RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 797  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 08/30/22 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stsmark wrote:

I have wondered if the projected range numbers are at 55 mph, CA speed limit for vehicles towing. Or is it at 70-75 like other states.

Wa St is 60 MPH for rigs over 10k lbs or pulling trailers at any weight!

I recall Indiana? When I went thru their a decade or two ago, also was 55 for all rigs on an interstate. I can see why as they had off and on ramps, cities closer than other area's of the country.

Seattle where Ive lived since day one, used to be 55 in the center of town on I5. Not its 60 all the way thru. Reality, there is a 2-3 miles stretch that in general, no one even at midnight is driving much over 50-55. a 60 mph speed limit is not viable IMHO.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Dadoffourgirls

China, MI USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/22 05:41am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stsmark wrote:

I have wondered if the projected range numbers are at 55 mph, CA speed limit for vehicles towing. Or is it at 70-75 like other states.

Accuracy, details, and specific requirements do not belong in marketing woo. The engineers will have to defend getting the range that E proclaimed. Since I just did a 780 mile trip from the far east of MI to far Southwest of Iowa, I know that truck speed limits in MI, IN and IL are 65 and IA is 70. Therefore, someone should be able to run from Detroit to Davenport IA on a single charge. Or a better run, Omaha to Chicago.

Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/22 10:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

free radical wrote:

Tesla semi w full load 600 mile range,that was 2019.
Driver should take a rest and recharge anyway by then.
I know I would. Lol

Many long distance OTR trucks run driver teams, those trucks are most profitable when wheels are turning 16+ hours a day. The Semi has a rated 500 mile range, which will make OTR operations less profitable even with the reduced cost of fuel. On the other hand, those electric rigs should shine in short haul and pickup/delivery operations.

Please keep your logical conditions and real world accepted scenarois out of this thread....lol.
If you're not riding a pink unicorn with a rainbow colored tail, your logic and sound judgement have no place here....
Cheers bro!

(Nevermind the ridiculous 11/14/60/70 hours of service limitations that have been put into law in recent years. Let's cripple the trucking industry even more as costs are also skyrocketing from every angle....)
The unicorn fart sniffers will be paying $20 for their $8 package of tofurkey at the Whole Foods before much longer....)

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/22 08:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

free radical wrote:

I know I would. Lol

Many long distance OTR trucks run driver teams, those trucks are most profitable when wheels are turning 16+ hours a day. The Semi has a rated 500 mile range, which will make OTR operations less profitable even with the reduced cost of fuel. On the other hand, those electric rigs should shine in short haul and pickup/delivery operations.

Actualy I think EV will be more profitable bc diesel cost way more then electricity.
Not to mention maintanance oil changes etc.
So the EV driver can aford to take a break and recharge every 500 or so miles and still make decent profit.

How much exactly remains to be seen.
But definitely more then fosil fuel pusher.

Reminds me of someone working at Chryslers and he used to work only 4 days a week while other workers were pushing as much overtime as they could.

Dont know why maybe had other hobies or didnt care to pay too much income tax. Anyhow

Of course the big boss comes running and asks;
why are you working only four days a week ??

Dood says bc I cant make enough money in three days.

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/22 08:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Funny part is I actually see the potential value or convenience of future EVs. (Because it’s not there yet and if you think it is, you’re not good with money or have enough that it doesn’t matter.)
But the free radicals who aren’t problem solvers but rather just idealists still can’t get past the shiny new object!

Shiny new objects,,like these maybe ? [emoticon]

https://youtu.be/L7YovXXVHMY

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/31/22 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I personally can't wait for the Semi to hit the market with FSD.
The world is far too populated with kids anyway! Who needs the little bas......er nippers? [emoticon]

When this Semi comes out with FSD it will be like Frogger in real life. Only the agile will survive. Old people? Nope you're toast. Kids? Nope; not fast enough. It will be like the the movie The Purge in real life 24/7/365

No wait!!! THIS is how it's going to be!!! Except everybody on the street is at risk instead of just a guy in a Dodge Dart!! [emoticon]

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/22 10:08pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Please keep your logical conditions and real world accepted scenarois out of this thread....lol.
If you're not riding a pink unicorn with a rainbow colored tail, your logic and sound judgement have no place here....
Cheers bro!

(Nevermind the ridiculous 11/14/60/70 hours of service limitations that have been put into law in recent years. Let's cripple the trucking industry even more as costs are also skyrocketing from every angle....)
The unicorn fart sniffers will be paying $20 for their $8 package of tofurkey at the Whole Foods before much longer....)
Yes only Turtle is allowed to tell of the coming future (see just above). [emoticon]

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/22 04:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

rjstractor wrote:

free radical wrote:

I know I would. Lol

Actualy I think EV will be more profitable bc diesel cost way more then electricity.
So the EV driver can aford to take a break and recharge every 500 or so miles and still make decent profit.

Reminds me of someone working at Chryslers and he used to work only 4 days a week while other workers were pushing as much overtime as they could.

Dont know why maybe had other hobies or didnt care to pay too much income tax. Anyhow

That math MAY work with todays prices. But once electic demand goes up as everyone is charging their cars, it will get really pricey.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/22 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These people never ceases to amaze me.

There is always a cloud in their silver lining and, if there's none, they'll get their hoses so they can make rain in somebody's parade.

Truckers and companies are lining up to reserve their semis.

And seriously, they don't think that these people and their analyst has not done their due diligence best use, cost-benefit... before they decided.

Come on!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/22 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

rjstractor wrote:

free radical wrote:

I know I would. Lol

How can you say diesel costs more than electricity? How much is a gallon of electricity or a batter full of diesel?
Again, you didn’t do the math, and while none of us can cite the actual cost and range of the mythical Tesla semi, if I take an actual towing power consumption of say a Ford lightning tow test, use that as a baseline for kWh/lb/mi to get the consumption of an 80klb semi and recharge it at $.25/kWh which is I believe an accurate rate for roadside Superchargers, I get an equivalent of about $5.50 per “gallon” of electricity to power a Tesla.
No bullchit….
Maybe I’m wrong and certainly neither of us have analyzed the rest of the costs/benefits of either setup. You didn’t even attempt to explain how you think apples cost more than toasters, so….
But at current (no pun) verified power consumption rates and charging rates, the gallon of electricity (at normal not inflated prices like fuel now) costs more than even the overpriced fuel we’re buying atm.

Next caller please ….

* This post was edited 09/01/22 12:00pm by Grit dog *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 797  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.