2 or 3 minutes it takes to put our configuration together, and the 5 minutes or so it takes to break it down every morning, it is worth it to us to have one room be a living room and a bedroom.

Lazy Daze has a website where you can see floorplans.

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 01:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a similar setup in a tow trailer. It had a booth dinette that made into a bed, a swing down from the celling, and a couch that made into a bed. We used the couch as our bed. We ended up leaving the couch made as the bed all the time as storing the bedding and re-making the bed every night got real old fast. It didn't take long to get a larger TT with a separate bedroom. A corner bed is also something that will get old real quick. You are in the planning stage now and can make it the way you want, and can live with. There are some Class Cs that have a similar layout to your last one. There are quite a few for sale because they are a handful to handle, due to the location of the heaver items. Maybe looking at floorplans of other RVs would be good, to see where the weight placement is. Compromises are always required and made. The last thing you want is something you and DW cannot stand to ride in. Being a former Tow driver, you probably realize this.

Wildmanbaker

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 03/12/19 10:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wildmanbaker wrote:

We had a similar setup in a tow trailer. It had a booth dinette that made into a bed, a swing down from the celling, and a couch that made into a bed. We used the couch as our bed. We ended up leaving the couch made as the bed all the time as storing the bedding and re-making the bed every night got real old fast. It didn't take long to get a larger TT with a separate bedroom. A corner bed is also something that will get old real quick. You are in the planning stage now and can make it the way you want, and can live with. There are some Class Cs that have a similar layout to your last one. There are quite a few for sale because they are a handful to handle, due to the location of the heaver items. Maybe looking at floorplans of other RVs would be good, to see where the weight placement is. Compromises are always required and made. The last thing you want is something you and DW cannot stand to ride in. Being a former Tow driver, you probably realize this.

A corner bed is what we used to deal with, as the original floor plan looked very similar to what is below. We had to crawl in over the one corner, to get into bed.

While not the easiest to get in or out of, it was do-able. The worst part was trying to make the bed, so it usually never was "fully made". Just kind of give the covers a good throw in the right direction, and that's good enough. Lol.

[image]

Granted, having a vehicle that does not handle well is not a lot of fun to drive. The P30 Chevy chassis needed a little assistance, in the form of air bags, to really handle nicely.

Since we have some time to consider the possibilities, I am sure we'll keep playing with ideas until we finalize one.

I tend to think we could get by without a full time bed. Then again, we could temporarily try a setup that would allow us to try it out, without fully finishing the inside of the rv.

Hey, maybe my son was right. Build some cabinets, and just keep moving them around til we get what we want, and fill in the blanks. Lol.

Anyone else out there using an rv without a full time bed?

If so, please let me know, and how you like it. As the pm I received said, for them it is not a problem.

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/13/19 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about a Murphy bed?

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bruce Brown wrote:

How about a Murphy bed?

Also a possibility.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 03/13/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm Popeye the sailor man..
I live in a frying pan..
They turned on the heat..
I burnt my feet..
I'm Popeye the sailor man.. Toot Toot!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 469  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS