|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Little Samsung TV at CostCo for $109

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mike-s

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RSD559 wrote:

Do they even make 12v TVs anymore?
Sure. Search Amazon for "12V TV". There are quite a few. In addition to the ones marketed as such, some smaller TVs run off a "brick on a leash" 12V power supply - I've got an older Insignia (Best Buy house brand) NS-19E310NA15 which works fine off a 12V outlet. Pretty frugal, too, <100 mA in standby, <1.5 A running.

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 09/09/17 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there a big advantage to this built-in wifi reception, versus attaching a dongle to a usb port on the tv?

Mike G.
--currently in between trailers--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)

RSD559

Central California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 01:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

Is there a big advantage to this built-in wifi reception, versus attaching a dongle to a usb port on the tv?

Not really. Except with the Roku or other external streamers, I don't think you get the internet access. And, you only have 1 remote to keep track of.

2017 Highland Ridge Ultra Lite UT2704bh.Just right ++
Ford F-150 Ecoboost V6. Very happy.
Honda Ruckus scooter - Great fun.
Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter - Greater fun.
Champion 3100 Inverter Generator - (huge grin)!

72cougarxr7

Northern NY

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike-s wrote:

Ralph Cramden wrote:

Probably, most LCD TVs or monitors are 12VDC internally.
Source? Most electronics these days run at various voltages - 1.8 and 3.3 volt are common these days, although there's still some 5 V around (e.g. USB). Even if 12 V were used (backlight?), there's no real reason for a TV power supply to convert first to 12 V, and then again to the voltages actually needed. It would generate them separately. Can you give an examples of current TVs which do an AC->12VDC->??? power distribution?

And, of course, in the context of RVs, "12 V" really means more like "11-15 volts."

12v inputs are quite common on tv's.
I bought this one a couple years ago to use in my RV.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-19-Class-HD-LED-TV-720p-60Hz-with-Built-in-DVD-Player-E195BD-S/16935878

Came with a 110 cord with a power "brick", where it plugs into the tv it even says 12v DC.
I made a cord to plug it into my trailers 12v power outlet so I can watch tv off the battery without running my genny.

Now many tv's do not use a brick, and have an internal power supply, so those would not work. If you go to a store that has display models out, just look for ones with the power supply "brick" on the cord, and chances are it is 12v input.
Saved me a ton of money over buying a specific "rv" tv!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$109? Tell MEX before he goes crazy fixing that tv brick.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

RSD559

Central California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/17 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Okay, 12v TVs are out there. But my trailer doesn't have a 12v access plug anywhere near the tv hookup. It only has one inside the box, at the head of the bed. I'm guessing for a charger, or a CPAP, or something. But too far away for a TV. Doesn't have one outside at all.

mike-s

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

72cougarxr7 wrote:

mike-s wrote:

Ralph Cramden wrote:

Probably, most LCD TVs or monitors are 12VDC internally.
Source? Most electronics these days run at various voltages - 1.8 and 3.3 volt are common these days, although there's still some 5 V around (e.g. USB). Even if 12 V were used (backlight?), there's no real reason for a TV power supply to convert first to 12 V, and then again to the voltages actually needed. It would generate them separately. Can you give an examples of current TVs which do an AC->12VDC->??? power distribution?

And, of course, in the context of RVs, "12 V" really means more like "11-15 volts."

12v inputs are quite common on tv's.
I bought this one a couple years ago to use in my RV.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sceptre-19-Class-HD-LED-TV-720p-60Hz-with-Built-in-DVD-Player-E195BD-S/16935878

Came with a 110 cord with a power "brick"...
Whoosh.

He was referring to ones with a 120V power cord plugging directly into them, and modifying the internals to take 12VDC. He specifically referenced "no external power supply."

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/17 04:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I got my 21" for a bit less, nto a smart TV but was a "Scratch and dent" (Floor demo with missing remote) Since it replaced a Samsung and since Samsung only uses one set of remote codes the old remote.. Works fine .

Re-Smart TV. Those look nice on paper but you do know they are 2-way Right. there is an open microphone streaming audio to the web and I am told there are folks who know how to access the built in camera as well

Reason # 2 and 3 why I don't want 1 (Reason 1 is they suck bandwidth).

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

RSD559

Central California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/14/17 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Re-Smart TV. Those look nice on paper but you do know they are 2-way Right. there is an open microphone streaming audio to the web and I am told there are folks who know how to access the built in camera as well.

This one doesn't have any of the high end features that would use a microphone or camera. Who would want to see a couple of old people snoring and burping and farting all night? Not my idea of entertainment!

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/14/17 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Minimalist...

A TV is a TV but the WiFi can be used where available. The critter is portable is it not? For me, You Boob, streaming would work great for entertainment. News, how-to's, etc.

Good find!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Little Samsung TV at CostCo for $109
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS