RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 557  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regenerative brakes can be made to scruff off more power by routing that energy to a capacitor bank before going to batteries (like Mazda introduced in 2018 calling it i-ELOOP). You can also use braking to drive an air compressor and fill the tanks required on air brake vehicles.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BenK wrote:

Regenerative braking is only as good as the amount of battery capacity and its rate of absorption

Meaning, any battery has an absorption rate in voltage/amperes.

You can tell the controller to dump more regenerative power, but the battery will NOT take much more without heating up FAST and shortening it's life span

If you do have the large enough of a battery array, then the rate of power dumped into them is spread over many, many batteries so that it can brake harder

Below some rate, mechanical brakes are a must

Look up rail dust from trains
Regenerative braking in an EV will reduce brake wear by 2/3rds or more. In normal driving conditions I rarely touch my brake peddle.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

BenK wrote:

Regenerative braking is only as good as the amount of battery capacity and its rate of absorption

Meaning, any battery has an absorption rate in voltage/amperes.

You can tell the controller to dump more regenerative power, but the battery will NOT take much more without heating up FAST and shortening it's life span

If you do have the large enough of a battery array, then the rate of power dumped into them is spread over many, many batteries so that it can brake harder

Below some rate, mechanical brakes are a must

Look up rail dust from trains
Regenerative braking in an EV will reduce brake wear by 2/3rds or more. In normal driving conditions I rarely touch my brake peddle.

Not an expert but I would think larger batteries in vehicles could take upwards of 50 to 100 kw on regen. I know our humble old leaf gets north of 30 kw on the meter. A Tesla model 3 battery is good for 250 kw at a Supercharger. No idea what the regen number would be.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Latest production estimates.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/01/14/report-tesla-semi-production-to-begin-in-second-half-of-2020/

https://teslamotorsclub.com/blog/2020/01........duction-to-begin-in-second-half-of-2020/

philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 06:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

You seem to acknowledge that Tesla batteries work better but at the same time deny that there is any reason for them to. Either that or there is no reason, they just do so it must be magic. I don't understand your thought process.

They work "better" because they are taking risks other manufacturers are not willing to take. Things like denser packs, less cooling, less physical protection, higher energy transfer rates. All the manufacturers are using one of two battery designs. There's ZERO battery advantage.

Tesla is a new manufacturing company. Hasn't been hit with massive lawsuits or govt "intervention", yet. It's coming. They will play a little too fast and loose with safety or govt specs and get burned. They all have. Some learn from other's mistakes, some are destined to learn them on their own.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/14/20 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Groover wrote:

You seem to acknowledge that Tesla batteries work better but at the same time deny that there is any reason for them to. Either that or there is no reason, they just do so it must be magic. I don't understand your thought process.

They work "better" because they are taking risks other manufacturers are not willing to take. Things like denser packs, less cooling, less physical protection, higher energy transfer rates. All the manufacturers are using one of two battery designs. There's ZERO battery advantage.

Tesla is a new manufacturing company. Hasn't been hit with massive lawsuits or govt "intervention", yet. It's coming. They will play a little too fast and loose with safety or govt specs and get burned. They all have. Some learn from other's mistakes, some are destined to learn them on their own.

I wouldnt worry,
Tesla is still the safest EV out there

https://www.businessinsider.com/why-tesl........eceived-5-star-crash-test-rating-2019-10

https://insideevs.com/news/363109/tesla-model-3-battery-fire-resistance/

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/14/20 10:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Groover wrote:

The just released Porsch can't keep up with a 10 year old Model S, costs more and doesn't have nearly as much range. I take that as Tesla is way ahead. The new Volvo and Audi don't compare well either.
Actual owner reports the Porsche range is much better than the EPA. I have read that the standard test incorporates all modes and is perfectly wrong for the Porsche dragging the rating down. However due to dieselgate VW-Porsche did not want to make any concessions that may have been interpreted as manipulating the test. So Porsche got stuck with a low rating that does not properly reflect normal driving.

I haven't been able to find any reports about the Porsche from actual driving. If you don't mind please send me some links. From what I hear so far Tesla has the most accurate range predictions with all the others being quite optimistic.
Teslanomics is saying 270

Skip to ~9:40 for the range.

https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/337-of........cussion/5245-taycan-turbo-epa-miles.html

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

I wouldnt worry,
Tesla is still the safest EV out there

And estimates of 30,000 lives a year to be saved with autonomous vehicles.

But regulators are still hesitant. Human are funny as we can tolerate fatal error made by our own. But for machines, it has to be more than perfect.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Until the human factor is separated from autonomous zones, I don't see safety increasing that much. Human reaction to a situation is unpredictable which can make automated systems fail and actually cause more harm. If we start seeing dedicated lanes/routes for autonomous vehicles, then I expect to see estimates more in line with what has been posted.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

Until the human factor is separated from autonomous zones, I don't see safety increasing that much. Human reaction to a situation is unpredictable which can make automated systems fail and actually cause more harm. If we start seeing dedicated lanes/routes for autonomous vehicles, then I expect to see estimates more in line with what has been posted.

Or since the government is dragging their feet into spending or building a separate infrastructure, we can have the non autonomous vehicles relegated to surface roads, lol.[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 557  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.