|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC Fails Pic Dump

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
Boatycall

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd like to start a pic dump of TC Fails.

I'd to see ones you personally witnessed and snapped a pic of, because you'd likely also have a little bit of a back-story. Now, Google is full of them. If you think you've found one that's noteworthy, that's ok too.

I have two - A Host Everest on a 3/4 ton at a local dealer, and a TC that got blown off it's jacks during a wind storm here.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never take pictures of peoples stupidity. Why would any rational person leave a camper on extended jacks anyway? I always lower mine as close to the ground as possible when sitting off truck and...

The Host is beyond a doubt more than the truck can handle. Poor Chebby....

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/17 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Why would any rational person leave a camper on extended jacks anyway?

Because it's a pain to lower it down 20" with manual jacks and even more of a pain to raise it back up to truck bed height. Any time mine is off the truck, it is at truck bed height because of this reason. However, as soon as the truck is out from under it, I have a pair of saw horses placed under it that will easily carry the entire weight of the camper.

But yeah, to leave it at full height without something steadying the camper isn't very smart.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 66,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Lwiddis

Cambria, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/17 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's the only fear I had with my old TC...falling over...DW had other issues with it.

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

azrving

Quartzsite

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kohldad wrote:

Quote:

Because it's a pain to lower it down 20" with manual jacks and even more of a pain to raise it back up to truck bed height. Any time mine is off the truck, it is at truck bed height because of this reason. However, as soon as the truck is out from under it, I have a pair of saw horses placed under it that will easily carry the entire weight of the camper.

But yeah, to leave it at full height without something steadying the camper isn't very smart.

Would ">]this heavy duty 1/2 inch work? It's been a long time so I actually dont remember how difficult my old TC were.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/17 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some may disagree that this is a fail.

[image]

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/17 03:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Link doesn't work, but assume you are talking about a cordless drill. I use a drill on mine, but it's still a pain because you can only run each jack about 10 turns before you have to move to the next jack. That's a lot of walking around the camper. Even with the drill, it can take 30 minutes to lower the camper all the way down.

I made the sawhorse and it take a minute to throw them under the camper and only about 30 minutes. Since I only unload in the storage yard, never on the road, it works great for me.

tattoobob

Billerica, Ma.

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

This is anyone who drives the beaches worst nightmare

2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kohldad wrote:

Quote:

Interesting, I have manual jacks on mine, for 2 reasons. One, the price of electric jacks which was an option was 1500 bucks and 2, I'm cheap.

Having said that. I carry my trusty DeWalt cordless drill and I have a jack adapter (came free with the camper, in fact I have 2 (one for a spare). Lowering my jacks is about a 3 minute painless job with the drill. Mine sits as close to terra firma as possible when off the truck. No pain at all on my part. The DeWalt does the work.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/17 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was coming back from Northern Michigan yesterday and saw a gooseneck trailer going the other way with a TC on it plus a side by side and assorted stuff...

Why pull a trailer behind your camper when you can put the camper on a trailer and take everything along...

They don't call us 'dirtbaggers' for no reason.....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> TC Fails Pic Dump
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2018 CWI, Inc. © 2018 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS