|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 60k Budget truck and camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/17 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Google "Kijiji Ram truck and camper combo Calgary" asking $48000 US

Can't finger out how to link the ad from iPad

No connection to the unit

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/17 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I should have pointed out the '04 Dodge I bought had no warranty and it was not a bare bones truck.

[image]

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/17 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In California smog tests are grandfathered till MY 1998.
Spending your money is one of the biggest wisdom one can learn in his life.
Lot of people learn to make big money, but only few how to keep them.
Find how many Football millionaires are ending in shelters.
With my mechanical skills buying new in the past was wasting money for something I did not need.
Years ago I bought GMC dually dump bed for $2500. Used it for about 8 years and parted as hydraulics went to newer truck, chassis got sold for $500 and flatbed made good garden shed.
But for my retirement, having money I figured out some luxury is needed.
With new truck not only I have extreme comfort, excelent GPS, TPMS, 360 cameras, lane departure warnings etc, but 5 years warranty with roadside assistance.
Engine runs at 1600 rpm no matter what freeway grade I am taking, so I can listen to Elvis, or Hard Rock on my Sirus radio without turning volume up.

Redwoodcamper

The real norcal

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/17 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For full time towing and camping I would not buy a gas tow vehicle. For 25-30k there are many, many drw common rail Cummins available that will give you decades of relatively trouble free ownership. It is very doable.

2011 ram 3500. Cummins 68rfe. EFI live. 276k miles and climbing.
2017 keystone bullet 204

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/17 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Redwoodcamper wrote:

For full time towing and camping I would not buy a gas tow vehicle. For 25-30k there are many, many drw common rail Cummins available that will give you decades of relatively trouble free ownership. It is very doable.

All depends on the miles you'll be putting on and how much/where you're hauling or towing it primarily.

Gas vs diesel, all your changing is the engine and about 10grand in resale if you care about resale. Very few will want a 150kmi used gasser dually for any real $. Few will bat an eye at a 150kmi diesel. It's perception, it is what it is.

Either way, $60k will net you a very nice setup. Trucks aside, $40k give or take will get you a fairly new dually, our last 2 campers were/are 10year old full featured, slide out, big tanks, 4 season blah blah blah, in very good condition for $12k and $10k respectively. They will have a similar service life as a new or almost new camper with a few repairs along the way, if you choose wisely when buying used. (If you're handy and don't think every thing that needs fixin on a camper requires a trip to Camping World!)

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/17 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Redwoodcamper wrote:

While I agree with this, $25-30k gets you a 10year old truck with 100k miles giver take.
This is nowhere near the end for these trucks and 200kmi I believe is the new 100kmi for vehicles.
What I do know, is that, in general, between 100k and 200k, regardless of brand, one has the large possibility of dropping $5-10k just in parts to keep a big truck 100%. As well, now you're dealing with a 10-20year old vehicle for 10 years compared to a 0-10 year old vehicle. That doesn't bode well for someone full timing, having to crawl under the truck in the dirt with a basic set of tools only EVERY time something goes wrong......oh, then it's rusted on and could use an impact wrench or torch to get it loose because the truck has been sitting out side for the last ___ years in a row.

Point is old trucks are great for some of us, myself included, but if I had the means, I would not want that hassle while "camping."

If I had $60k not a penny more that I had to drop on a full time TC setup, I'd be looking at $45-50k trucks that were either DEF diesels or deleted and low miles, <3 years old and a $10-15k camper. And with my experiences, I'd have a hard time looking past Arctic Fox unless a screamin deal.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/17 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With older campers, if in good condition and light use (a real possibility with a camper, not so much with an older pickup truck), the required repairs for long life will be mostly "tinkering". Some caulk here, fix some screws there, replace a faucet or pump, etc. Easy stuff mostly save for replacing a fridge or slide out assembly. AND very few things go wrong w a camper that render it inoperable. And even if it was, you still have a TRUCK.
By comparison, there are MANY things can render a truck inoperable, simple or not, that can't be remedied in the woods with some gorilla glue and a couple stainless steel screws, lol.
Thinking from worst case scenario working backwards, it makes sense to buy a top notch tow rig and a less expensive camper.

996Pilot

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 08/13/17 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found my loaded 2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn Mega Cab Cummins Turbo Diesel (in 2016 one year old) with 28,000 miles on it and purchased it for $48,000.00 with FCA 8 year 120,000 mile warranty (from a dealer with 1.9% financing). This truck is not the IDEAL camper truck (it is for us with our Outfitter Apex 8), but just to show you what you can find for the money. I think you'd be able to find a really fine 2013 or later RAM 3500 CTD with all of the bells and whistles in the 40's range and a really descent used camper for about 20K. That will get you all of the haul/tow capacity you'll ever need. JMHO

2006 Outfitter Apex 8, 260W Kyocera Solar, Blue Sky MPPT Controller, (2) Trojan T-105's, 35A Converter - 3 Stage Charger, Fastguns
2015 RAM 3500 SRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7 Cummins 68RFE
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 48RE TRADED

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/17 01:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something worth considering that I don't believe has been discussed is that IF you are going used, don't overlook the cost of SMOG repair bills if your used truck ends up without a warranty. I'm not an expert and others will have better suggestions but when I went shopping for my truck, I initially started looking at used trucks ranging from 2009 to 2014. What I found was that most of the trucks in that range (and were in my budget) had between 120k to 200k+ in miles. The mileage didn't bother me at all but it seemed that the newer engines with the more complicated smog requirements could be costly to repair / replace (especially the catalytic converters). The thing about Smog repair is that even if the truck is running just fine, if the check engine light is running, the nanny state won't let you register till it's fixed.

I ended up going with a 7.3 specifically because it was pre-smog. I don't have all of the bells, whistles and power the newer trucks have but I'm not worried about future smog repairs either. (I believe in 30 years the 7.3s will be sought after similar to how the 60s and early 70s muscle cars because of the lack of smog equipment).

Back to the camper section... If you are full timing and plan to put a LOT of miles on the road, don't underestimate the benefit of simplicity and light weight. Trucks today are built to handle the heavy loads pretty well but the stress put on your truck from a 3000lb camper versus a 5000lb camper will eventually show up. Also, though slides are nice and give lots of extra space, they also introduce failure points and areas for water penetration to occur. Again, this comes down to the number of miles your putting in on the road. A couple of hundred miles a year, no big deal, but full timing consider the use of those mechanical components and the exposure to the elements the seals will have to endure.

These considerations led me to conclude that I wanted a fiberglass camper because I anticipated being on the road a lot and though I really liked the space a slide(s) provided, I was concerned about how long it would last with the mileage I intended to travel.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 08/14/17 03:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have read a couple post mentioning the smog stuff. This I totally agree with on diesels and totally disagree with on gassers.

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
[email protected] turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
Renogy 200 Watt solar

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> 60k Budget truck and camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS