RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Ideas for carrying/securing open framed generator

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Ideas for carrying/securing open framed generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next
Sponsored By:
roadjunkie

TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/17 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I purchased a new Champion 4000W generator yesterday and am looking for ideas of how to transport and secure from theft on my Gulf Stream 21 foot TT. I like the idea of having it on the trailer tonuge and saw that Camping World has a carrier that fits over the gas bottles.

Are there any other options I'm missing? I'd like to see photos of your set ups.

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/17 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You may be in luck. Thieves go for the inverter gens, not the big heavy open-frame ones.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/17 10:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very correct, 2oldman. Thieves know "good" ones from the "loud" ones. Mounting on the tongue? How heavy is it?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

roadjunkie

TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/17 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

You may be in luck. Thieves go for the inverter gens, not the big heavy open-frame ones.

That's reassuring.... I think. [emoticon]

Lwiddis wrote:

Very correct, 2oldman. Thieves know "good" ones from the "loud" ones. Mounting on the tongue? How heavy is it?

This one weighs 100 pounds. The A-frame mount cargo carrier that Camping World has supports up to 300.

downtheroad

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/17 11:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

From my experience....thieves will steal anything they can steal....open frame, inverter type or even one that is old, rusty and inoperable.

Heck, I left an old pair of vice grips on the picnic table when I went into town...They were gone when I got back.

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

2oldman

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/17 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

Heck, I left an old pair of vice grips on the picnic table when I went into town...They were gone when I got back.
That's bad luck, or camping in the wrong place. There are those who report they've never had anything stolen.

The best advice for keeping your things is to keep them OUT of sight. But, that makes camping less enjoyable, more like living in a ghetto. I don't do that. Most times I don't even lock the door, or even close it.

Lincoln4

Buckley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/17 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

downtheroad wrote:

2oldman wrote:

From my experience....thieves will steal anything they can steal....open frame, inverter type or even one that is old, rusty and inoperable.

My experience as well!

Tom, Janae, sometimes the kids, assorted significant others, and other hangers-on!
Plus Roswald and Piper, The Wonder Chugs!
2008 Tiffin Allegro 35QBA
2014 Kia Optima (On a tow dolly) Toad

My blog

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/28/17 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Road, its not the capacity of the rack that causes me concern but rather adding that 100 pounds plus rack to the tongue. Does your TV and hitch have that capacity?

roadjunkie

TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/17 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Road, its not the capacity of the rack that causes me concern but rather adding that 100 pounds plus rack to the tongue. Does your TV and hitch have that capacity?

The tongue weight, as per manufacturer, is 340 pounds. GMC says I should consider a WDH if I exceed 700 to 800 pounds tongue weight. The rack weighs 65.6 pounds. The generator is actually 98 pounds so it's a tad over 500.

* This post was edited 06/28/17 12:13pm by roadjunkie *

roadjunkie

TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 06/28/17 12:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roadjunkie wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

The tongue weight, as per manufacturer, is 340 pounds. GMC says I should consider a WDH if I exceed 700 to 800 pounds tongue weight. The rack weighs 65.6 pounds. The generator is actually 98 pounds so it's a tad over 500.

I could carry it in the back of my truck but I have a hardcover on it that won't close and lock with the generator in there plus I'd have to lift it in and out of the truck by myself.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Ideas for carrying/securing open framed generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS