RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Kill power to Magnum remote?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Kill power to Magnum remote?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Friends,

I love my Magnum inverter. The converter/charger is far superior to our OEM and the inverter has served us perfectly. My only issue is that our installer didn't wire it to the battery cutoff switch, so the Remote panel creates a phantom draw in storage. The user's guide reads like The Handbook For The Recently Deceased from Beetlejuice, so I haven't found my answer in the docs.

Does anyone know of a way to cut power to the remote panel? Is there an on/off function?

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

The Edmistons

2oldman

otr

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 11:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think disconnecting a battery cable should handle it.

shastagary

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

article says
Quote:

A 12-volt disconnect switch was added to the inverter to disconnect power to the inverter during storage or when servicing the unit.
Magnum inverter install or add this at the battery Battery Master Disconnect Switch your current battery cutoff switch may not be able to handle the current of the inverter. on another forum i read this
power draw wrote:

The measured Magnum inverter power draw when it is "OFF" is 400mA (to keep the remote panel alive)

* This post was edited 09/10/17 12:21pm by shastagary *

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the short comings of the Magnum units is that they cannot be turned off. Mine draws about 0.5A which from an storage or dry camping perspective is excessive.

With the high amp draw inverter capability I would not install the above linked cutoff battery switch. I installed a 300A $23 Blue Seas switch on my battery post. For flooded batteries the switch should be mounted away from battery fumes.

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42 Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar MPPT 60 Controller
2004 Honda CR-V

Bob

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. UNLESS your Inverter draws less than 100 amps DC current in Invert operation, you NEVER install a battery disconnect on the Feed Positive cable to the Inverter
2. You can install a 200 amp rated Disconnect switch if you have the smaller 1000 to 1500 Watt Magnum Inverters.
3. A quick way to disconnect the remote is either go to the Inverter and disconnect the Phone Type remote cable, takes 5 seconds. OR pull the remote panel and disconnect the same cable. Takes 3 or 4 minutes.
4. Disconnect the Negative cable at your House Batteries when storing. This is the BEST solution as most OEM's also route the LP/CO detector direct to the batteries and are not turned OFF when the battery disconnect is used. Doug

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

1. UNLESS your Inverter draws less than 100 amps DC current in Invert operation, you NEVER install a battery disconnect on the Feed Positive cable to the Inverter
Why? Is their a concern about the switch mV drop?
2. You can install a 200 amp rated Disconnect switch if you have the smaller 1000 to 1500 Watt Magnum Inverters.
3. A quick way to disconnect the remote is either go to the Inverter and disconnect the Phone Type remote cable, takes 5 seconds. OR pull the remote panel and disconnect the same cable. Takes 3 or 4 minutes.
What is the inverter draw vs the remote only draw?

If I was going to start disconnecting the cable I'd install some additional cables and a FF connector at a convenient point for disconnection.

4. Disconnect the Negative cable at your House Batteries when storing. This is the BEST solution as most OEM's also route the LP/CO detector direct to the batteries and are not turned OFF when the battery disconnect is used. Plus the negative post/wire is always the best considering safety.Doug

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remove the fuse or install solar. Those were my solutions.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Where does it state in the Magnum manual that a disconnect on the positive line is not allowed? I have a 600 amp rated BlueSea disconnect on my MS2812, can't recall it being discouraged in the rather verbose installation manual.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

dedmiston

Valencia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/17 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

I was wondering about that. It's not as simple as an on/off switch, but it seems like the simplest way to stop that phantom draw.

Is this a design flaw, or am I overlooking something?

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/17 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

dougrainer wrote:

I was wondering about that. It's not as simple as an on/off switch, but it seems like the simplest way to stop that phantom draw.

Is this a design flaw, or am I overlooking something?

I doubt it's a design flaw. 99% of the customers using high end inverters are not worrying about a few 100 milliampere "loads" on battery systems with capacities in the 100s to 1000s of amp.

Putting an on/off switch on the remote WOULD be a design flaw, as it would inadvertently get turned off and lead to tech support calls.

For long term storage, unbolt the battery cables if a disconnect switch is not desired. JMHO

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Kill power to Magnum remote?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS