RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 668  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/25/21 02:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Reisender wrote:

Tesla is not free although a feed years back some cars were sold with lifetime unlimited charging. Free would be a disaster as everyone would charge at Superchargers and plug them up instead of charging at home. There are still promotions where you can get three or 6 months free charging with the car. We got that. Only used about half of it as it is just more convenient to charge at home.

The cost varies by country and region but I think I read the average in the US right now is around 26 cents. Similar in Canada. Non Tesla Superchargers are typically about 33 to 45 cents but many are time based so it gets difficult to gauge.

A typical charge stop for us at a supercharger is about 11 bucks. But we generally run on 35 percent or better so don’t know what a full charge would be.

It was free for life the first several years of sales and then a few promotions thereafter but now you have to pay for the most part. Part of it is that Elon underestimated people's willingness and ability to cheat the system. Some people would rather drive to a Supercharger and get a free charge than simply plug it in at home and spend $5 charging it while they sleep. Others were literally putting Bitcoin mining computers in the car and just leaving the car at the charging station so that Tesla would pay for their Bitcoins.

So many people were using Tesla charging stations as parking lots that Tesla had start charging if your car was left there with a full charge for too long.

Some states do not allow reselling electricity by the Kwh so Tesla has to charge by the time that you are hooked up.

Yah, good breakdown and explanation. I’m on the fence with the pay by time thing. On the one hand I like the pay by time approach as it gets people out of the Superchargers or DC fast chargers faster as the last 5 or 10 percent is kinda slow charging. On the other hand there are those days you want a little more time as you are eating lunch or just are in a situation where you want a full charge. We have never had to pay idle fees yet but a few of our friends have. I
Not sure if the parameters around that. I have heard that if the Supercharger has less than half the bays occupied there are no idle fees. But not sure about that. Quite frankly with Covid and snowy roads we haven’t used a Supercharger in months.

Cheers.

Groover

Pulaski, TN

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 11:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Back to the Semi, it appears that Tesla is getting serious enough about making some to start putting the work force together.

Tesla Nevada hiring people

Interestingly, producting may not be in Austin or Gigafactory 1 but in a building near Gigafactory 1 that Tesla leased nearly a year ago.

Nearby building

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The semi should be getting the new 4680 batteries,
[image]

4680 batteries video

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

NJRVer

NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/21 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

8.1 Van wrote:

The semi should be getting the new 4680 batteries,
[image]

4680 batteries video

I am a big Tesla fan, but that picture is way out of proportion.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Groover wrote:

Back to the Semi, it appears that Tesla is getting serious enough about making some to start putting the work force together.

Tesla Nevada hiring people

Interestingly, producting may not be in Austin or Gigafactory 1 but in a building near Gigafactory 1 that Tesla leased nearly a year ago.

Nearby building

About time.

It actually puzzles me that Tesla have been building Giga's all over the country when their Nevada facility is underutilized.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Biiden plan to replace government vehicles with EV

The current administration is on board with country's march to EV.

650,000 is a lot!

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 09:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

650,000 is a lot!

I saw that but after reading the artical no one has any capacity to build it to Bidens specs at this point and time. Lol. All smoke and mirrors at this point.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

650,000 is a lot!
That is more than Tesla produced all of last year.
I believe they will need to be US built so GM, Ford, Nissan and others may get a piece also.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/27/21 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

650,000 is a lot!

I saw that but after reading the artical no one has any capacity to build it to Bidens specs at this point and time. Lol. All smoke and mirrors at this point.

You must be kidding. Even Tesla can produce them if given the vendor exclusivity as this will be purchased over time.

I doubt though if Tesla will customize to produce those postal delivery vehicles -- so Ford, GM can get part of. the action.

And maybe Toyota, Nissan, too, if they can comply with the new and stricter American content mandate by Biden-Harris administration..

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 01/27/21 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

650,000 is a lot!

I can see something like the Chevy Bolt having a role in some applications. It’s the right size, decent range, not crazy expensive, mostly good reputation. But it’s primarily a Korean car that is assembled in the US so not sure if it’s admissibility.

The Ford Mach E is kinda racy not to mention it is built in Mexico.

The various Tesla models are used in police forces already and I can see the plain Jane model 3 4 door sedan being a fit for some roles. The cheap Cybertruck might work.

Rivians Van should be a natural fit.

Most of the rest are European or Chinese. The Nissan Leaf is made in Tennessee. No idea how much comes from Japan. It would be a good fit in cooler climates. Leafs don’t like heat.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 668  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.