RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 668  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/20/21 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Not sure first matters all that much. Producing a compelling vehicle people want to buy instead of another gasser will make the market. And the market is plenty big for all to have a slice. Great to know there will be different trucks for the likes of different people. Competition is good.

Agree!

I don't know about other truck buyers but mine, and the rest of the family, examines the specs, value and capabilities.

And that's where Tesla is ahead by a mile.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

If it doesn't connect to a reliable fast charger I am not interested. And the only reliable fast charger network that I am aware of right now belongs to Tesla.

Yah, I get that Groover. But I think you will see North America go in the direction of Europe, Japan, China, Thailand etc and you will see in the very near future a greater effort in the build out of Non Tesla Fast chargers. The map of DC fast chargers has gotten considerably more populated in the last year and I think the next two years there will be big acceleration. When you see the gap between Central BC and the state of Alaska close then the Cancun Mexico to Alaska route will be complete although they still have some work to do in Mexico as well, both Tesla and non Tesla. I have no idea on that timeline but I'll guess 3 or 4 years. Point is, many if not most will not be Tesla Superchargers so we all have to get used to other networks. The downside is they are mostly slower than Superchargers, but the plus side is there are a LOT more of them. Where we are, non Tesla DC Fast chargers outnumber Superchargers 10 to 1. I'm glad we bought our Chademo adapter. It definitely opens up the destination possibilities.

JMHO.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/20/21 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Japanese ev bikes are comin

https://youtu.be/0q_ufmHlWsA

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/24/21 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Despite Giga Texas being enveloped by low clouds all day, the crews were still working atop beams and cranes were swinging steel. Not as busy as a "normal" Sunday; the East structures and South were fairly calm, no GeoPiering happening today but a lot of action on the West side steel structure as it seems that the crew team there wants the cup!

Tesla Gigafactory Austin 4K Day 186 - 1/24/21

[image]

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Groover wrote:

If it doesn't connect to a reliable fast charger I am not interested. And the only reliable fast charger network that I am aware of right now belongs to Tesla.

Yah, I get that Groover. But I think you will see North America go in the direction of Europe, Japan, China, Thailand etc and you will see in the very near future a greater effort in the build out of Non Tesla Fast chargers. The map of DC fast chargers has gotten considerably more populated in the last year and I think the next two years there will be big acceleration. When you see the gap between Central BC and the state of Alaska close then the Cancun Mexico to Alaska route will be complete although they still have some work to do in Mexico as well, both Tesla and non Tesla. I have no idea on that timeline but I'll guess 3 or 4 years. Point is, many if not most will not be Tesla Superchargers so we all have to get used to other networks. The downside is they are mostly slower than Superchargers, but the plus side is there are a LOT more of them. Where we are, non Tesla DC Fast chargers outnumber Superchargers 10 to 1. I'm glad we bought our Chademo adapter. It definitely opens up the destination possibilities.

JMHO.

I keep hearing negative reports about the reliability of non-Tesla chargers as well. The most recent one being the TFL test comparing the Mustang E with the Model Y. The first two chargers they tried for the Mustang didn't work. They didn't mention this but when they did find one that worked the cost per Kwh was double that of the Tesla charger. I remember accusations being made a year or two ago that Elon was trying to get captive customers for his charging network so that he could gouge them when the cars needed to be charged. So far the opposite is true. And if it ever changes you can always use a Chademo adapter.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Groover wrote:

JMHO.

I keep hearing negative reports about the reliability of non-Tesla chargers as well. The most recent one being the TFL test comparing the Mustang E with the Model Y. The first two chargers they tried for the Mustang didn't work. They didn't mention this but when they did find one that worked the cost per Kwh was double that of the Tesla charger. I remember accusations being made a year or two ago that Elon was trying to get captive customers for his charging network so that he could gouge them when the cars needed to be charged. So far the opposite is true. And if it ever changes you can always use a Chademo adapter.

From what I gather from one of our leaf driving neighbours it’s a brand issue. Some chains like Chargepoint I think are pretty good. We use charge point when we are down south as the RFID card is super quick for payment etc. Price is okay. Here in BC the provincial public hydro company runs a lot of DCFC and they are super reliable. I have heard that Volkswagen’s network Electrify America and Electrify Canada can be iffy and expensive. With Covid and snowy roads we are mostly staying off the highways so starting to get out of touch with some of it. Minus 11 here yesterday morning. Brrrrr

The other thing is a few more V3 Superchargers have opened up on some of our more common routes here so we may not be using the Chademo adapter as much. Still handy for an extended lunch though as the longer charge time allows for a longer and more relaxed lunch. Choices are good. I still recommend the Chademo adapter to new Tesla owners. Superchargers are pretty reliable but transformers or power outages can still happen. Options are good.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/25/21 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Groover wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Groover wrote:

JMHO.

From what I gather from one of our leaf driving neighbours it’s a brand issue. Some chains like Chargepoint I think are pretty good. We use charge point when we are down south as the RFID card is super quick for payment etc. Price is okay. Here in BC the provincial public hydro company runs a lot of DCFC and they are super reliable. I have heard that Volkswagen’s network Electrify America and Electrify Canada can be iffy and expensive. With Covid and snowy roads we are mostly staying off the highways so starting to get out of touch with some of it. Minus 11 here yesterday morning. Brrrrr

The other thing is a few more V3 Superchargers have opened up on some of our more common routes here so we may not be using the Chademo adapter as much. Still handy for an extended lunch though as the longer charge time allows for a longer and more relaxed lunch. Choices are good. I still recommend the Chademo adapter to new Tesla owners. Superchargers are pretty reliable but transformers or power outages can still happen. Options are good.

What's the charging fee structure?

My latest was that Tesla is free (for Tesla vehicles only?).

All others charge an average of $30.

* This post was edited 01/25/21 12:17pm by Yosemite Sam1 *

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Groover wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Groover wrote:

JMHO.

What's the charging cost structure?

My latest was that Tesla is free (for Tesla vehicles only?).

All others charge an average of $30.

Tesla is not free although a feed years back some cars were sold with lifetime unlimited charging. Free would be a disaster as everyone would charge at Superchargers and plug them up instead of charging at home. There are still promotions where you can get three or 6 months free charging with the car. We got that. Only used about half of it as it is just more convenient to charge at home.

The cost varies by country and region but I think I read the average in the US right now is around 26 cents. Similar in Canada. Non Tesla Superchargers are typically about 33 to 45 cents but many are time based so it gets difficult to gauge.

A typical charge stop for us at a supercharger is about 11 bucks. But we generally run on 35 percent or better so don’t know what a full charge would be.

mikim

Rancho Cucamonga, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We get free supercharging as long as we own our two Tesla's due to when we bough them. Tesla does charge for new owners now, the specific rates are based on what the local utility company charges. The average is $.25/KW.

Tesla purchased in 2017 or earlier got free supercharging.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

Tesla is not free although a feed years back some cars were sold with lifetime unlimited charging. Free would be a disaster as everyone would charge at Superchargers and plug them up instead of charging at home. There are still promotions where you can get three or 6 months free charging with the car. We got that. Only used about half of it as it is just more convenient to charge at home.

The cost varies by country and region but I think I read the average in the US right now is around 26 cents. Similar in Canada. Non Tesla Superchargers are typically about 33 to 45 cents but many are time based so it gets difficult to gauge.

A typical charge stop for us at a supercharger is about 11 bucks. But we generally run on 35 percent or better so don’t know what a full charge would be.

It was free for life the first several years of sales and then a few promotions thereafter but now you have to pay for the most part. Part of it is that Elon underestimated people's willingness and ability to cheat the system. Some people would rather drive to a Supercharger and get a free charge than simply plug it in at home and spend $5 charging it while they sleep. Others were literally putting Bitcoin mining computers in the car and just leaving the car at the charging station so that Tesla would pay for their Bitcoins.

So many people were using Tesla charging stations as parking lots that Tesla had start charging if your car was left there with a full charge for too long.

Some states do not allow reselling electricity by the Kwh so Tesla has to charge by the time that you are hooked up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 668  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.