RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Single AGM or 2 GC2???????

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Single AGM or 2 GC2???????

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
HTElectrical

Las Vegas

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 03:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought I would get a couple opinions on which way I should go for my Battery replacement strategy this time.
A little background:
I just replaced my converter with a Progressive Dynamics Inteli-Power Converter 9200-14.8 Volt Deck Mount.
I had a pair of Costco GC2 Battts that were put into service on 2/2013, but were abused by my crappy WFCO converter. When I boondock, I always run my Honda 2000 (with 5 gal. external tank) basically 24/7 while I'm at the Dunes, and if not out in the sand I have power available at my covered parking. Trailer is always in the higher temps of west coast (Las Vegas, Desert)
Just recently one of my GC2s developed a shorted cell, so I need to either replace those with new 6V, or possibly with a single 12v AGM. Since I never really run my inverter or 12v for any length of time without plugging in what would be the the most economical, trouble free, dependable way to go?

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!

Costco GC2 batts are $86.00ea so a pair would be about $187.00.

2007 Duramax, Cognito 7"-9" Lift,

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 04:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

• High ambient temperature
  • 14.8 vdc aborbsion limit
  • No temperature compensation
  • Like baking a cake at 520F
  • Death to aborbed glass mat
  • Slow death by "a thousand cuts" for the flooded batteries. The only battery that could survive (not prosper) in that environment is a calcium/calcium battery which makes it totally unsuitable for cycling
  • I suggest more research in the area regarding correct voltages for different temperatures
  • And this is anything but a nit-picking comment.

Crabbypatty

Long Island, New York

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 04:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need a "Charge Wizard" to plug into your Intelipower converter to cycle the charging currents properly so you wont boil your batteries like you are doing. You get what you pay for but I bought two Trojans t-125's 6 volt gc batts. By never letting them discharge below 50% I sold my TT with them them still going strong now 12 years old. My new to me TT 3 years with us, now has the same ones again. Yes they are pricey but look at the length of service. I wouldn't buy the Interstates as they would have been replaced already. We dry camp 50% or greater percent of the time. If your always on the generator I would also get an automatic water system for the cells. Trimetric sells a meter sc-2030 that montiors batt condition and has a temp sensor option. Unless your going to keep replacing batteries, you might want to invest in your power the way I did and not worry about it. This works for us.

John, Lisa & Tara">">">
2015 F250 4x4 Platinum, 6.2L 6 spd 3.73 gears, Reese 12klb w/dual cam, Prodigy, Sunny Brook Sunset Creek 298 BH, Trojan 125's, 448 watts Solar Morning Star 45, Honda EU3000, Dish TV, Xantrax Pure Sine 2000, Wilson Cellular Ant/Amp

HTElectrical

Las Vegas

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 04:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

• High ambient temperature
  • 14.8 vdc aborbsion limit
  • No temperature compensation
  • Like baking a cake at 520F
  • Death to aborbed glass mat
  • Slow death by "a thousand cuts" for the flooded batteries. The only battery that could survive (not prosper) in that environment is a calcium/calcium battery which makes it totally unsuitable for cycling
  • I suggest more research in the area regarding correct voltages for different temperatures
  • And this is anything but a nit-picking comment.

I know I am abusing what ever battery/s I am going to use, but what bat will tolerate my abusing set-up the best for the $$$$$$.

Probably 2 Costco GC2 batts again. Correct???

I have a charge wizard, but since I only slightly discharge them, the only reason to use the Wiz, is to boil of the Sulfation that I cause.

red31

Bryan

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

is a single 12v flooded out of the running? about 1/2 the price of 2xGC2.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The charge wizard is built in to every 9200 series converter, so you don't want it.
You may want the charge pendant if you want to control the stages of charging.
Yes, go w/ the cosco 6 volts, you will not have any problem. The float voltage of 13.3 may be a little high in severely hot temps, and may shorten over all batt life a little, but over all you will be fine.

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KingDome/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

Sam Spade

North Central Florida

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HTElectrical wrote:

Probably 2 Costco GC2 batts again. Correct???

I have a charge wizard, but since I only slightly discharge them, the only reason to use the Wiz, is to boil of the Sulfation that I cause.

Despite the quoted opinion, I think AGMs are always a better choice unless your budget is REALLY tight.

Given the usage pattern your describe, one large 12 V "deep cycle" AGM probably can be had for about the same price as replacing the two that you presently have.
No need to add water, virtually no sulphation and no corrosive gasses escaping to corrode things nearby.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You don't run the battery bank down much, so you don't need a proper "deep cycle" battery. A standard 12v Marine/RV is good for your style. I am unclear how many you need to run things when the gen is not on. (if it is ever off!!! [emoticon] )

In that heat you can add water to the flooded batt(s) as long as they are not the "sealed" type. You want caps you can remove.

I think an AGM would be unsuitable (sealed and subject to thermal run-away?) but don't know. Does the army use them in their tanks in the desert? I don't know.

2003 Chev 2500HD Gas, 2003 Komfort 26FS 5er,
1981 Frontier 11ft Truck Camper
See Profile for Equipment Lists

Tom_M

New Hope, MN

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you are plugged in 24/7 there is no need for a large battery. A single small RV/Marine battery would suffice.

Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
Towing 2013 Smart Car

Dusty R

Charlotte Michigan 48813

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

red31 wrote:

is a single 12v flooded out of the running? about 1/2 the price of 2xGC2.

It appears that you are not running on battery very much you don't need much storage. So why have 2 batteries?

Dusty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Single AGM or 2 GC2???????
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS