RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2017 F-150HD or F-250?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2017 F-150HD or F-250?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/17 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And really, a properly setup hitch will mitigate the need for airbags.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 400,000+ miles!
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)
2015 Ford Focus ST

brulaz

Ontario Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/17 07:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From my experience, I expect the only issues with the F150HD would be the 2" class IV hitch and the weak engine braking of the Ecoboost.

But as the OP is not towing that much with it, hitch wear and slop shouldn't be that much of an issue, and if he avoids long, steep, slow descents with 20 mph hair pin turns, then I can see little problem with engine braking. And perhaps the 10 spd tranny will help as well on the descents.

We upgraded to an 3/4 ton diesel, but it's primarily a tow truck, and we tow a lot.

2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,39K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,[email protected]
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

OH48Lt

Whitehouse, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/17 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new SuperDuty has the same cab structure as the F150 now. I wonder how there is more headroom in a F250. Saw a truckload of new 2018 SuperDuty trucks in Middletown Ohio last week. Sure has a LOT of chrome on the front end.

2011 Ford F-150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

tinner12002

Lafayette Ind

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/17 08:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

I'm guessing that the F250 6.7 may actually have a lower payload rating than the F150 HD. Higher RAWR yes.
Why the diesel if it's a daily driver and you only tow 5-6 times a year? JMO but I'd get a gasser for that. Save the $9,000 for something else.

I'd have to agree with that. Diesels take a little more to maintain and if the OP didn't think he was going to go bigger during the life of the truck, gas might be the better way to go and definitely with the 250. Why work a 1/2 ton to death trying to do what a 3/4 ton will do a lot better. Just my opinion. Not sure about the mileage on the fords but the 3/4 ton Rams I've driven with the 6.4 hemi run about 20mpg at 60mph. Yes the diesel will tow a lot easier especially if he's towing in a mountainous region but does he really need it, well the OP would need to decide that, if he's not towing in the mountains then I'd stay with the gas 3/4 ton.

2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/17 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tinner12002 wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

I'm guessing that the F250 6.7 may actually have a lower payload rating than the F150 HD. Higher RAWR yes.
Why the diesel if it's a daily driver and you only tow 5-6 times a year? JMO but I'd get a gasser for that. Save the $9,000 for something else.

I'd have to agree with that. Diesels take a little more to maintain and if the OP didn't think he was going to go bigger during the life of the truck, gas might be the better way to go and definitely with the 250. Why work a 1/2 ton to death trying to do what a 3/4 ton will do a lot better. Just my opinion. Not sure about the mileage on the fords but the 3/4 ton Rams I've driven with the 6.4 hemi run about 20mpg at 60mph. Yes the diesel will tow a lot easier especially if he's towing in a mountainous region but does he really need it, well the OP would need to decide that, if he's not towing in the mountains then I'd stay with the gas 3/4 ton.

Gas HDs don't run 20 mpg highway unless the highway is downhill and there's wind at your back.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/17 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

Gas HDs don't run 20 mpg highway unless the highway is downhill and there's wind at your back.

And the engine better be off too. Gas 3/4 ton trucks are more in the 14-16 mpg combined range at best. Slightly worse than 1/2 ton trucks.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/17 10:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

tinner12002 wrote:

goducks10 wrote:

In some people's worlds they do! One of my Laborers just bought a nice Tundra mega cab 10" lift rolling on 37/13.50 mudders. Sweet looking truck fo sho. Said he was getting 26 mpg, lol!

To those touting the diesel, yes it is the superior choice for power, braking and heavier chassis, but the notion that hooking a trailer to a half ton occasionally is working it to death sounds like car salesman drivel.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/17 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And start paying retail for services and repairs and a diesel cost more than a "little" more to maintain. Rolling up to a dealer service bay in a diesel is like hanging a plaque on the grille saying "overcharge me." Not that you won't spend more than you need to on a gasser, but the charges with a diesel are just "magical" sometimes.
Went to buy a water pump for the old Dodge in my sig. Only place in Seattle area that had on OE pump in stock was a Ram dealer. Guy calmly asked me for $360 plus tax for a $160 water pump. Played dumb and asked why so much?, lol. Response was "well parts for diesels are very expensive!"

mhamershock

Forest Grove, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/17 01:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some good stuff here - thanks! My current 150 EB has no engine braking to speak of, but uphill is no problem and it runs strong at 2500-3000 RPM. I've towed the same TH with a 3/4 ton Dodge Cummins, which was a more stable and relaxing TV esp downhill. I do a lot of hills in Oregon, mostly small ones, and I like to lower torque curve of the turbos (diesel or gas). I don't like to listen to a gas V8 run at 5-6k RPM to be in the meat of the curve. So the EB (470 ft lbs) or a diesel will fit the bill.

I have 8x 2 megawatt Cummins deisel gens at my shop so I know the costs of maintenance are up there. But I also have a lot of free motor oil laying around. [emoticon]

I'm leaning towards the F-250 diesel. The F150HD is very hard to find (I found 1), and I think either way I will need to order to get what I want. I do NOT want the FX4 package, and I DO want the Tow Tech package and that's been difficult to find on a F250 Crewcab.

OP Mike

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/17 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would have the F150HD by special order.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 12  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2017 F-150HD or F-250?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS