RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: A Primer on Moab

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
4runnerguy

Glenwood Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/17 02:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Logistics

Little hints for navigating around Moab

Visitors Center

The Moab Visitors Center at the corner of Center and Main in downtown Moab has all sorts of information. They also sell maps and guidebooks. The bathrooms there are open early and late. Definitely worth a stop if it’s your first (or 30th) time in Moab.

Dump stations

There’s a free dump station at the Maverick at south end of town. No potable water right at the dump station.

The Farm & City Feed and RV Supply has a dump station that is $5 as of this time.

If you’re camped at Kayenta CG at Dead Horse Point SP, there’s a free dump station as you’re leaving the CG. No potable water there either.

Of course many of the private CG’s in town also have dump facilities but many restrict usage to those in their CG.

Showers

For those without shower facilities in their rig or don’t want to deal with having enough water, one can find a shower at many of the RV parks in town. We have found that while many advertise showers, they won’t sell them when they are full. Other options include a couple of bike shops: Poison Spider and Moab Cyclery. Although we have a shower, every three or four days we’ll pop into the Moab Aquatic Center and shower, spending some time in the pool. It’s $7 for adults and $5 if you’re 55 and over. A family of up to 6 can get in for $20. A good way to cool off on a hot day.

Gas

Lots of gas stations but not all big rig friendly. Maverik on the north end of town is often busy and tough to maneuver a big rig around everybody but the one on the south end of town is much better. Phillips 66 is good, as is the Chevron, among others.

If you have a Kroger brands card (King Soopers, Ralphs, Smiths, Fred Meyer, etc.) it will work at the City Market pumps outside the grocery store along Main. BUT, these pumps are stuck in the corner of the parking lot and not at all big rig friendly.

Propane

Several businesses in town have propane exchanges of a form.

To refill your own tanks, we use Farm & City Feed and RV Supply. Decent prices and friendly service.

Grocery stores

As noted above, City Market is part of the Kroger store network, so your discount card works there. Village Market, further south just past the Moab Brewery, is a local store with good quality produce and meat departments.

Restaurants

I can’t begin to recommend specific restaurants as there are so many in town. Suffice it to say that on weekends they are busy. If you go to a restaurant on a Saturday night and there isn’t a waiting line at 6:00 p.m., I’d beat a hasty retreat. Waits of 30 minutes to an hour at that time of day aren’t uncommon.

Drinking Water

Update: We noticed that there's a water spigot for RV's at the Kellerstrass Station just north of Denny's on US 191 and 500 North. It's at the back of the pumps and is easy to maneuver a big rig in there.

Otherwise, tt's not easy to find places to fill your tanks out there in the desert. I generally take one or two five gallon water jugs and fill them at Arches NP at the entrance station. There are a couple of outdoor spigots right by the parking lot. One can also fill water in town at Gearheads near City Market. Maybe buy something there if you're using their water very much.

If you're just filling water bottles, try Lions Park where UT 128 and US 191 intersect. There's one of those water fountains with a dispenser to fill water bottles with filtered water. Not bad tasting compared to normal Moab tap water. There are also fountains across the street at the parking lot. In both places, they do shut the outdoor water off when freezing weather sets in.

* This post was last edited 11/27/17 10:52am by 4runnerguy *   View edit history

Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

reppoc12

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/10/17 02:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! This is a great resource thank you for taking the time to document it. I hope we can make it out there soon.

Darryl&Rita

Grande Prairie, Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/17 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably the best summary of Moab I've ever seen. There's a Tourism board missing out on your knowledge.

***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Busskipper

Grasonville,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/17 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Ken,

I've already sent to two people I've been talking with - Great - If we could only get you a Camera :-)

Look this over - A camera guy to work with - you two are going where others only Dream,

Thanks again,

Bill

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/17 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks so much for posting this! The Utah parks are on my bucket list!

Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/17 04:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

be sure to see Mesa arch.
bumpy

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 10/10/17 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks, Ken! Very timely, as were headed to Moab in just a couple of weeks! No camping this trip, we only have a week. Thanks for all the hints, I've already bookmarked this thread.

mt1729

Helena, MT. summer, Wellton, AZ winter

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 01:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Been to Moab many times. I love the area. Good job of critiquing.

Moose

tuna fisher

joshua tree ,ca.

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 06:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well done, thanks for the time to do this, great refrence for new folks heading to Moab.

2001 GMC DM, 1995 Lance Lite, @005 Eclipse Toyhauler, Toy's!">

BarryG20

Castle Rock, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/17 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fantastic job 4 runner. I as well have been going out there since the sixties. Don't go nearly as often as we used to gets so dang busy out there any more. Used to be just a sleepy little town. Seems some time in the mid nineties it really took off tourism wise. Even up until the early 90's The Needles District visitor center was a single trailer in a dirt parking lot with about 4 parking spots. You could hike all day or wheel and not see anyone else in there. Arches got all the attention. And as you mentioned they closed the river corridor camping for awhile. I was talking to one of the guys (well now I cant remember which agency it was) at the time about the closure and he told me it was just as you stated about overuse but the biggest issue was the visitors just plain pooped it out it just became to unsanitary to camp in the existing areas so as you know they built/designated camp areas with toilets.
The only thing missing in your fantastic write up was Canyon Rims Rec area. Not that there is much for people with travel trailers, motor homes etc in there but there are a few CG areas in there that are great for TCs or small trailers and certainly tents. Wind whistle campground I think is the only established CG in there but a fair amount of boondocking in there just not so much for trailers due to the access of those areas. A couple really good viewpoints overlooking the Canyonlands though you do have to drive quite a few miles to get to them.

2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.