RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 739  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

How is that hot pot coming off the stove going to play with a wood countertop coated in lacquer or epoxy?

We never put anything on the counter top without some kind of heat protector first.

Then again, one of the cool things about lacquer is, that it is easy to remove, refinish, or just add another layer.

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too late now but would have saved cutting large holes for stove and sink if space had been left for them in the assembling process. Perhaps can utilize the cut-outs for a stove and sink cover to increase counter tops when not in use.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

Too late now but would have saved cutting large holes for stove and sink if space had been left for them in the assembling process. Perhaps can utilize the cut-outs for a stove and sink cover to increase counter tops when not in use.

Actually, I would rather cut out a hole, rather than trying to make stuff fit a hole already cut.

Then again, I am not working from a set of already decided blueprints, knowing what is going in before construction starts.

That leaves me some extra flexibility during construction. That's the stuff that costs extra money during a normal construction process. [emoticon]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By the way, does anyone have a good, easy, quick, cheap, way of building a scaffold for temporary use to get up on the roof of an rv to work on the roof?

This is for a 36' 5th wheel, which probably needs the roof, (tpo/rubber) replaced. I'll need to be working from both the sides and the top of the roof.

I think the roof is about 11'6" high, and about 12'6" with the ac.

Nothing like asking for the impossible, is there?

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/20 10:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you considered renting a few sections of scaffolding and running a walk board between a couple towers on each side?

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PastorCharlie wrote:

Have you considered renting a few sections of scaffolding and running a walk board between a couple towers on each side?

I have looked into that, but was also thinking, perhaps I am missing something, and someone has a better "mousetrap" that I had not heard of before.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 08:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing like spending the hottest part of the day working outside. Lol.

Anyway, I spent a bunch of time sanding both of the counter tops. When I screwed the 2 pieces together, they ended up slightly mismatched at the joint.

As a result, I had to do a little sanding to level the 2 surfaces. My first round was with 40 grit.

This is what some of it looks like after a good sanding with a rough grit. Ah, yea, some circular scratches from the coarse sandpaper.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After switching to a finer 120 grit, those scratches finally disappeared. It does take a while, but the coarse scratches are gone.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 09:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a little trick that I have used over the years when using Lacquer. I wet a paper towel with Lacquer Thinner, and give the wood a quick wipe.

That tells me what the wood will look like with the Lacquer finish on it. The thinner dries in a matter of seconds, so it's not like you have a lot of time to have a look.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/20 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are a couple of pictures of 2 pieces of walnut. The top piece in each picture has Por 15 on it.

The bottom piece in each picture has Lacquer on it.

The big difference between the 2, is the lighting. The first picture has natural sunlight, (well, actually, cloudy light, as it was overcast today).

[image]

The second picture has the light from a Halogen bulb. They have a tendency to give a reddish tint to the wood, as you can see in this second pic.

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 739  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.