RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: MACARATOR OPINIONS?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> MACARATOR OPINIONS?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 11:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As previously posted where I live finding dump stations is not easy. So I am looking at "macarators" that chew up solids and pump them through a garden hose to your home sewer clean out. I would like to hear from anyone who uses one. Is it reliable? Does it clog? How far can I expect to pump? Any thoughts?

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

bdpreece

Woodburn Oregon / Yuma Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/17 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My coach came stock with one. I only use it when the distance to the sewer is too far away for me to use my slinky, It seems to work fine but takes too long for normal dumping at a dump station as far as I am concerned. I have have already had to replace the impeller in mine once not a fun job.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

campinghut

Carstairs Alberta

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/17 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a flow jet macerator pump to do the same thing as you are talking about. I have been using it for 10 years and it has been great. I have replaced the impeller twice in all those years. I use 3/4 hose from the macerator to the plumbing and 50" would be easy not sure about any longer as that is all I have to go.

Tim And Bev
2013 Cedar Creek 34RLSA 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, and 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2017 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015 all Ford F350's)

2oldman

Las Vegas

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 11:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's spelled macerator, and I've used one a few times. They draw a lot of power so I clip mine directly to a garden battery.

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/17 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used one for years at our old house to pump out at home vs stopping on the way home from tailgating.

Pumped uphill about 80' away.

They WILL jam if someone puts something other than tp in the toilet.
Not pleasant.

The impeller does wear out )vanes break off) so it needs taken apart, hair cleaned off inspect/replace impeller every few years.

It is also slower than the 3" and requires more rinsing as the tank drains slower.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/17 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use one. My clean out is about 38ft from the clipper and using the slinkies was always a pain as I either had just too short to reach or too much excess. I use the Flo-jet portable version. I hook it up to the RV battery (while plugged into shore power) with jumper cables. I have a 50ft 3/4" hose on a reel and only unreel what I need. The pump works great. For me, it doesn't take any longer because I don't have to "massage" the waste through 40+ft of slinky hose (having to pick it up along the way so the waste continues to drain instead of coming to a standstill mid-slinky).

My waste tanks are each 20gallons. It takes about 10 minutes total to dump.

I wouldn't go back to a slinky for anything.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

they are head and shoulders above a standard stinky slinky. much cleaner, easy to use, no slinky to have to rinse and have drip on your shoes and the ground. if you limit them to the proper materials clogging should be at a minimum. put a standard tub drain screen in tub and you won't have hair clogging them. get one with a grey water bypass and any show debris won't clog it up.
I switched from stinky slinky, to sewer solution, to macerator pump. much easier to store a hose vs a slinky.
bumpy

rv2go

Fulltime 14 yrs (Knoxville, TN).or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using this for years. I pump 75' thru a 3/4" hose. Never a problem.Macerator-pump

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 12:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for your input. Wanted to see what your thoughts were before I spent the cash

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 01:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When macerator is high-tech pump, it is expensive on the long run and you have to be familiar how to take it apart and replace wear out parts.
Check Sewer Solution, what is very good alternative without the bad side of macerator.
The only aspect SS looses to macerator is need for water and lift, but still with good water pressure it will lift several inches.
Even on campgrounds I rather use SS than 3" stinky.
Shower water drains immediately when on last day of stay I hook up the water and flush black tank.
Way more higenic.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> MACARATOR OPINIONS?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS