|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> A/C not cooling well

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A 31 foot RV with just 1 AC will NOT cool adequately in temps above 90 degrees. That said, ALL towable OEM's do a lousy job of correctly installing the lower plenum assbly on RV's. They do not correctly seal the intake from the exhaust and have way too many areas that allow air leaks in the plenum assbly. It is amazing how using Foil Tape and sealing off the correct areas help Cold production. Doug

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm afraid to price it...

[image]

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 09/07/17 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

newman fulltimer wrote:

no humidity to pull out no cool

I think we've been through this before - still not the way it works.
The more humidity the ac has to pull out the poorer the cooling performance.
The AC works best when there's no humidity.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/07/17 10:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ekirkland wrote:

We have a 31' Jayco travel trailer with a single 15,000 btu A/C. While out west recently, it really struggled to keep the inside cool especially after being on the road 6-8 hours in the heat. With outside temp of 95, it would struggle to keep it below 85 until the sun started going down. Is this common or should I have it checked out?
Yes a heat soaked hot box will not cool very well or at all until the sun sets.

Although check the ducting inside the lower unit. Remove the interior trim completely. Check the transition from the plenum to the ceiling duct work is well sealed. Use some aluminum backed A/C tape if needed. Also check the plenum divider that separates the air-in from the air-out. Very common for these to be poorly placed and poorly sealed. More tape as needed. This poor installation allows the cold air to recirculate back into the unit instead of cooling the RV.

While in there check the freeze sensor is placed up in or against the evaporator. This will cycle the compressor if your are getting ice build up. Freeze up will also limit the airflow and cooling.

95? Just wait until you get into some real heat close to 115 [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ekirkland

Auburn, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/17 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the help.

Eddie & Liz
Auburn, AL
=====================
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost w/MaxTow & HD Payload
Nights camped in 2017 - 53

JohnG3

Morro Bay, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Parked in Barstow, CA with our Montana 5th wheel a couple years ago in 100 degree temp. AC would run a few minutes then shut down. Have a plastic spray device that hooks onto a water hose. Put that on the roof pointed at the condenser and turned on the water. AC unit stayed running and the water helped to remove the heat from inside the trailer.

Found out later that the duct to the bedroom did not have an end so that much of the cool air entered the "attic" then out the roof vents. Cut a pool noodle wide enough to fit snugly into the duct down stream from the bedroom AC vent. The result was much more air flow into the bedroom and a noticeable improvement on cooling throughout the trailer.

John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lots of good advice here. It is also possible that your AC unit has gone bad. Our OEM Dometic 15K unit went out in 2 1/2 years. Dometic gave us a free replacement if I paid for replacement labor. That one went out in a few months of fall and next spring use. On line rumor was that Dometic had problems with China made evaporators that developed pin hole leaks--pretty suspicious that I had 2 of them. Third try was an old scratch and dent from a warehouse clearance sale that was made in Elkhart--holding up fine after 18 months.

If OP is not getting at least 15 degrees drop from intake to output, it's a losing cause. You've got AC troubles. I never have gotten quite 20 degrees drop (probably a humidity thing), but it does keep up.

Len R

mikefos

Fredericksburg, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 07:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JohnG3 wrote:

Found out later that the duct to the bedroom did not have an end so that much of the cool air entered the "attic" then out the roof vents. Cut a pool noodle wide enough to fit snugly into the duct down stream from the bedroom AC vent. The result was much more air flow into the bedroom and a noticeable improvement on cooling throughout the trailer.

Yowza, now this is interesting. Who'd a thought something like this could occur? Not me. How did you check, mirror in the end ceiling register? Thanks for posting.

Mike and Kim
2012 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 308RETS, TST 507 TPMS
2010 Chevy 2500HD, Duramax/Allison, 2WD, Long Bed, Crew Cab, Duraflaps, AMP Bedstep
Equal-i-zer 1400/14K Hitch

Pamela1963

Claremore, OK

View Profile

Posted: 09/15/17 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm considering getting rid of the rooftop AC unit and installing a mini-split system in my 37 foot 5th wheel. The 5th wheel will be in a permanent/fixed location and will not be moved. It will be wired direct to an electric meter. I've seen many 'Pros', and the only 'Cons' are possible issues when traveling, which will not be an issue in my case. Any thoughts or suggestions???

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/15/17 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pamela1963 wrote:

I'm considering getting rid of the rooftop AC unit and installing a mini-split system in my 37 foot 5th wheel. The 5th wheel will be in a permanent/fixed location and will not be moved. It will be wired direct to an electric meter. I've seen many 'Pros', and the only 'Cons' are possible issues when traveling, which will not be an issue in my case. Any thoughts or suggestions???
I have seen a few pictures and always good thoughts on those that have these units.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> A/C not cooling well
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS