|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> On the trail to my Solar Eclipse: 2017-08-21

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/17 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

We were going to go to the Painted Hills. Looked very out of the way. Guess everyone had the same idea. We saw the eclipse near Mt. Hood. We did go to the Painted Hills a couple days later. Next trip report. It was a sight to behold wasn't it! Take care,,,

Anything on US 26 between Portland and John Day is anything but out of the way for Portlandites as they run that highway regularly in the winter to go skiing at Mt. Hood or down to Bend to play.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/24/17 09:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jefe 4x4 wrote:

Joe,
Thanks for the upgrade.
jefe

If you hit "quote" on my post, then copy the contents of the quote, removing the beginning quote and end quote blocks, you can just cut and paste it into your main post for everyone to see when they first open the thread [emoticon]

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/17 10:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JoeChiOhki wrote:

Camper_Jeff_&_Kelli wrote:

We were going to go to the Painted Hills. Looked very out of the way. Guess everyone had the same idea. We saw the eclipse near Mt. Hood. We did go to the Painted Hills a couple days later. Next trip report. It was a sight to behold wasn't it! Take care,,,

Anything on US 26 between Portland and John Day is anything but out of the way for Portlandites as they run that highway regularly in the winter to go skiing at Mt. Hood or down to Bend to play.

We saw miles of traffic and thick forest fire smoke going south from Detroit and east toward and beyond Prineville. Glad we were going reverse commute for a change.

Camper Jeff and Kelli's Blog!
CITAP1 Jeff's YouTube Channel
A CLOSED MOUTH GATHERS NO FEET!

Isaac-1

SW Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/17 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a nice spot on the center line at a hunting camp with 12 RV hookups about 15 miles south of Douglas WY down a secondary state highway. Though there were probably close to 100 people there, many tent camping, it was spread out over several acres that it did not feel cramped, the nearest other camper to us were 30 to 40 feet away.

Dewclaw

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/17 03:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The trip report was an entertaining read -- thanks for writing it. It's the best description of the central Oregon chaos that I've seen. We were lucky and watched the whole eclipse, including the remarkable totality, from our driveway.

2008 Northern Lite 9-6 Q Classic SE
2007 GMC 2500HD

RickW

Sacramento CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/17 09:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jefe,

Thanks for the TR. I had a plan C to find a TC parking space in central Oregon like u did, but went with plan B to fly and visit family in St. Louis.

At the critical time I was contemplating how to "dodge the moving cloud" in my rental car but it cleared up just in time for a totally excellent view from my brother's back yard. I was clouded out before the eclipse ended.

Glad to see you all had a great trip.

Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4
04 Sunlite SB

jefe 4x4

West Slope, Northern Sierra Nevada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/17 11:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rick,
Glad you had good luck. We picked East Central OR as it looked like it had the probability to be the least cloudy place along the 70 mile wide swath. We received our 2:20 worth of immortality. As the camper next to us said, "That was the fastest 2 minutes in history". As to the traffic: we were lulled into thinking we were good leaving 6 hours after the event, but noh, diesel breath, there were just too many cars, all moving south on OR. Hwy. 97. Jeanie and I still subsrcibe to the, "swim upstream when everyone else is swimming downstream" mantra, and most of the time it works.
jefe

'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> On the trail to my Solar Eclipse: 2017-08-21
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.