RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 693  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fulltimin

Home is where we Park It.

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Second pic shows from the rear towards the front of the same area.

[image]

If you want to do something, you will find a way.
If you don't, you will find an excuse.

-------------------------------------------------

Good judgement comes from experience.
A lot of experience, comes from bad judgement.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/20 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2bzy2c wrote:

If I am following and reading this correctly, you have three layers of plywood plus the
rubber roofing. At what point does the weight on the roof becomes a consideration? (Besides
the RV tipping over). ??

All kidding aside, it does seem as if there is an exceptional amount of weight up there.
Keep up the good work. I enjoy what you have done and am looking forward to seeing the
end results.

Originally, the roof had 1/2" plywood covering the entire roof, plus a piece of fiberglass on top of that. Then of course, there was an air conditioner up there, (which I won't have).

There were also cabinets around most of the interior walls attached to the ceiling/roof, many of which I won't have due to the shelves on the walls in the kitchen area. That will reduce some weight at the top as well.

The plywood roof I have is 1/4" thick, plus 1/8" glued to the top of that. Now remember, todays plywood is NOT 1/4" nor 1/8", so it actually is probably closer to 5/16" than 3/8".

Yes, I will be adding another 1/8" (so to speak), down the center of the roof, as a 4' wide piece.

The plywood is actually about .106" or as they have it advertised as 2.7mm, instead of an actual .125" or 1/8". Clear as mud, right? Lol.

Back in the day when we bought 1/2 in or 3/4 in, that's what we got. We did not buy 3/4 nominal, with .710 actual. Drives me wild when looking at actual thicknesses. Not really, but it is annoying.

All in all, I think the weight up top will be just fine, and possibly even some less than what was there originally. I won't know for sure about the entire rig, until I get it on a scale, but I think it will be ok overall.

Glad you are enjoying the thread. Thanks for the post. [emoticon]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 08:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your roof looks a little lumpy, Capt'n..........

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I decided to put my first piece of plywood in the center of the roof today. I figured it would be easier to start at the rear, so I did.

[image]

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 08:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, I needed to center the plywood on the roof. I am not sure how well this will show up, however, I found the center of the roof, as well as the center of the plywood I was putting down.

The bottom arrow shows a pencil mark on the roof, 2 feet to the passenger side of center.

The top arrow shows the center of the bottom plywood and the center of the top plywood.

[image]

This is the rear of the roof, showing the center of the new plywood and the center of the current roof.

[image]

Putting pencil marks all around the plywood on the roof, gave me a reference point for when I put down the new plywood, as well as where to put the adhesive.

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 08:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After putting the adhesive on the roof plywood, it was time to lay the new piece in place and put some weight on top of it, while the adhesive cures. That takes about 3 hours, and then the weight can be removed.

[image]

Looks like a jungle out there... Lol...

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In case you missed it in the last picture ----- I missed my mark on the plywood by about an inch.

When the plywood went down, it was off just a little, and with that adhesive, it is very difficult to move once the 2 make contact.

Fortunately, I left enough overhang here at the back, so I could trim a little off, so it's not a problem.

It would have been much nicer if I would have had a second person to help lay this down, but, it's close enough. Trimming an inch off will be just fine.

[image]

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/14/20 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By the time I got the plywood in place and weighted down, I knew it would be well past dark at the 3 hour mark for the adhesive to dry, so I just left everything up there and pulled the TPO back in place, (sort of).

And that Capt'n, is how the roof ended up looking lumpy!

[image]

sundancer268

Charlevoix

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/15/20 04:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will the new plywood be coated with POR-15 or just the glue for the TPO?

U. S. Navy (RETIRED) 1993
1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' Diesel Pusher Cummins B5.9 12 Valve Engine, Allison MD-3060 6 Speed Transmission.
TOAD: 2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Elite
Road Master Sterling All-Terrain, Airforce One

fulltimin

View Profile

Posted: 10/15/20 09:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sundancer268 wrote:

Will the new plywood be coated with POR-15 or just the glue for the TPO?

I don't really see the need for Por 15 here. The TPO will be glued down directly to the plywood, so that should be just fine for water proofing.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 693  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Restoration & Vintage RVs

> Anyone interested in 83 Pace Arrow Tear down and Rebuild?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.