RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Generator questions!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator questions!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/17 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would skip the generator and get 200 to 400 watts solar.
I doubt you will need air April/May but if you do get some hookups.
Was rather warm last month at Glacier. We were seeing 90+ and plugged in. Locals were saying it was the most heat ever. But you will be there early.

If you get a generator you also need to get a new converter such as the PD9260-14.8
WFCO is a trickle charge at 13.6 volts unless you are one of the lucky few where it actually works in boost mode.

http://www.bestconverter.com/PD-9260C-148-60-Amp-RV-Converter

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/17 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After roaring and fuming, this power supply gets my vote and the only viable battery charger that will do whatever you want it to.

It is portable. Unplug it and run.

It has adjustable voltage. The ideal 14.8 volts for generator charging and it will MAINTAIN a preset 14.8 volts and YOU not some a nineteen cent integrated circuit decides when to end the charge rate.

Combined with a solid FIFTY AMP continuous output rating it will recharge batteries as fast or faster than so called Smart chargers costing twice as much,

Tell you what, you get this charger and when you unpack it I will walk you through the setup process step by step*. You will need to buy a cheap set of 10-gauge jumper cables as a connect to the battery umbilical.

You can unplug the unit when finished or install an inline cord switch. Or even a windup timer.

Need to equalize batteries? This is the perfect power unit.

*Not an idle promise.

Offered as gifts I would select this power supply 10 to 1 over any smart converter on the market for use as a battery charger - and it costs less.

http://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/RSP-750-15.shtml

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/17 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm 3 years on my Champion no issues what so ever. Original spark plug, change the oil every fall and drain the gas and run it dry for the winter.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Gulfcoast

Southeast

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/17 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just bought a generator after looking closely at the Honda, Predator and the Champion.

I went with the Champion 3100-watt with remote start from SuperGen in NY.

Reconditioned $699 with free shipping.

What a fine generator it is...

Ductape

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/17 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Buy PD9280 for a few more bucks. Cut two ends off some jumper cables and connect them to the PD. You now have a top notch 80 amp portable charger. When you get your new RV you can permanently install it.

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/17 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

After roaring and fuming, this power supply gets my vote and the only viable battery charger that will do whatever you want it to.
http://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/RSP-750-15.shtml

Whoa !

Mexico, I thought you were hooked on MegaWatt power supplies. Why the change of heart ?

Personally, I think a 50A power supply is overkill for someone with a dual 6V golf cart battery bank.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/17 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I can gather a furnace blower typically pulls about 7-10 amps, depending on size. I'm picking 8 amps without knowing the model of the furnace (RV is in IL right now and I am in TN.) So if the furnace runs say 8 hours out of 24 (very generous estimate), that would be 64 amp-hours.

Our other battery usage is very low---no big inverter for microwave or coffeepot or hairdryer. We run the water pump and LED lighting. We have a 12V outlet that we use with a 400W inverter to charge electronics, but that is often done in the tow vehicle while out and about. Very little or no TV use.

I'm going to estimate 80 amp-hours/day and I think that's generous based on our habits.

So we need a converter that will replace that 80 amp-hours in a reasonable amount of time, say 4 hours or less. That means a converter with a bulk charge mode of 20 amps or higher. So a 30 or 40 amp converter should serve us well.

We will likely be at an electric site at least once a week, for 24 hours or longer. So if we get the batteries up even close to 100% otherwise, during that time frame they should definitely get maxed out and be just fine.

Does my reasoning make sense? Any big flaws in my logic?

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/17 09:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

It sounds great and your numbers are reasonable. Even more, you will have a lot of fun. Now our "Experts" can explain that you need more equalization and the adjustability of a zippity doo da 1100xx charger with a bifold exchanger shunt. Not to mention six six volt batteries and a thousand dollar monitoring system.

Have fun your way.

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/17 09:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TomG2 wrote:

coolmom42 wrote:

It sounds great and your numbers are reasonable. Even more, you will have a lot of fun. Now our "Experts" can explain that you need more equalization and the adjustability of a zippity doo da 1100xx charger with a bifold exchanger shunt. Not to mention six six volt batteries and a thousand dollar monitoring system.

Have fun your way.

I do understand that it's important to get the batteries fully charged fairly often, and will take a long time on a basic converter. I will get some more info about the furnace usage and the converter model, and evaluate at that point.

RSD559

Central California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/21/17 10:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A couple of notes. The Predator is 3500/3100 watts, I believe. Which is about 500 watts more than the Honda. You can also get a 2 year warranty for it fairly cheaply. And you can buy 3 of them and be about the same price as the Honda. Note on the Honda, having owned an EU3000is, install an Easy Start or a hard start kit on the A/C in the trailer. My Honda wouldn't start my 13,600 A/C until I did.

2017 Highland Ridge Ultra Lite UT2704bh.Just right ++
Ford F-150 Ecoboost V6. Very happy.
Honda Ruckus scooter - Great fun.
Suzuki Burgman 400 scooter - Greater fun.
Champion 3100 Inverter Generator - (huge grin)!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator questions!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS