|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford Super Duty 6.2 Super Ike Gauntlet Pull

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd like to see how it performs towing behind a long row of cars. You know like you do most of the time running down the road at 55-60 mph just following everyone else. Thats real world. If I ever do get to tow over the IKE I'm definitely not going to run pedal to the metal up it.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

goducks10 wrote:

I'd like to see how it performs towing behind a long row of cars. You know like you do most of the time running down the road at 55-60 mph just following everyone else. Thats real world. If I ever do get to tow over the IKE I'm definitely not going to run pedal to the metal up it.

Really? No kidding. I'll go out on a limb and say that it is proportionally less stress on the engine the further one gets away from full throttle. If they weren't trying to simulate worst case scenario everyone else would have said "why are they showing normal towing, that proves nothing". Lol

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 09/02/17 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd take either truck with our trailer, slip in with truck traffic and enjoy the view with the subtle V8 hot rod music at 4k~rpm. If I want to run up the Ike at 70mph and get great mileage, we'll just take our Prius and stay in a resort hotel.

2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stufarmer wrote:

I just traded in my 16' 4x4 F350 Diesel for a 17' F250 4x4 6.2 w/4:30 axle ratio. The Power Stroke performed flawlessly. But, theres something to be said for a Gas Motor that now Exceeds the HP & Torque numbers that made Diesel trucks as popular as they are today. Without the expense and complexity Diesels now require.

The highest-power engine available for commercial use in the Ford F650 was, until this year, the gas V10. (They derated the V10 from 350HP to 320, probably to make the top 330HP diesel look better.)

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ">
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In just a few short years, the "Gauntlet" run has lost some of its meaning. All recent models can run the speed limit, which makes the timed part of the run almost meaningless. There used to be considerable difference between makes and models. We are the winners.

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2 wrote:

In just a few short years, the "Gauntlet" run has lost some of its meaning. All recent models can run the speed limit, which makes the timed part of the run almost meaningless. There used to be considerable difference between makes and models. We are the winners.

x2

blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ford definitely has a winner with the 6.2L. We have several of them at my work and they have all been bulletproof so far.

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Gatorm

Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

spud1957 wrote:

Of course it always turns into the diesel argument. Yes, high fuel mileage going up the gauntlet. What are your diesels getting going up it? I suspect the delta between the two is not much different than non gauntlet towing.

I think they run around 4 or a little better on that particular run from videos I've seen in the past. Real world with a camper you're probably comparing 7 or 8 with a big gas truck versus 11 or 12 with a diesel. Not great either way. Mileage is only part of the equation, though. Screaming up a grade at 5500 RPM isn't my idea of a relaxing trip even though I know they're designed to do it. I would also bet that the truck in the video would struggle significantly more if it were pulling something like a fifth wheel that drags a lot more air.

In my mind there's really not much cost difference between the two if you look at a total ownership cost. The diesel is more up front and will cost a little more to maintain, but will get better fuel economy and resale value. Which begs the question - if the cost delta is immaterial, why not opt for the higher performing diesel? That's something you can appreciate anytime you get behind the wheel.

If this were true then your statement of going with the diesel would be obvious. The problem is, this isn’t the case. The diesel cost more up front by $8-10k, it takes 2-3x more oil every oil change, fuel filters are $100 and up every 2-3 oil changes, fuel is $.30-50 more per gallon, not to mention if you ever have a def/dpf failure or a turbo failure or injector failure or complete fuel system replacement (any of these sound familiar? I bet they do) then the cost of ownership is way out of balance. The diesel pulls a ton better. Trust me I know. I’m a auto dealer and sell lots of 3/4 and 1 ton trucks so I’ve driven and used all of them in gas and diesel. If you pull over 10k lbs more than once a week I would go diesel. If you don’t, save yourself a bunch of money and time and buy the gas truck. Also, the gas truck, in my opinion is a better daily driver than a diesel.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 05:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^You revived a 4 year old thread to try n start an argument about an engine that is now replaced by a newer one?

Slow day in your world? Lol

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/21 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 15 RAM, 12 quarts oil every 15k, fuel filters 15k and air filter every 20k. Sure doesn’t break my Bank. Let’s see a gasser tow my 24k RV at 9mpg. If my RV weighed 11-12k I would still own my truck but maybe with two less tires.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ford Super Duty 6.2 Super Ike Gauntlet Pull
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.