RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Will Honda 2000 supply MSH 3012's charger?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Will Honda 2000 supply MSH 3012's charger?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next
Sponsored By:
outwestbound

US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello. Looking to power my fifth wheel travel trailer for off grid boondocking using combo seeking a maximum reliance on solar and a minimum on generator. My goal is to carry, due to size and weight, the smallest generator necessary to bring an 800 amp hour AGM battery bank up to 100%. 

Magnum MSH 3012 has a 125A charger and the max charge rate is set to 80%; so max 100vdc I guess.

Magnum's manual says 18AAC input current is needed to operate at it's continuous rated output.

Honda 2000's max of 2.0kVA (16.67A) and continuous of 1.6kVA (13.3A) seems insufficient.

I don't understand if only 13.3A from the Honda will NEVER allow the Magnum to charge the batts to 100% OR whether the lower input to the Magnum will just take longer. (????)

If it just takes longer, I wonder how much longer. For example, if I'm down 150AH on the bank and have 3 rainy days with no meaningful contribution from solar, and crank up the Honda 2000, how effective/ practical will this be?

I'm aware that my max charge 80% setting limits the charge to a max of 100vdc, but have no idea what under powering the charger, if at all, will do.

I hope this makes sense. Thanks

2011 F350 6.7L, 4WD, DRW, 8' bed, Reese Elite 25K
2011 Carri-Lite 36XTRM5, MOR/ryde IS, 8K disc brakes, 17.5" wheels/G114s
Solar: 960 watts, 3,000 hybrid inverter, 830 AH bank, 2 controllers
IT: weboost 4G-X, WiFi Ranger Elite Pack

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Honda is not big enough.
Trying to run a bigger load like your charger will result in the Honda tripping its breaker and/or supplying low voltage which will destroy your charger and if you keep doing it, may damage the Honda as well.
You don't want to do this.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a remote for the Magnum, you can program the charge input current to lesser amps. Off a single blue 2000 watt, I set for 13a and my MS2812 can hit 100 amps charging current into a depleted bank on a cold day.

I recommend saving input current as one of your FAV settings.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honda is not large enough to put 125 amps into the battery. Of course the Honda can fully charge the battery... you just need to dial down the amps to about 80 and you should be fine.

I believe the 80 percent is 80 percent of the 125 maximum amps or 100 amps maximum charge rate. Honda might hold this charge level but I think you are better at 60 or 70 percent that would give 75 or 87.5 amps. It just takes longer. Magnum does not stop charging at any specified battery level.

The charging rate is not linear unless you have a lithium battery. With lead-acid you are looking at 2 to 4 hours to get 90 percent charged. The last 10 percent will take another 2 to 4 hours.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

outwestbound

US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 03:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. I forgot to mention, the MSH 3012 has a "shore power" setting, which I set to 15amps max when using the Honda 2000. I'm studying this, but I gather this setting should match the Honda 2000's circuit breaker rating. Also, my bank is 800AH AGM; 4 (6) volt Fullriver DC-400-6s.

I gather the max charge rate at 80% is .8*125 or 100 max. With shore power on max 15, the Honda's breaker doesn't trip, and the Magnum display inside says 90-100 dc amps when the batterires are in bulk.

It would appear these setting prevent damage (I suppose). It just seems to take forever, especially the last 5% of battery capacity while in absorption.

I guess I'm tryign to understand whether an Onan 3.6k would be any faster. If the onan ran at 125 dc amps, I guess that's 25% faster in bulk perhaps, but would either generator be faster during that last 5% absorption phase, when the batteries seem to accept only what they need, regardless of the DC amps being thrown at them.

$3,500 for an onan, when I already own a Honda 2000, seems like a lot. It's hard for me to quantify the marginal charging time.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Magnum has a table for input amps vs charger output. I recommend consulting that chart. There is no output amps adjustment, that part is automatically computed.

outwestbound

US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree wrote:

If you have a remote for the Magnum, you can program the charge input current to lesser amps. Off a single blue 2000 watt, I set for 13a and my MS2812 can hit 100 amps charging current into a depleted bank on a cold day.

I recommend saving input current as one of your FAV settings.

mine has a shore power setting to limit what it pulls in. I forgot to reduce this from 30 once and the Honda's breaker tripped and it stopped working.

mine has 10, 15, 20 etc increments and I've used 15 for the Honda and it seems to work without tripping the Honda's breaker.

my AGM batteries need 14.7 for both bulk and absorption, so I just wonder if the magnum's charger gets up to that (it's programmed for these voltage set points) given the Honda's 13.3 amp ac input.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Onan will only save a few minutes of bulk, nothing during absorption.

Usually people only charge to 90 or 95 percent on generator. Maybe once a week let the Honda idle all day and get to full charge. Solar should come back into play before this is needed. If solar does not get you full by the second day you could run the honda in the morning to get a head start.

Very important to have the proper absorption voltage both on the Magnum and the solar.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/17 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't know where/why you keeping typing 100vdc
do you mean 100 AMPS dc ?

the magnum line is smart, set it to 12 amp input power ( PianoTuna does this all the time )

and it will work off the honda 2000, you wont get full max charge rate

with 12a *120v input 1440w, you will get approx 1200w charge approx 80 amps

depending on the batteries approx 5-6 hours to get near 100% in the high 90% range

i have a 675 ampHr AGM bank and typically use 150ampHrs over night during the summer with all the fans and the fridge

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T

outwestbound

US

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/12/17 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Honda is not large enough to put 125 amps into the battery. Of course the Honda can fully charge the battery... you just need to dial down the amps to about 80 and you should be fine.

I believe the 80 percent is 80 percent of the 125 maximum amps or 100 amps maximum charge rate. Honda might hold this charge level but I think you are better at 60 or 70 percent that would give 75 or 87.5 amps. It just takes longer. Magnum does not stop charging at any specified battery level.

The charging rate is not linear unless you have a lithium battery. With lead-acid you are looking at 2 to 4 hours to get 90 percent charged. The last 10 percent will take another 2 to 4 hours.

Thanks. Yes, the 80% reduces 125 to 100 from what I see. Given magnum's shore power choices are 10 or 15 (and I'm using 15), it does make sense to dial the "charge rate" down on the magnum, which I assume would cause the charger to draw less from the Honda and keep the Honda happier.

I have AGM batts that will take a C/5 charge, so 800/5 or 160amp charge during bulk. Wow, just seems like it takes forever to get this bank back to 100%. Your time above on average is 6 hours on the generator.

I have 960 watts of solar, and hoping to live with the Honda 2000. I've been told that if I don't get the bank up to 100% at least every 4-5 days, I'll ruin the batteries. Hence, my concern about not having an onan.

I'm just starting to use my system, so I'll keep the Honda 2000 and watch the bank's status like a hawk until I'm better at all this solar stuff.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Will Honda 2000 supply MSH 3012's charger?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS