RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: question on interpreting MPPT controller display

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> question on interpreting MPPT controller display

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
3 tons

CA.

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Short answer, yes amps drop off as battery nears full due to increased internal resistance (like pumping up an inner-tube...), particularly when approaching 90% state of charge (SOC) and above...

3 tons

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"
I thought the controller always showed the max potential harvest, when evidently, it is only displaying the usable amps based on the needs of the batteries"

Not if there is a load too. Then it (at the controller) will show the total demanded amps up to the limit of the output supply at the time.

I used to think my Trimetric showed "net amps" but was corrected on here by somebody who knows better. The Tri shows only the amps in or out of the battery. The math works as though it is net, but it isn't. You need two ammeters and then can derive it all.

How does the wiring for your "battery meter" (Magnum monitor) get to show the amps to the battery from the solar controller? AFAIK you need a shunt somewhere there. Interesting. I do wonder if you are seeing what you think you are seeing, but you know the set-up and I don't.

In the OP you mention that the amps are coming from the panels. Actually with MPPT controllers (which have buck converters) it is not really like that. You get input watts to the controller, then output watts, and only now can you take your amps from those output watts.

The input amps depends on the input watts divided by whatever voltage the MPPT controller is running itself at. Not much related to output amps because of the buck converter. With ordinary PWM controllers, there is more of a direct relationship between amps from the panel and controller output amps.

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er,
1981 Frontier 11ft Truck Camper
See Profile for Equipment Lists

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I hate to say this but the BZ controllers are not good. In fact in a head to head test with a PwC the PWC outperformed the BZ MPPT.

outwestbound wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

outboundwest,

It may depend on what is selected for set points. What controller do you have? Have you changed the stock settings?

the set points are per my batt manufacturer. I used some simple MPPT controllers made by BZ Products in the US. I don't have displays inside my camper. My Magnum 3012 display, because it has the batt monitor, gives me a net amp figure. This net figure is the gross on the controller, less the load (devices + phantom), which is fine for me. I wanted simplicity.

Someone answered my question I think. If I'm under good sun and if in BULK, harvesting 55 amps, but then in FLOAT, the controllers show only 25 amps, in the same sun, then that answers my question.

I thought the controller always showed the max potential harvest, when evidently, it is only displaying the usable amps based on the needs of the batteries.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 08:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CCs generally show the output amps. BUT the output amps supply the house load and the battery charging. It only reflects battery amps/charging when the house loads are small or 0A.

My controller can also display the panel A, V and W. The input power will be the same as the output power after adjusting for CC efficiency losses. In other words the CC adjusts the needed panel power to match the output power.

* This post was edited 09/03/17 08:24pm by CA Traveler *

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/03/17 11:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

charge controller shows what the charge output is at that moment
might show 15amps, but if you have vent fans on, etc.. charge into batteries might be 10amps

the controller can show MAX if MAX is being used
it can NOT show what might be available while sitting in full overhead SUN
ONLY what is being output,

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T

outwestbound

US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/17 01:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=BFL13]

How does the wiring for your "battery meter" (Magnum monitor) get to show the amps to the battery from the solar controller? AFAIK you need a shunt somewhere there.

Quote:

The ME-BMK has a shunt which measures current going into or out of the battery, as I understand it. Magnum offers these for about $165 and they just work with their inverter/chargers and give you the display through the panel you already get with the inverter.

2011 F350 6.7L, 4WD, DRW, 8' bed, Reese Elite 25K
2011 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5, MOR/ryde IS, 8K disc brakes, 17.5" wheels/G114s
Solar: 960 watts, 3,000 hybrid inverter, 830 AH bank, 2 controllers
IT: weboost 4G-X, WiFi Ranger Elite Pack

outwestbound

US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/17 01:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

I hate to say this but the BZ controllers are not good. In fact in a head to head test with a PwC the PWC outperformed the BZ MPPT.

outwestbound wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

outboundwest,

It may depend on what is selected for set points. What controller do you have? Have you changed the stock settings?

the set points are per my batt manufacturer. I used some simple MPPT controllers made by BZ Products in the US. I don't have displays inside my camper. My Magnum 3012 display, because it has the batt monitor, gives me a net amp figure. This net figure is the gross on the controller, less the load (devices + phantom), which is fine for me. I wanted simplicity.

Someone answered my question I think. If I'm under good sun and if in BULK, harvesting 55 amps, but then in FLOAT, the controllers show only 25 amps, in the same sun, then that answers my question.

I thought the controller always showed the max potential harvest, when evidently, it is only displaying the usable amps based on the needs of the batteries.

I specified Morningstar and forgot to order them before arriving at the solar place. The fellow had been using these for 20 years, so I tossed them in. They were making about the PV panel labels.

outwestbound

US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/17 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MrWizard wrote:

charge controller shows what the charge output is at that moment
might show 15amps, but if you have vent fans on, etc.. charge into batteries might be 10amps

the controller can show MAX if MAX is being used
it can NOT show what might be available while sitting in full overhead SUN
ONLY what is being output,

Thanks

outwestbound

US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/04/17 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for your comments.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/17 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

outwestbound wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

How does the wiring for your "battery meter" (Magnum monitor) get to show the amps to the battery from the solar controller? AFAIK you need a shunt somewhere there.

Quote:

The ME-BMK has a shunt which measures current going into or out of the battery, as I understand it. Magnum offers these for about $165 and they just work with their inverter/chargers and give you the display through the panel you already get with the inverter.

Interesting! There are several folks on here with that sort of inverter/charger who might not know they could maybe do that with theirs.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> question on interpreting MPPT controller display
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS