RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: MACARATOR OPINIONS?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> MACARATOR OPINIONS?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I went with a FloJet portable.. I have used it several times but not as often as I thought I would.. My observations.

THe 3" "Stinky Slinky" Dumps very fast.. First. .IT IS FAST, I don;t have to spend 10 minutes dumping tanks, just a few.

2nd. Some folks talk about the "Woosh" factor (Claim it flushes semi-solids that have not yet broken down out the drain when using the 3") I'm not convinced of that.

now the macerator

The one and only comnplaint (And the solution) is that if it's not used often adn I mean often it develops "Sticktion" that is the impeller blades stick to the pump housing and when you turn it on POP goes the fuse.

Solution .. On the non-pump end of the motor is a slotted shaft.. Use a quarter or any flat tool to turn it one rotation, this cures the problem 100%

When I need it.. I'm very glad I have it.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Ron3rd wrote:

X2 on Sewer Solution, basically a water powered macerator. I dump at home through a clean out about 60 ft away through a 3/4" hose.

But useless for those of us who may want to also use the macerator while camping where no water under pressure is available to power a Sewer Solution, a problem not shared by the 12 vdc powered FloJet Waste Macerator. [emoticon]

Every RV (maybe beside pop-up campers) do have water pump delivering 60psi and lot of them are equipped with outside shower already.
All it takes is some hose connection.
Than not every RV has huge battery bank to run macerator.
I already made comparison chart.
Just use what you feel more comfortable with.
Sure the $400 permanently mounted pump is convenient, but then not too many RV have compartment for it.

2oldman

Las Vegas

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

I do have to admit that we seldom put solids in the stool and that prevents lots of problems.
Solids is the tank don't stay solid very long, unless you're really stingy with the water.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

Jayco-noslide wrote:

I do have to admit that we seldom put solids in the stool and that prevents lots of problems.
Solids is the tank don't stay solid very long.

Condoms do.
They are one of the biggest problem in city sewer treatment plants.
Called "silver fish" by the workers.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Ewwwwwwwwwwwwww.............!"

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 10:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

The one and only comnplaint (And the solution) is that if it's not used often adn I mean often it develops "Sticktion" that is the impeller blades stick to the pump housing and when you turn it on POP goes the fuse.

Solution .. On the non-pump end of the motor is a slotted shaft.. Use a quarter or any flat tool to turn it one rotation, this cures the problem 100%

When I need it.. I'm very glad I have it.
I have had that problem three or four times. Unfortunately, two times I turned the motor the wrong direction and broke the impeller each time. I learned that after using the pump, a half of teaspoon of any oil in the macerator prevents the impeller from sticking. I also painted a large white arrow showing the direction of rotation.

I have had my macerator since about 2005. I prefer not to wait in lines, prefer not to dump in the wind rain, or nasty facilities. The Macerator allows me to dump at Dump Stations or when I get home. I have a Stinky Slinky but seldom use it.

My Flojet 18555-000A, Portable RV Waste Pum........lt DC, Macerator, Includes Carrying CaseMacerator now cost about $210.

[image]

I also use a Camco 39572 5" Clear Sewer Hose Adapter. The adapter allows me to see that the tank valves are empty, and as you can see in the photo doubles as a Marguerita making machine.

[image]

I have a 12 volt connector near my dump valves.

I have two 25 foot black hoses in my TC and a 50 foot black hose at home by my clean out. I can sit in a chair in my garage out of foul weather and dump my tanks, or simply wait until the mood strikes me.

Wayne

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/17 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For at a dump site with a direct downward drop, you can't get faster than a stinky slinky and with just one hose for the needed length, issues are far between. I keep one in my clipper just in case.

However, I don't stay at FHU sites and few of the campgrounds I visit have dump stations. So, I usually dump at home. In this case, the macerator beats the slinky. No leaking at hose connections; no dealing with imperfect lengths, turns, or rises in elevation.

Between the SS and the macerator, it's this:

SS - needs a good amount of water and water pressure
Macerator - needs a good pull of power

For me, at home, the power is more convenient than the water/pressure.

I have the portable flojet - it's currently $207 on Amazon. The Valterra SS is $75. Not a huge difference in price. When not in use, the hose is on the reel (dedicated hose for this purpose) and the macerator is in its box (as shown in Reddog's photo). No issues with space concerns.

Neither is a bad choice and for those who don't like stinky slinkies or have a setup that makes them worthless or near so, then pick the macerator or the SS that fits your needs/preference best. It's not a competition with only one right answer.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

now the macerator

Which is detailed in the owner's manual. [emoticon]

Imagine that, reading the owner's manual. [emoticon]

Dtank

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Jayco-noslide wrote:

My son has one and he'll tell you it's just great but, for the life of me, I can't figure out why I need this extra piece of equipment to haul, take up space and mess with dumping. I pull up to the dump, hook up the hose, pull the valves and it whooshes out in about 1 minute.

Simple - some of us have no interest in wasting our time lining up at a dump station ... ever. [emoticon]

"Some"...- (or "a few")....[emoticon]

Or none ..... 'cause -

Some (or a few) of "us" don't waste our time when there's a line .... ever.

Only difficult if you want it to be..[emoticon]

2oldman

Las Vegas

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

..Condoms do.They are one of the biggest problem in city sewer treatment plants.Called "silver fish" by the workers.
Somehow I don't think that is a problem for the folks on this board. Maybe when their grandchildren visit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> MACARATOR OPINIONS?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS