RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Generator questions!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator questions!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/17 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

After roaring and fuming, this power supply gets my vote and the only viable battery charger that will do whatever you want it to.

It is portable. Unplug it and run.

It has adjustable voltage. The ideal 14.8 volts for generator charging and it will MAINTAIN a preset 14.8 volts and YOU not some a nineteen cent integrated circuit decides when to end the charge rate.

Combined with a solid FIFTY AMP continuous output rating it will recharge batteries as fast or faster than so called Smart chargers costing twice as much,

Tell you what, you get this charger and when you unpack it I will walk you through the setup process step by step*. You will need to buy a cheap set of 10-gauge jumper cables as a connect to the battery umbilical.

You can unplug the unit when finished or install an inline cord switch. Or even a windup timer.

Need to equalize batteries? This is the perfect power unit.

*Not an idle promise.

Offered as gifts I would select this power supply 10 to 1 over any smart converter on the market for use as a battery charger - and it costs less.

http://www.trcelectronics.com/View/Mean-Well/RSP-750-15.shtml

David .... the price is almost right on for the power supply you gave that link to.

HOWEVER, as usual there appears to be a "gotcha": Where's the good old (digital or analog) ammeter and current adjust knob and good old (digital or analog) voltmeter and voltage adjust knob????

K.I.S.S. reigns supreme. I'm retired, but have plenty of other things to take up my time besides figuring out how to supply external control signals to that power supply in order to set it's voltage and current outputs. I read it's .pdf manual ... and couldn't see where any readout meters or control knobs were located on it's chassis.

* This post was edited 09/22/17 03:42pm by pnichols *

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca 324V Spirit

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/17 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the input folks. Right now I am leaning towards the Champion 3400 watt inverter instead of the Predator, mostly because of the included warranty and the established track record of the Champions.

Am going to find out the details of the converter and take it from there.

How difficult is it to change out the converter? How is the wiring connected to the converter?

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/17 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

How difficult is it to change out the converter? How is the wiring connected to the converter?
Five wires.

120v side is Hot, Neutral, Ground. Attach new same as you remove the old.

12v side is just Positive and Negative. Again connect same colors same as you remove.

Maybe a few screws to gain access removing the trim.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/17 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

coolmom42 wrote:

Five wires.

12v side is just Positive and Negative. Again connect same colors same as you remove.

Sounds do-able. Thanks!

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/17 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

coolmom42 wrote:

Five wires.

If it's a standalone (deck-mount) converter, there should also be a sixth bonding wire...but the AC connection is often a normal household plug, so it's three wires and a plug.

In any case, it's quite straightforward unless the replacement one is larger in some dimension than the old one or some other complication of that general sort comes up.

ctilsie242

Austin

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/17 12:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would highly recommend the Champion as well. Honda's parts and service is easy to find, but Champion's is not far behind. I'm probably going to bite the bullet eventually and buy the dual fuel, 3400 watt inverter model. I'm sure it may not last as long as a red/blue, but it will definitely have a quite usable service life barring something crazy.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/17 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ctilsie242 wrote:

I'm sure it may not last as long as a red/blue, but it will definitely have a quite usable service life barring something crazy.

You may be surprised. There are reports of Champion generators operating for thousands and thousands of hours in the rental business, where they actually keep track of such things. Not just, "My brother in law had a generator that must have had ten thousand hours on it."

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/17 01:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

K.I.S.S. reigns supreme. I'm retired, but have plenty of other things to take up my time besides figuring out how to supply external control signals to that power supply in order to set it's voltage and current outputs. I read it's .pdf manual ... and couldn't see where any readout meters or control knobs were located on it's chassis.

It has DEFAULT controls EXACTLY the same as any Meanwell or Megawatt. Exterior potentiometer. Using the OPTIONAL current, voltage and sense lead is exactly that, OPTIONAL. It's all discussed in the online nomenclature.

Mr. Wizard's greatly appreciated link to an INDUCTIVE panel ammeter would be a simple to add aid. No one who Boondocks should be without an accurate ammeter and voltmeter.

