RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 753  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/22 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

As for the semis, my son-in-law is planning to go into trucking with a goal of buying (several) Tesla semis.
Well, everyone needs a goal, of course some people will limit themselves to attainable goals. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/19/22 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

As for the semis, my son-in-law is planning to go into trucking with a goal of buying (several) Tesla semis.
Well, everyone needs a goal, of course some people will limit themselves to attainable goals. [emoticon]

Dreams, wishes, goals, all the same thing, right?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/23/22 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Dreams, wishes, goals, all the same thing, right?

Dreams and wishes... that's when you don't have the money.[emoticon]

Goals is when you have the talent, knowledge and resources, but the timing might not yet be right.[emoticon]

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/25/22 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

@Reisender - Whichever it is, it will all be good news for me.

Although we are thinking of getting a truck camper for F150 or, if Lance do one for Cybertruck. We experience so many stops and parking limitations with a trailer.

If I had a million dollars, I'd do the same thing, and keep on truckin' until it was all gone! Trucking is a brutal industry now, and even though an electric truck isn't being hammered by fuel costs right now, a Tesla or other class 8 truck is so unproductive in a long haul application they don't stand a chance. If they ain't turnin' they ain't earnin'! A 400 mile run followed by a long charge (infrastructure for charging OTR electric trucks isn't a thing yet) isn't going to make any money. Short haul they would be great, but most short haul gigs for an owner/operator are hauling containers, and if you've seen the trucks hauling cans around here, you know they're at the bottom of the food chain.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/22 10:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

If I had a million dollars, I'd do the same thing, and keep on truckin' until it was all gone! Trucking is a brutal industry now, and even though an electric truck isn't being hammered by fuel costs right now, a Tesla or other class 8 truck is so unproductive in a long haul application they don't stand a chance. If they ain't turnin' they ain't earnin'! A 400 mile run followed by a long charge (infrastructure for charging OTR electric trucks isn't a thing yet) isn't going to make any money. Short haul they would be great, but most short haul gigs for an owner/operator are hauling containers, and if you've seen the trucks hauling cans around here, you know they're at the bottom of the food chain.

Am surprised myself as some who want to join him in partnership have college degree like him. Seems just sick and tired of office politics and suffocating on their desk jobs (lol).

Must be temporary with the current truck/driver shortage, but one operator/owner friend said that he can now be choosy with the load and now just accepting West Coast routes and can be home 3 to 4 times a week. A bit of news to me since a former church mate owner/operator was saying that the more juicy or profitable routes are reserved to the company owned trucks and he, together with operators like him, are left with the trash left over destinations.

Yup, Tesla semis would be ideal for regional short-hauls. Sorry, am not familiar with trucking terminologies.

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/22 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As of today, EV semi tractor-trailers like the Tesla semi is ideal for regional day trips ONLY! Mainly delivery routes within 250 miles(since the range is only 500 miles) that freight companies like Fed-ex and UPS make. The technology, range, and infrastructure is not there for anything else even regional over night trips. And yes, you are wishing or dreaming if you think otherwise. Reality doesn't support that dream just yet. Maybe in 5-10 years(or more), but no right now.

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/22 01:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@Reisender -- how much drop in mileage are you seeing with your tow?

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/31/22 01:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ShinerBock wrote:

As of today, EV semi tractor-trailers like the Tesla semi is ideal for regional day trips ONLY! Mainly delivery routes within 250 miles(since the range is only 500 miles) that freight companies like Fed-ex and UPS make. The technology, range, and infrastructure is not there for anything else even regional over night trips. And yes, you are wishing or dreaming if you think otherwise. Reality doesn't support that dream just yet. Maybe in 5-10 years(or more), but no right now.
I expect cross country in a Semi will be a contest very soon once released to private owners.
Should prove interesting.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/22 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

I expect cross country in a Semi will be a contest very soon once released to private owners.

I can see a 21st century Smokey and the Bandit remake.
East bound and down, loaded up and chargin. We gonna do what Elon says can’t be done…
We gotta long way to and 10 more ?!’!, ing chArging stops. Just watch ole bandit charge!

It won’t be a car chase it’ll be whether snowman can charge his rig before Buford T Justice does! He’ll walk out of the diner over to the supercharger with TP stuck to his glasses!

ShinerBock

LVTX

View Profile

Posted: 05/31/22 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

ShinerBock wrote:

I hate to burst your bubble here, but all the major manufacturers and fleets say no. Class 7 & 8 truck industry is what I do and have done for the past 20+ years. I currently at mid level at the cooperate headquarters of the worlds largest class 7 & 8 truck dealer group. I speak with most of the top manufactures and fleets on a regular cadence. I am not saying this to bolster my ego, but rather to give you insight that I do know more than most about this industry. I was actually just recently helping with a deal selling several large truck EV chargers to a customer in California.

All the fleets, manufacturers, and industry experts say that we have a long way to go to be able to do long haul with EV's. Not just with the trucks and batteries, but also with also the infrastructure along the way. The amount of energy needed to fast charge just one semi(let a lone a whole fleet) in the 30 minutes that Tesla states is huge or even over night is a lot more than places a long these major routes can handle.

EV's semi's were actually part of the discussion at the last HDAW conference which is a bunch of industry experts talking about the future of the industry. The panel (some who were EV truck manufacturers) came to the same conclusion that I am telling you know that while they are great for daily runs below 250 miles, the trucks and the infrastructure along these major routes still have a long way to go to be able to support these fleets and it will take a lot more than just placing chargers everywhere.

Sorry, but I would take the word of someone who is actually in the industry than a fanboy of the technology who is only looking at if from an bias outsiders perspective purposely neglecting all of the hurdles and challenges that need to overcome. If you want to have a serious discussion about it then we can. I am not anti-EV or opposed to long-haul EV semis. I just know what it would take to make a reality.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 753  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.