RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 658  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, NO! He's at it again.... Thinking. Lol.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today I took some 1/8" thick plywood that I had left over from the plywood that I put on the inside walls, and cut some of them into strips that are a little over 1.5" wide. Like, so....

[image]

Why, you might ask? Because they bend easily, and I need to bend a bunch of them.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This first step, was to tape a couple of layers to the inside curve of the door frame, like this. That will take up nearly 1/4" of space on the inside of the curve.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/19 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why would I do that? Because I could. Lol. Next step was to add some more strips on the inside of those and glue them together. That will create an exact replica of the upper door frame.

After adding a few extra layers, I needed to add some clamps. So, that is what I did. Unfortunately, I ran out of clamps.

What is the one thing every woodworker needs? MORE CLAMPS!

Yea, even with all these, I still only had about about 1/2 of what I needed to do the entire door frame. Sounds like another run to Harbor Freight coming up. Lol.

[image]

Yea, that's what I did today, and it took a while. Longer than you might think.

Need more clamps, Capt'n.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/19 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, today, I started gluing, once again.

This pic doesn't look like much, but I spent some time early this afternoon gluing more strips together, and then tonight, I glued some more. The glue only takes 2-4 hours to cure.

The curved portion is now nearly 3/4" thick, so it won't be long until I can pull this off and continue gluing on the table, which should make things go faster.

[image]

Hey, I didn't even have to use all my clamps today. Yay! Lol.

Why am I doing this like this? Well, I figure if I build the outer edges of the door in place, it has to fit when I am done, right? Famous last words, I guess.

Anyhow, This keeps getting stiffer with each layer, so it should not be long until I can skin the one side, then insulate, then skin the other side.

The door frame, (steel portion), is not 100% identical on both sides at the curved portion. It's close, but not quite. That's why I am taking a little extra time to get it, hopefully, fitting correctly.

I can always trim a little off here or there if I need to.

Like I said, it doesn't look like much, but there was a lot of progress today, that the pic just doesn't show.

Wahoo!

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 09:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wahoo! Pulled the partial door frame out today, and continued to add layers of plywood to build up the outer section of the door. I laid it on a small table and just had a great gluing time. Twice, actually. Earlier in the day, and later in the day.

Fun at it's finest?

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is a section of the outer frame. I've gotten 9 layers glued together, in between the red arrows, and only need to add a few more in this direction.

That means I have about 1" of the outer frame glued together. I think I'll do about 1.5" or so.

Even though this looks like it should only take about 15 minutes, is doesn't. Until I get the plywood cut to length, adhesive applied, then fumble around trying to get everything lined up and clamped, it just takes a while.

Longer than you would think. Then again, that's nothing unusual.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/19 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to bring this picture back. The red arrow points to what the outer edge of the door will look like as far as plywood direction.

The yellow arrow points to the orientation of the plywood grain that I will be adding on the inside. Then again, maybe aluminum angle would work well in there. Just thought of that.

Anyway, I want the plywood grain as shown with the red arrow along the edge of the door. Why?

Any screws that I need to add need to be able to grab into something without splitting the wood. Going through the plywood grain as the red arrow shows, will work with screws, nicely. You know, like hinge screws.

If those same screws are screwed into plywood as shown on the left with the yellow arrow, it tends to split the plywood, and has less holding power.

That's the reason for gluing this up that way. This will give me the strength I am looking for, to keep the door straight and sturdy, compared to what was on her to begin with.

Oh, by the way, ignore the mismatched plywood here. This is to explain grain/screw direction only.

[image]

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/19 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are using the frame to make an exact copy of the opening and using that as the door, where is the room for the swing the hinged door going to come from? It's one thing to pull the door straight out but another to create a door with the room for hinges and swing.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/19 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

If you are using the frame to make an exact copy of the opening and using that as the door, where is the room for the swing the hinged door going to come from? It's one thing to pull the door straight out but another to create a door with the room for hinges and swing.

Before I started gluing up the door, I added 2, 1/8" strips to the steel frame the door goes into. That will give me nearly 1/4" on each side and top for extra space.

Here is the pic I posted about temporarily adding extra plywood, that will not be part of the door, nor part of the frame. Once the door is built, these pieces will be removed, and I'll have, hopefully, enough of space for the door to swing open and closed.

Should it turn out that, I need more space, I can trim a small amount off of the door itself.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 658  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.