The last thing I expect to do when boondocking is sit on my --- watching television and controlling my environment with a remote. I have to force myself to actually arise out of a chair to perform chores. Toss the "campfire light and adjust flame" remote into a drawer and walk around - it's good for the heart.

The nice thing about manual (voltage limited) battery charging is the process is not a Gyro Gearloose lab experiment where a bit too long equals a mushroom cloud. Having a battery sit for a half hour after minimum amps is achieved isn't going to hurt the battery at a 14.8 volt charging limit. But who in the world starts a generator to recharge batteries forgets about it? The ergonomics is absurdly simple. If it took three hours the last time to recharge them from 50% what would make the "next time different if the same hotel parasitic draw was reasonably the same? Set an audio timer on a cell phone or any other type of timer. For especially stubborn cases rig up a dog shock collar with a timer.

Having actually done this and being with folks who charge batteries with a manual power supply I can say the process is absurdly simple and unobtrusive. The key is the generator. Who ignores s generator? Who will forget that it is running? Connecting a power supply to a pedestal is infinitely more important to insure automatic charging shutdown.

When pistons are going up and down, and money is flying out of my wallet for fuel and wear and tear, the last thing I need to do is waste my time listening to a generator run endlessly doing nothing. Adding 10 - 20% more ampere hours into the batteries in the same amount of time is important to me........especially on the way back from the gas station with a far lighter wallet. When I start any of my generators, they are going to work and not play games. And I am not going to use excess effort or personal energy in the process.

My batteries cost way too much to abuse. Personally, I use a Samsung cellphone's timer to remind me of ANY time important event taking place. The alarm even reminds me to take medicine on time.

Choosing to do stuff manually reminds me of my personal joke about whether to perform all the effort to prepare a meal or simply run down to the Golden Arches a McSlider. After all the syntho burger is a no brainer, eliminates hunger pangs, and well dying young from cardiac infarction is, well it is EASIER than doing stuff manually.

Charging with a power supply and generator pales in comparison to to actually HAVING TO COOK and wash dishes. How could I ever survive camping without a McSlider and push button dishwasher?

Greyhound RB

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/17 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd like to add a few points I think are worth noting. I have been using an 8 year old Yamaha inverter generator. It's 2800 watt continuous & 3500 watt surge. It can surge the extra 700 watts because it uses the starter battery to add extra power to inverter for surges. That will start-up my 13.5k ac every time.
Also my Yamaha & the Honda EU3000i (3.4 gallons) hold about
DOUBLE the fuel of the Preditor & Champion (1.6 gallons) I'm pretty sure. That makes a big difference to me.

Neither of the less expensive brands are as quiet. Also, an important distinction to me.

In the Detroit metro area I've talked to a very popular small engine fix-it place & they won't touch a Harbor Freight unit.

I'm glad every one has had good results with many different brands. I just wanted to bring up a few things that I don't remember reading in this thread. Good camping to all.

pnichols

Santa Cruz Mountains

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/17 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

David .... I agree that manual control of battery charging using just the right generator-charger combination can indeed be kindof simple, very good for the batteries, and thus K.I.S.S.-like .... if and only if the charger comes from the factory with meters and knobs to do the manual adjusting.

This is especially true with respect to our camping setup. I want to charge with our little 550 VA (650 watt) four-cycle ultra quiet gas sipping Honda portable genny max'd out during initial boost charging. Using a power supply of around the size in your link but with simple adjustment knobs and meters, I'd just K.I.S.S.-set the voltage first to 14.4-14.8 volts and later to 13.6 volts - while K.I.S.S.-setting/limiting the current as high as I could so as to just barely keep the little genny's current limiter from kicking in (probably at around 30-35 amps or so).

Doing the above would permit me to experience the shortest possible recharge time using our little generator so as to not have to buy a larger portable generator or fire up the big Onan.

Here's a typical easy to use adjustable 15V, 40A (40A from the backside terminals) power supply that would be perfect for use with small portable generators for manually regulated battery charging while you sit with a cool drink or two: https://www.amazon.com/TekPower-TP1540E-........justable-Switching-Digital/dp/B015QHVJP6

P.S. This particular line of adjustable power supplies is also available with higher maximum current ratings.

* This post was edited 09/23/17 05:14pm by pnichols *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Generator questions!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS