RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Run Solar Circuit and Shore Power at the same time?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Run Solar Circuit and Shore Power at the same time?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
RedRocket204

Colorado mountains - Got trail?

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/17 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm about ready to install a smaller 200W solar system and have a question that I am finding multiple responses to. Do you run both your Solar circuit and Shore power at the same time?

Now, keep in mind I will be adding a + side 30A DC Disconnect Switch between the Charge Controller and battery bank. I already own the 30A DC Disconnect Switch and want it on there in the event I need to disconnect the Solar circuit from the battery bank. There will also be a 30A inline fuse between the Charge Controller and DC Disconnect Switch. That being I will have the ability to shut off the Solar circuit when connected to Shore power. But is that needed? Same would go for if I needed to run a generator for the AC.

Here is one source stating that it is no problems to run both at the same time: amsolar.com - Charge Controllers. Info is about 1/4 of the way down the page. But I've also read where you want to run those circuits isolated from each other.

Charge Controller is a Renogy branded 30A PWM. I've also recently replaced the TT battery charger with a Go Power! GPC-75-MAX 75 Amp 4-Stage Converter/Battery Charger.

Thanks.

I love me some land yachting

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/17 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's like connecting 2 battery chargers to a battery bank. I've run both, but when I'm hooked up and the sun's out, I just flip off the charge on my Xantrex. I would think that if the panel is providing enough amps to keep the voltage above the converter's start charging setpoint, then they aren't really both running at he same time anyway.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

red31

Bryan

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/17 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now, keep in mind, ya don't disconnect the battery/controller unless the panel(s) are disconnected first. Leave it connected 24/7/365. disconnect any load downstream and leave the controller connected.

RedRocket204

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/17 11:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks both!

red31 wrote:

Now, keep in mind, ya don't disconnect the battery/controller unless the panel(s) are disconnected first. Leave it connected 24/7/365. disconnect any load downstream and leave the controller connected.

I'm a little confused as to where you are suggesting disconnecting. Can you provide a bit more detail?

Here is what my initial plans were. Solar Panel --> Charge Controller --> 30A Inline Fuse --> 30A DC + Disconnect --> Battery Bank

Are you saying to not use my current plan for a DC disconnect without a way to disconnect between the Solar Panels and Charge Controller?

Thanks for the help here.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/17 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is the rule, that keeps everything working without damage
Connect controller to batteries first
Then connect solar panels to controller
Never disconnect controller from batteries, until you have disconnected the solar panels First
Anytime there is work to be done, batteries changed, cables cleaned etc...
Always disconnect solar panels First

Remember the solar controller is a one way device, power from panels to batteries
It does not work the other way
Connected panels without batteries can and will damage most controllers
You do not need a disconnect on the output side between controller batteries
You do want one on the input side between panels and controller

It's just another battery charger ,
You can have converter (aka shore power charger) , solar, and even the engine running, and extension cord hooked to a portable battery charger
All at the same time, with no harm to anything

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

RedRocket204

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/17 11:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Awesome and thank you! That helps clarify.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/17 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

My solar charging system plays well with all of my other charging methods. There is no reason to disconnect.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/17 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My converter takes 50W doing nothing and overcharges the batteries at 14.2V, so when I plug in power, I disconnect the batteries unless they need charging.
If you have good solar controller, it will extend battery life instead of shortening it like most converters do.

Lwiddis

Morro Bay, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/17 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm with pianotuna on this one. I do not disconnect my solar system and so far no issues....but I don't plug in much either.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

RedRocket204

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/17 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I appreciate the replies from everyone. Thank you as I have a much better understanding now.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Run Solar Circuit and Shore Power at the same time?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.