RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 797  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/22 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

free radical wrote:

rjstractor wrote:

free radical wrote:

Tesla semi w full load 600 mile range,that was 2019.
Driver should take a rest and recharge anyway by then.
I know I would. Lol

Many long distance OTR trucks run driver teams, those trucks are most profitable when wheels are turning 16+ hours a day. The Semi has a rated 500 mile range, which will make OTR operations less profitable even with the reduced cost of fuel. On the other hand, those electric rigs should shine in short haul and pickup/delivery operations.

Actualy I think EV will be more profitable bc diesel cost way more then electricity.
Not to mention maintanance oil changes etc.
So the EV driver can aford to take a break and recharge every 500 or so miles and still make decent profit.

How much exactly remains to be seen.
But definitely more then fosil fuel pusher.

Reminds me of someone working at Chryslers and he used to work only 4 days a week while other workers were pushing as much overtime as they could.

Dont know why maybe had other hobies or didnt care to pay too much income tax. Anyhow

Of course the big boss comes running and asks;
why are you working only four days a week ??

Dood says bc I cant make enough money in three days.

That math MAY work with todays prices. But once electic demand goes up as everyone is charging their cars, it will get really pricey.

Let’s not give credit where it’s not due. There was no math used by the author of that post.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/22 11:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yosemite Sam1 wrote:

These people never ceases to amaze me.

There is always a cloud in their silver lining and, if there's none, they'll get their hoses so they can make rain in somebody's parade.

Truckers and companies are lining up to reserve their semis.

And seriously, they don't think that these people and their analyst has not done their due diligence best use, cost-benefit... before they decided.

Come on!

The water hose is to try to water down the koolaid youre drinking before it causes you a blood sugar issue, since you can’t seem to put the cup down….
Do you read those publicity stunt articles and get a chub when you read “Karat packaging a leading distributor of recyclable blah blah blah is proud to place an order of _____semis, so we can do out part to reduce our carbon footprint and save the whales and the spotted owls, at the same time!” ?
PS, your man crush on Elon was just kinda gross, but who am I to judge. But now it’s getting downright creepy…

stsmark

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/22 12:50pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So I started doing some simple math. Tesla states less than 2 kw per mile, so if I give them the benefit of the doubt and say 1.5 kw / mi. The 600 mile Semi will need a 900 kw pack. Add some margin and you’re looking at a 1mw pack. To add the 70% or 420 miles in 30 min that’s 700 kw. So I’m thinking the Mega charger is 1.5 mw/hr. To install several thousand of those around the country will be no small project especially financially. I know they put 5 at GF Reno but remember Teslas next door neighbor there is a 1100mw gas plant and all the infrastructure was installed in roughly the last 20 years to support a new industrial corridor.
I know Frito in Modesto installed 2 or more chargers so it’s obvious they’re getting the first trucks. Of course they’re going to use them such that they come home every day. No doubt they have a plan of routes already sorted based off Tesla data. Personally they’ll be beta testers.
I think the idea using these trucks going Company facility to Company facility will be the norm for quite awhile. By that I also mean say Modesto to LA basin. They’re not going to accept or risk being number 3 in line at a Pilot.
Feel free to fire at will.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/22 01:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stsmark wrote:

So I started doing some simple math. Tesla states less than 2 kw per mile, so if I give them the benefit of the doubt and say 1.5 kw / mi.
Feel free to fire at will.

Not firing at you, but firing at will....
If that claim of even 2kw/mile were true, that would mean that the tesla semi is several times more efficient than real world reports (if one believes the internet where we ALL get our info) of the Lightning towing an Airstream.
Is the Telsa semi more aerodynamic than a F150 with an Airstream? Arguably and realistically, yes.
Is it orders of magnitude more aerodynamic or efficient? Not a chance in _____!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/22 01:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tesla EVs are at the top of EV efficiency ratings. Proof either way will come when the rubber hits the road.
At least 100 more days of banter before we will know.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/22 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stsmark wrote:

Tesla states less than 2 kw per mile, so if I give them the benefit of the doubt and say 1.5 kw / mi.

And you believe them? Seriously? You really believe them?

I was on vacation last week and the guy next to me had a beautiful 35' to 38'5er and new(ish) GM Dmax truck. So I ask him what kind of mileage he was getting towing that big 5er. He looked me straight in the eye and said 14 mpg. So I say, you're getting 14 towing that trailer? He said yep, but it's not as good as all as the 2017 Dodge I had.....it got 17 mpg towing it. I just smiled and said, oh that's really good. LMAO.

Let me show you my math: The Lightning extended comes with a 131mwh battery. That 131mwh battery towed a 7K lb trailer86 miles in this towing test

Now, this is a teeny tiny little 1/2 ton pickup with a tiny 7K lb trailer. So waaaaaay less than 20K lbs total gross.

You do know a semi weighs 80K lbs fully loaded right? So 4 times the weight of this little rig. Now couple that with more than twice the amount of tires (think rolling res) and a whole bunch more of trailer catching wind. Now couple that with brakes and suspension likely also 4 times the weight of this pickup. Then you have the rotating mass weight of the drive motors and all of that kind of stuff.

Now lets do the math. Not really much to do. The truck had 131mwh battery in it and it went 86 miles. Waaaaaaaay less than 1 mile/mwh towing way less than 20K. Do you really think a semi towing 80K will get 1.5 miles/mwh?

The Lightning got around a 1/3 of the mileage when it was towing than solo. Also during this towing test there was not much for hills at all. I have been on this road towing a few times.

Tusk says the Semi will have a 500mwh battery in it. So lets say the Semi can go 1/4 mile/mwh. I don't think that will every happen but lets say I'm wrong. A Semi with a 500mwh battery will have a range of 125 miles. Now in real life you better find a charger around 75 to 100 miles. Remember when you are OTR trucking; much like RVing, you can't go to the last mile before filling up so your range will be less.

Now do you think you can compete with a OTR truck that can go over 1,000 miles on a tank of fuel? And can refill the tank in less than 10 minutes? Really?

On another note, my state just issued a power warning. They want you to cut back on AC and not plug your cars in and not wash your cloths and all of that for fear of black outs. Nice hu? I can't wait until these Semi's hit the road to suck up tons of juice!! [emoticon]

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/22 02:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

On another note, my state just issued a power warning. They want you to cut back on AC and not plug your cars in and not wash your cloths and all of that for fear of black outs. Nice hu? I can't wait until these Semi's hit the road to suck up tons of juice!! [emoticon]
I expect utility controlled restrictions on these chargers. And like many already do, I expect Tesla to install large stationary batteries to charge when they want and even profit from pushing power back into the utility when requested.

May take time. Batteries are in perpetual short supply.

Many (including myself) have already signed up to allow the utility to curtail some energy use and we receive credits for participation. No restrictions yet this year.

Common and ordinary plan already in place.

BTW my EV will be fully charged well before the 4pm-to-9pm requested voluntary power reduction. I could not charge my car if I wanted to. It is already full. [emoticon]

Huntindog

Phoenix AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/22 02:53pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rjstractor wrote:

free radical wrote:

Tesla semi w full load 600 mile range,that was 2019.
Driver should take a rest and recharge anyway by then.
I know I would. Lol

Many long distance OTR trucks run driver teams, those trucks are most profitable when wheels are turning 16+ hours a day. The Semi has a rated 500 mile range, which will make OTR operations less profitable even with the reduced cost of fuel. On the other hand, those electric rigs should shine in short haul and pickup/delivery operations.
It is not just OTR trucks.
I work for a major grocery chain. We own a lot of trucks. They roll 24/7. Drivers are scheduled around the clock. So even though these are generally short runs, refuel down time will slow down operations. This has a snowball effect in the warehouse which can get backed up when trucks are not available to move product out.

Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountryC CD/A 4X4 DRW

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/22 02:57pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Huntindog wrote:

I work for a major grocery chain. We own a lot of trucks. They roll 24/7. Drivers are scheduled around the clock. So even though these are generally short runs, refuel down time will slow down operations. This has a snowball effect in the warehouse which can get backed up when trucks are not available to move product out.
Is there diesel fuel at the warehouse?

stsmark

Northern CA

View Profile

Posted: 09/01/22 03:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And you believe them? Seriously? You really believe them?
No I don’t frankly for all the reasons you stated.

86 miles on 131 kw of power is .62 mi/kw btw.

* This post was last edited 09/01/22 04:11pm by stsmark *   View edit history

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 797  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tesla Semi truck unveil & test ride set for Oct 26th !
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2023 CWI, Inc. © 2023 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.