RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: MACARATOR OPINIONS?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> MACARATOR OPINIONS?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
bob_nestor

murphy

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 01:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

Thanks for your input. Wanted to see what your thoughts were before I spent the cash

These things typically run about $300-$400. I've had the built-in one on my previous RV and didn't like some of the limitations - couldn't run a grey water bypass or dump with a slinky. My current RV doesn't have one built-in, but I had enough spare parts to build a portable that I used to dump at home thru a 3/4" hose and it has a grey water bypass. It doesn't interfere with my use of the old slinky dump either.

Anyway, while engineering it I put together a parts list and instructions on how to assemble one and while doing this I found a model of macerator pump that was pretty inexpensive. You can build a portable 12v macerator dump pump like mine for less than $100 that works with the 3/4" garden hose. If you want one a bit fancier that uses a flexible 1" hose the overall cost is about $200.

My design will work on any RV that has the standard 3" bayonet dump and access to 12v. You could also just run longer wires to reach the coach or chassis battery and use a temporary connection like clips to the battery posts to power it.

If anyone would like my parts list and build directions along with suggestions of where to get the parts, just drop me an e-mail and I'll send them to you.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/17 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

When macerator is high-tech pump, it is expensive on the long run and you have to be familiar how to take it apart and replace wear out parts.
Check Sewer Solution, what is very good alternative without the bad side of macerator.
The only aspect SS looses to macerator is need for water and lift, but still with good water pressure it will lift several inches.
Even on campgrounds I rather use SS than 3" stinky.
Shower water drains immediately when on last day of stay I hook up the water and flush black tank.
Way more higenic.

I looked at the SS, but found I would have the same issue as I did with the slinky - it wouldn't push everything through the line. If you have a clean out close to the RV and no/few elevation or turns, then it's a good option.

If you have elevation and/or turns to reach the clean out, then the macerator is much better suited.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 01:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oasisbob wrote:

So I am looking at "macarators" that chew up solids and pump them through a garden hose to your home sewer clean out. I would like to hear from anyone who uses one. Is it reliable? Does it clog? How far can I expect to pump? Any thoughts?

I've had my FloJet Waste Macerator since 2006, always service my tanks at home, never line up at a dump station, and wouldn't ever consider using a stinky slinky instead. I pump 50' through 3/4" hose, no issues whatsoever. I bought a rebuild kit for it 2 yrs ago to replace the stainless steel impeller, otherwise no problems at all. It will only "clog" if you force something through it that shouldn't be there in the first place, for "normal" black tank content it works fine. You can also obviously use it to off load grey water while camping but I find it just as easy to gravity drain the grey. Pics are in my gallery.

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Chevy Silverado CC 5.3L 4x4

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I looked at the SS, but found I would have the same issue as I did with the slinky - it wouldn't push everything through the line. If you have a clean out close to the RV and no/few elevation or turns, then it's a good option.

If you have elevation and/or turns to reach the clean out, then the macerator is much better suited.

Everything has its limitation.
I own my SS for about 15 years. Used it on my rental for semi-permanent use with over 100' of 3/4 plastic pipes extension. Never had a problem.
Than at my California house I had 150 psi city pressure and SS could do really amazing things.
I had macerator pump left from spare from my conversion, but sold it as I did not need high lift and potential for STINKY problems is just too big.
You can read lot of horror stories about macerator pumps at boat forums.

fpresto

Maryland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/17 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Valterra Sewer Solution that Kayteg 1 likes. It sits on a shelf in my garage since I replaced it with the FloJet Macerator. The SS uses a ton of water, was not any faster and will only push up a few inches of rise. I am much happier with the FloJet.

USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

Clay L

Palisade CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/17 02:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Flojet for dumping at home in the sewer clean out. Works fine but if you follow the instructions it is a pain to use and I only use it when a slinky hose is too short. They say to fill the gray and black tanks at least once with fresh water and pump them out to remove everything. They say this is necessary since you don't get the big rush like you do when dumping through a 3 inch hose.

The following is from the Flojet manual:
1. Remove end cap from drain pipe.
2. Install portable waste pump on drain in any
convenient position, twisting clockwise to lock.
Be sure that o-ring is on pump adapter prior to
installing unit.
3. Install waste/garden hose on discharge port
adapter.
4. Install rinse water hose to on-off valve.
5. Open black water valve, turn on pump.
6. Turn off pump and open gray water valve. Let gray
water backflush black water tank. Turn on pump.
7. Turn off pump, open rinsing valve and back fill
tanks for rinsing. Turn on pump. Turn off rinse
water. Drain tanks.
8. Close both drain valves, turn on rinse water (40 PSI
max.) and pump. Rinse pump and discharge hose.
9. Turn off water and pump, disconnect hose and
pump. Store until next use.
10. Replace end cap on drain pipe.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/17 02:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Everything has its limitation.
I own my SS for about 15 years. Used it on my rental for semi-permanent use with over 100' of 3/4 plastic pipes extension. Never had a problem.
Than at my California house I had 150 psi city pressure and SS could do really amazing things.
I had macerator pump left from spare from my conversion, but sold it as I did not need high lift and potential for STINKY problems is just too big.
You can read lot of horror stories about macerator pumps at boat forums.

I agree each has its limitations and positives. When I made my decision, it really helped to understand why others chose one over the other. It made figuring out which was best for my situation much easier.

Either way, I will never go back to a stinky slinky.

mbopp

Henrietta, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/11/17 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had a Flojet for a few years and am happy with it. The only issue is that it doesn't like to be run dry.

2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2012 F-150 XLT Ecoboost ("EcoBeast") supercab
Just DW & me......

ktmrfs

Portland, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

flow jet is what I have, used it for about 5 years, probably 30 times per year since I dump at home and need to go up a few feet to the sewer cleanout. So far very reliable.

The downside it is takes longer than using the slinky to dump and since stuff moves slower, flushing the black tank is IMHO a necessity.

Never had it clog or stall.

My advice is they are very good when you need to go uphill or a long way. but if you can reach with the standard slinky going flat or downhill, the slinky is a quicker solution.

I NEVER use it at a public dump station, or when hooked to sewer at a campground no need to.

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/11/17 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I agree each has its limitations and positives. When I made my decision, it really helped to understand why others chose one over the other. It made figuring out which was best for my situation much easier.

Either way, I will never go back to a stinky slinky.

Unfortunately at dump station stinky is the only valid option.
This forum members always hesitate to grab piece of paper and pencil to make quick comparison.
so main points
macerator needs ton of 12V power, SS needs few gallons of water.
Unless you have bypass, macerator will snail gray water, while SS will drain gray water without turning on the jet.
Macerator cost about $300 and has wearable parts.
SS cost $100 (you can build your own with $30 head) and has no wearables.
Macerator has higher lift, so if you need to go over a foot high, you have no SS option.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> MACARATOR OPINIONS?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS