RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 557  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
philh

Belleville MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

But regulators are still hesitant. Human are funny as we can tolerate fatal error made by our own. But for machines, it has to be more than perfect.

Boeing might be having an issue or two with machine control [emoticon]

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Bedlam wrote:

Until the human factor is separated from autonomous zones, I don't see safety increasing that much. Human reaction to a situation is unpredictable which can make automated systems fail and actually cause more harm. If we start seeing dedicated lanes/routes for autonomous vehicles, then I expect to see estimates more in line with what has been posted.

Or since the government is dragging their feet into spending or building a separate infrastructure, we can have the non autonomous vehicles relegated to surface roads, lol.[emoticon]

I'm thinking more along the lines of those wanting to automate can privatize dedicated toll routes. They should be more productive with their "private drivers" at the wheel and pay for that increased efficiency rather than penalizing those that do not spend into that option.

* This post was edited 01/15/20 11:24am by Bedlam *

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 10:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

philh wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

But regulators are still hesitant. Human are funny as we can tolerate fatal error made by our own. But for machines, it has to be more than perfect.

Boeing might be having an issue or two with machine control [emoticon]

Lol, true that!

But that's an argument against those who are against too-much government.

And those that seem to be ok with private enterprises having more power and not taking the regulators seriously thinking they are intrusive and have too much power.

* This post was edited 01/15/20 11:31am by Yosemite Sam1 *

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 11:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

...But regulators are still hesitant. Human are funny as we can tolerate fatal error made by our own. But for machines, it has to be more than perfect.

Tell that to the family that lost their young daughter over the holidays in Indianapolis because the Tesla ran into a fire truck that was stopped in the lane on I-70.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

...But regulators are still hesitant. Human are funny as we can tolerate fatal error made by our own. But for machines, it has to be more than perfect.

Tell that to the family that lost their young daughter over the holidays in Indianapolis because the Tesla ran into a fire truck that was stopped in the lane on I-70.

Me thinks you have to get the circumstances of the accident before assigning blame.

So far, the investigations on accidents found driver fault for ignoring car's instructions for a driver to take the wheels in an auto-pilot mode.

And see post below, accidents are not something to be celebrated or condoned, but Tesla is still the safest car out there.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

30,000 lose their lives every year in the US due to traffic accidents. Imagine a day when self driving reduces that number to 5,000 deaths and soon people will forget where we came from. With those 5,000 deaths there will be calls to abandon the self driving. Will that be better or worse?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

30,000 lose their lives every year in the US due to traffic accidents. Imagine a day when self driving reduces that number to 5,000 deaths and soon people will forget where we came from. With those 5,000 deaths there will be calls to abandon the self driving. Will that be better or worse?

I think we are quite a long way from totally self driving cars unless major changes are made in roadways to work with them. How many times have you been through a section of road where the lanes have been changed and the old lines ground off. Sometimes it is very difficult to tell where the new lanes are and almost or actually impossible in rain or snow, particularly at night. Fully self driving vehicles will have to cope with these kinds of conditions flawlessly.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 01:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

I think we are quite a long way from totally self driving cars unless major changes are made in roadways to work with them. How many times have you been through a section of road where the lanes have been changed and the old lines ground off. Sometimes it is very difficult to tell where the new lanes are and almost or actually impossible in rain or snow, particularly at night. Fully self driving vehicles will have to cope with these kinds of conditions flawlessly.

If I recall correctly, California planned for it thinking that it would need magnetic-rods embedded on the roadways.

The project currently is just for clearer road markers and signs that Tesla said their cars can easily "read".

Don't know if the federal government is on the same page.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/15/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another Canadian cross country network announced. This is the third one now. Interesting that two of them are installed by gas station chains and the third one is Tesla. Petro-Canada best Tesla by one week with the completion of their cross Canada network.

The secondary highways in BC and Quebec are fairly well covered but the rest of the provinces still have a ways to go although Alberta is coming along quite well.

https://electricautonomy.ca/2020/01/15/c........stall-240-fast-chargers-before-year-end/

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/15/20 02:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wilber1 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Dadoffourgirls wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Yes, explain that to Dadoffourgirls.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 557  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.