RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fridge cools on A/C but not on Propane - EDIT: FIXED!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Fridge cools on A/C but not on Propane - EDIT: FIXED!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cpachristopher

Central Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/17 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

He is not coming back for sure. I hadnt considered pressure. Ive got a spare regulator I'll have to try. Stove and water heater are acceptable for what it is worth,

So a good cleaning of the burner/flue/etc and check regulator. Sounds like a fun Saturday

dougrainer wrote:

If it works on 120 and not good on LP and the flame ".looks" OK. THE FIRST THING ANY COMPETANT TECH DOES IS VERIFY THE LP GAS PRESSURE. NOT doing that shows lack of knowledge and skill and I would not hire/use this part changer anymore. A 1 inch drop in LP pressure will have a drastic affect on the cooling capability and you will not be able to tell by the flame size/look. Doug

2015 4Runner towing a cute little Coachmen 16FB

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

the taking apart and cleaning should be less than an hour U tube how to clean a rv refrig. its not hard. they were made to be removed and cleaned. DO NOT MAKE THE ORFICE HOLE ANY BIGGER.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

the taking apart and cleaning should be less than an hour U tube how to clean a rv refrig. its not hard. they were made to be removed and cleaned. DO NOT MAKE THE ORFICE HOLE ANY BIGGER.

Lets elaborate on that a bit.... soak the orfice in isopropyl (think thats ciorrec) alcohol and don't even think about sticking anything in the hole. Blow it out with air only. Some have a small piece of sponge inside that acts as a filter that will need cleaning too.

Have fun, be careful with the parts and take your time.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

billyray50

North Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/08/17 11:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

If it works on 120 and not good on LP and the flame "looks" OK. THE FIRST THING ANY COMPETANT TECH DOES IS VERIFY THE LP GAS PRESSURE. NOT doing that shows lack of knowledge and skill and I would not hire/use this part changer anymore. A 1 inch drop in LP pressure will have a drastic affect on the cooling capability and you will not be able to tell by the flame size/look. Doug

That's what was going with mine. 4 year old regulator was bad. Installed new regulator and works fine now.

cpachristopher

Central Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yesterday I cleaned the burner (gently as noted above) and ran a bore snake through the flue. This morning, the fridge was warmer than last night, and the heat coming off of the cooling fins was not nearly as great as the heat when running on A/C.

At this point, I think I'll buy a new regulator, since every web-site I've looked at since you folks pointed it out suggested I carry a spare in any case. If it doesn't fix the problem...no clue, but if it does, I'll be thrilled.

Looking for a regulator, do I just buy an exact match of what I've got or is there a suggestion for a "better" one? I don't plan to run two tanks.

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/17 12:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm ... after reading this thread, I'm scratching my head as to what a new gas regulator might have to do with the OP's problem? If the flame is the proper size and makes a loud enough burning sound ... then how can a new regulator do anything?

I suspect something else is wrong with the refrigerator that is causing electric heat to have an effect that flame heat doesn't have. Isn't a BTU a BTU?

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

cpachristopher

Central Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks to those who helped. I installed a new regulator ($40 and 5 mins of my time) and let it run all night on propane. The fridge is full of nice, cold bottles of water.

I am more than a little pissed that the "professional" RV repair guy I hired didn't even mention it or test the propane. I sure didn't know about it, but I'm just some office dweller!

Thanks again. Going camping this weekend with a cold fridge will be nice.

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You better replace those cold bottles of water with cans of beer before you go. [emoticon]

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You replaced the regulator at the main supply?
I don't think the fridge has a regulator.

I would have recommended Cavagna brand but with a single bottle they are probably all about the same. How old was it? IMO about 5 to 10 years and they are high suspects to trouble.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

cpachristopher

Central Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced the main supply regulator.

Funny, when I lit the stove to get the propane going, it put out a much better flame than before!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Fridge cools on A/C but not on Propane - EDIT: FIXED!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS