RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 710  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/21/21 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Livestreamed last evening from GigaTexas

[image]


2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT


Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/23/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sold all my Tesla stocks.

Looks like Elon gone rogue or simply don't care. Tesla may get dropped on the ESGV (environment, social, governanc) or good guys ETF-mutual funds.

Tesla's latest letter to stockholders is to vote for his new director James Murdoch (of Fox infamy), vote against reporting on human rights, diversity and inclusion and employee arbitration.

And true FSD, as we thought it would be, is stilll a pipe dream -- calling our Cybertruck to fetch us in our campsite or go to one campsite to the next with us napping at the back seat. We will always have to be on the steering wheel.

* This post was edited 09/24/21 07:33am by Yosemite Sam1 *

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/23/21 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

Senior Member

Joined: 03/20/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/28/21 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No money worries for Elon.

[image]

free radical

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 02/07/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/28/21 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While we wait for Tesla lets check
Rivian review and test drive of road in Colorado.

https://youtu.be/KGqexebCcUo

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/20/2003

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/28/21 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

And true FSD, as we thought it would be, is stilll a pipe dream -- calling our Cybertruck to fetch us in our campsite or go to one campsite to the next with us napping at the back seat. We will always have to be on the steering wheel.


I'm no expert, but I've often said that the transition to autonomous cars is going to be messy. The problem is not the technology, it's human nature. People only pay as much attention as they need to. If the car pretty much drives itself but gets confused when it snows or encounters emergency lights on the side of the road, the human behind the wheel will not be prepared to take action when needed. This has been the cause of many aircraft crashes, when an autopilot malfunctions and the pilot doesn't have the necessary skill to fly the aircraft in a manner necessary to avoid the crash. With a car, these situations unfold in fractions of a second and if the car has been driving itself for the last 30 miles, the driver's mind and body will not be prepared to "take the wheel" with 1/10th of a second's notice.

Tvov

CT

Senior Member

Joined: 07/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 09/29/21 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

While we wait for Tesla lets check
Rivian review and test drive of road in Colorado.

https://youtu.be/KGqexebCcUo


Good video.

I had posted earlier that I forgot about Rivian, didn't even know they were in production.

One huge "issue"...

Of course all vehicles have their own design, and many times vehicles are designed to set themselves apart.

But.

I showed my wife parts of that video, especially where the front of the Rivian is clearly visible. Wife had same response I had when I first saw a Rivian years ago...

"OMG. That is ugly!"

Here's hoping that the Rivian does not go the same way as the car that it reminds me of... perfectly good car, but the styling of the Ford Edsel pretty much killed it.

Don't mean to hijack the thread too much, I guess Rivian should have its' own thread?


_________________________________________________________
2008 F-250 CrewCab 5.4L,
2004 21' Forest River Surveyor


Groover

Pulaski, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/17/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 09/29/21 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

And true FSD, as we thought it would be, is stilll a pipe dream -- calling our Cybertruck to fetch us in our campsite or go to one campsite to the next with us napping at the back seat. We will always have to be on the steering wheel.


I'm no expert, but I've often said that the transition to autonomous cars is going to be messy. The problem is not the technology, it's human nature. People only pay as much attention as they need to. If the car pretty much drives itself but gets confused when it snows or encounters emergency lights on the side of the road, the human behind the wheel will not be prepared to take action when needed. This has been the cause of many aircraft crashes, when an autopilot malfunctions and the pilot doesn't have the necessary skill to fly the aircraft in a manner necessary to avoid the crash. With a car, these situations unfold in fractions of a second and if the car has been driving itself for the last 30 miles, the driver's mind and body will not be prepared to "take the wheel" with 1/10th of a second's notice.


The problem is also legal implications. If the problem was just "the human wasn't paying attention" FSD would have a good chance of succeeding. And for the most part that is the way autopilot in airplanes is treated. But, it is apparent that many want to hold FSD responsible anytime a human makes a mistake. And the main driver for that it simply that Elon Musk especially but also every other producer of self driving cars on the road has much deeper pockets than the typical human and a lot of people are trying to figure ways to get into those pockets.

Back when Elon and Tesla were on the edge of bankruptcy and had nothing to lose they didn't have to worry much about getting sued. Now there are are schools of legal sharks circling just looking for opportunities to get rich off of someone else's work.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2020

View Profile






Posted: 09/29/21 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

While we wait for Tesla lets check
Rivian review and test drive of road in Colorado.

https://youtu.be/KGqexebCcUo

This Rivian is the future.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/28/2018

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 09/29/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm no expert either. But in an exchange among techies, I gathered that full self driving cannot be achieved unless;

1. All other cars are similarly equipped (and ideally, communicating with each other);

2. National (or even global) infrastructure is build up so that road network has clear markers that an FSD can "read'". Analogy given, if I recall correctly, are modern planes that now has capability to take off, fly to destinations and land without a pilot. It is able to do it because of multiple redundant system that constantly communicate with markers for minute maneuvers and course correction.

Relevant to us RVers is that an FSD equipped vehicle will have to assume control to our campsite and over our unbeaten paths. I see Elon's Starlink guiding my Cybertruck on these tasks.

NTSB is telling Tesla to drop the "full" in the FSD for it being a mis-representation of its capabilities and a cause for confusion.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 710  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.