RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 797  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/12/22 10:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just repeat Tesla news as reported.
OK and you have stated there would be no Semi EVER.

So far you are correct [emoticon]

The recent move to split the stock 3 for 1 ...... Is that an order of the bankwuptcy court?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/22 09:18am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

free radical wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

I want someone who wants to play Hullk to show us how he can cast a 3mm stainless steel panel nearly 20 feet long with a brake and shear.[emoticon]

Or, he can use several brakes and, surely, he only needs one shear -- and he can take as long as he wants to cut it into shape of the Cybertruck or Pinewood Derby Car if he wants to simplify it.[emoticon]

Youre dealing w Ludites here.
Dont expect inteligent answers.
Only FUD

Awww not you too…
First Yosemite, then 8.1, now you?

Man at least Reisender owns a Tesla. Heck he even tows his camper with it. And is knowledgeable and contributory in a positive sense. (Actually he’s a pioneer of sorts in the EV/RV game, while you clowns just manifest as wanna be’s)

Lessons learned, somebody might call you out on your bs.[emoticon]

And like @free radical, give you a personality profile from the pattern of your previous and present posts.[emoticon]

Naw, man, I just call'em like I see 'em. Heck you could be right. But the concept of almost 1/8" thick steel body panels on ANY vehicle, save for one that is armored up, is totally foreign to me and goes against any remedial engineering calculations that I have to believe didn't fly out the window when designing a vehicle for any sort of efficiency.
You seen a Cyber truck where the door skins feel like the side of a dump truck box?

I'll presume you, the Frenchradical and 8.1 will just keep the smoke produced in your dreams of owning a stainless steel splitting wedge on wheels!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/22 08:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Naw, man, I just call'em like I see 'em. Heck you could be right. But the concept of almost 1/8" thick steel body panels on ANY vehicle, save for one that is armored up, is totally foreign to me and goes against any remedial engineering calculations that I have to believe didn't fly out the window when designing a vehicle for any sort of efficiency.
You seen a Cyber truck where the door skins feel like the side of a dump truck box?

I'll presume you, the Frenchradical and 8.1 will just keep the smoke produced in your dreams of owning a stainless steel splitting wedge on wheels!

and that totally puzzles me, pretending knowledge of casting and advanced materials when you'll later admit to being foreign on the topic and just did remedial engineering, lol.

Oh yeah, I am still waiting for that truck with skin of made of material similar to rocket ship. If it turns out to be just like waiting for Godot, that's just $100 parked there somewhere idle and worth the admission fee for dreamin' the "best truck you'll ever own".

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/22 09:25am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

and that totally puzzles me, pretending knowledge of casting and advanced materials when you'll later admit to being foreign on the topic and just did remedial engineering, lol.

Oh yeah, I am still waiting for that truck with skin of made of material similar to rocket ship. If it turns out to be just like waiting for Godot, that's just $100 parked there somewhere idle and worth the admission fee for dreamin' the "best truck you'll ever own".

While it's obvious that you are able to produce words and not substance, let's break it down.
First, "remedial" engineering. My point being, when designing a vehicle, fuel efficiency is generally at the forefront of non working passenger vehicles (and all vehicles frankly, but CAFE standards apply to passenger vehicles). And the lowest hanging fruits are weight and aerodynamics.
Keep paying attention here, trying to boost you to a 1% er here....
Aerodynamics? Check. It's shaped like a doorstop, got that part right, as ugly and unconventional as it may be.
Weight? OOPs nope, missed the boat there. Ever wonder why the "weight" of the cybertruck is not published anywhere? You just found out.

Now the definition of "foreign", in this context, = strange and unfamiliar. Do you not agree, that, the fact that this truck will purportedly have almost 1/8" thick body panels with a (speculated, since Tusk's secret formula steel is not public knowledge ,or may just be marketing fodder for those overly impressed with shiny objects...I mean, he caught you hook line and sinker...)
You can explain what your interpretation of "30X stainless" is. But even if it lives up to the wildest claims out there that it is cold rolled to the point of yield almost = to tensile strength and is a 300 series stainless. Then that makes it very yield resistant, yet removes virtually all the ductility. Not a good thing, but possible to design around this constraint with extreme chassis rigidity.
Regardless you don't know what 30X stainless means or is, and neither do I, so there's zero chance you'll be able to enlighten anyone here...
BUT, if you take the most plausible theory that this "nearly impenetrable" skin is a real thing, it's so hard (brittle, but not weak, there's a difference) that it cant be formed....back to my shear and brake vs stamping. A slight deformation can be achieved (presumably) in the form of a straight bend, but there's not near enough ductility to stamp it into any complex shape that would require any large strain (fancy word for stretching). So, yup that's another reason it has to be shaped like splitting wedge with only a couple slightly non-planar surfaces. Limitations of the material used.

Now back to the giga press. Even IF that was used to stamp body panels, but it's not, it's for stamping and/or casting the actual structure, the panels are, even if as wildly hard and yield resistant as claimed, nothing special when it comes to industrial size brakes. It's a proverbial piece of paper compared to big iron and by quick "remedial" calcs, even the long side panels could easily be bent in a run of the mill 500 ton press.

And while you are probably reading this and thinking gibberish since you don't understand mechanics of materials very well, I'll just throw out the most basic real-world flaw in this plan.
This is meant to be a somewhat "normal" car, right? Like, mass produced, daily drivers, exposed to all the hazards a normal passenger vehicle would be, like collisions?
Is the hamster cage starting to turn now, or do you have it set to dreamer mode where only endorphins spawned by delusions of grandeur allow your brain to power up?
What happens in a fender bender? Well, this magical skin, if it is what is I described above (which surely you are already aware of being a self proclaimed Elon n u t humper) it will ward off shopping cart dings and minor parking lot type fender benders like a Ranch Hand bumper! Great, no more door dings and little whiskey dents to deal with.
But what happens when it get into a collision? Nevermind the practical and financial challenge or impossibility of getting it repaired without taking it to Teslas own newly formed in house collision repair center. And how much the insurance will be on something that is orders of magnitude greater cost to fix than a "normal" car? (Remember the Teslas running around today are just normal cars with a high price tag and a durable drive system) My guess is, you'd rather insure a new Lambo, Pagani or Koenisegg than this thing!

But that's just the largely prohibitive real world consumer impact.
Now lets talk safety standards.....
2 words, crumple zone.
IF you have a vehicle with a skin that is so thick and so hard/stiff that it's "nearly impenetrable" the structure supporting it will have to be equally as robust and stiff (and heavy...but we talked about that already, I guess an Aluminum structure could help here, but not in the rigidity department and ability to pass NHSTA standards for passenger and other vehicle safety...or in layman's terms, you'd never get an up armored vehicle certified by current safety standards).

So I'll presume that these types of considerations above, you'll just chalk op to the "magic" of the Cybertruck, and certainly won't provide anything meaningful to debate or disspell what I just said. But it adds the proper context to the smoke show that has been created around this vehicle.

I mean, Elon is all about makin money that folds, right? And he's now had EVs on the road for the better part of 20 years and mass production for about 10 years and popularity for about 5.
After all that, can't put another heavier duty EV on the road? Little bigger motors, little bigger batteries, technology and production capability are already there.....but there's another reason and i just explained it in less than remedial terms for you.

Will there be a cyber truck? Probably, very likely, would be bad business to not live up to the hype on at least some level.
Will it be made of unobtanium rocket ship parts? I'll place my bet on a hard NO and hold.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/22 10:40am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

While it's obvious that you are able to produce words and not substance, let's break it down.
First, "remedial" engineering. My point being, when designing a vehicle, fuel efficiency is generally at the forefront of non working passenger vehicles ....

You could have saved your breath, and the forum's bandwidth by proving your boast that you can do a Cybertruck body with a "brake and shear'. But I'm the last person to tell people what to do and where to waste their time, so you go ahead.

You could have even make me read it (even with my impatience for blowhards and luddites (not mine but I'm owning it) plus my very short attention span.[emoticon]

* This post was edited 06/14/22 11:21am by Yosemite Sam1 *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/22 11:30am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

First, "remedial" engineering. My point being, when designing a vehicle, fuel efficiency is generally at the forefront of non working passenger vehicles ....

You could have saved your breath, and the forum's bandwidth by proving your boast that you can do a Cybertruck body with a "brake and shear'. But I'm the last person to tell people what to do and where to waste their time, so you go ahead.

You could have even make me read it (even with my impatience for blowhards and luddites (not mine but I'm owning it) plus my very short attention span.[emoticon]

You could have stopped at quoting just this much of my post...
"While it's obvious that you are able to produce words and not substance,"

Since the rest apparently of no interest and it sounded like Charlie Brown's teacher to you and you're more of a rely on magic and marketing rather than facts and engineering kinda guy!

Cheers man!
Hope the Cyber truck is all you hoped it would be and a bag of chips if you ever get one!
Seriously. No ill will meant. I understand it's hard for some to be realists.

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/22 11:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

video

2002 Chevy Express LS 3500 8.1 155" WB passenger van 3.73 posi (GT4/G80)
2003 Thor Citation 41-ZBSR 41ft TT

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/22 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

edit

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/22 01:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

@8..1 Van - can you point to us where we can apply @Grit dog's "brake and shear' in lieu of that multi-million press that should approximate building the Cybertruck into garage-built Pinewood Derby Car.

Seems he is not quitting anytime soon and thought we're stupid to be diverted into a red herring, sorry, don't know where he was going into that kilometric post -- when caught with the pants down.

8.1 Van

Millstone NJ

View Profile

Posted: 06/14/22 06:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

A Reddit user u/IeZaeL visited IDRA Group’s Open House event and took some good pictures of the 9000t (OL 9000 CS) Giga Casting machine.

The most interesting picture is the machine layout diagram of the 9000-ton Giga Casting machine that he posted online (below). The technical diagram specifically mentions that the total weight of this machine is 688,200 Kg (1517221.29 lbs) — and this includes 27,300 Kg (60186 lbs) of water-glycol. No surprise that this is the largest Giga Casting machine ever built.

[image]

9000 ton Cybertruck Giga Casting Machine

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 797  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.