|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Winterizing - Extreme cold winters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
swimmer_spe

Sudbury, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vermilye wrote:

I use air only for the water lines, and antifreeze for the drains. One point - use an oilless compressor or a good oil filter - you don't want oil in the water lines. I blow out the lines at 40PSI one tap at a time, working from the first to last tap in the line. Let it sit for an hour or two, then do it again. Don't forget the toilet & outside shower. Be sure to run the water pump dry, and, of course, drain the water heater. A good time to check/replace the anode.

While this worked for the first 3 years with -10°F winters, I got a much better idea starting 3 years ago - head for Quartzsite, AZ, and forget about winterizing! I'm on my way now...

-10F? That is almost balmy.

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/17 06:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

swimmer_spe wrote:

FLY 4 FUN wrote:

I dont understand why you would want to blow out the lines with air then pull antifreeze into the system? When you correctly pump antifreeze into the rig and open one tap at a time until pink comes out you have ensured water is GONE from the lines! Finish up by ensuring city water valve is depressed once pump is off and your good to go. Seems like an extra step vs just using antifreeze.

That's what they said. They don't blow the lines. They just drain the lines through the low spot drains. They then pump the pink antifreeze via the pump.

Read the post directly above Fly 4 Fun’s post, specifically # 3.

jplante4

Cape Cod

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/17 06:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

And why leave the antifreeze in? Pump it through and blow it out.
Belt and suspenders for the 'deep freeze' [emoticon]

(with a grain of salt from warm year 'round so cal)

This is what I do. Be aware that if you have a washer dryer and/or a residential fridge with an ice maker, air alone will not work.

Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed

lordnorth

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/17 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm trying to be able to clear my lines easily and repeatedly.

I want to use the RV to go skiing on weekends, but I don't want to have to use all of the Anti-Freeze each time, and then run all of the AF out of the system before it is usable.

Everyone keeps talking about pressure, but no one seems talk about volume. I have a pool air line blower that has great volume... but next to no pressure. And I have a portable air compressor for the car that can eventually put 100lbs of pressure in the tires... but it might take half an hour to do it.

I need a combination of Pressure AND Volume, don't I?

What kind of compressors do you guys use? Do you use a regulator (built in/add on)? Do you just let it run with the faucet open, or do you close it... build up some pressure... then POP it open to blow any water out?

I used my pool blower and got good solid streams of water out... but now there is air coming out of the faucet, but it is still sort of gurgling down inside.

Help/thoughts are greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks!
-Chris

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/17 09:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a $100 ten gallon tank compressor from Tractor Supply, though virtually identical models are available from everywhere. I set the regulator to around 40 psi. When a tap is open, it almost certainly isn't maintaining the 40 psi because it runs more or less continually.

Did you try going around to all the taps etc. (including toilet, low point drains, etc.) in succession a couple times? Maybe the water you hear gurgling will be expelled from some other place. Hearing it gurgle does suggest that there's sufficient water in a low spot to block the line fully, which is more than I'd care to have freeze there.

It can take a little while to get every last minute droplet out of the showerheads on my motorhome.

Earl E

Green Valley, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/17 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used to live in an area where temps got down to -20 and this long before I had ever heard of blowing out the lines. I just drained everything as much as I could and then used antifreeze as directions specified and the only problem I ever had was when I forgot to flush the toilet and the toilet valve froze and broke. My error. So blow the lines out or not. As long as use antifreeze you will be fine.

2007 Northwoods Arctic Fox 32 5S Fifth Wheel used for fulltiming for several years--SOLD
2014 Sunnybrook 26rl to poke around the smaller parks in the great Southwest
2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Diesel
Prodigy brake control

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/17 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pink antifreeze works well in northern Alberta (same latitude as Atawapiskat on James Bay in Ontario). We've had a week of -20 C in October but it's been around -11 this past week.

I think the idea of blowing the water out is to evaporate the water in low spots so high volume and virtually zero pressure with the taps wide open. High pressure (taps closed) would accomplish nothing.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

lordnorth

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/17 05:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies to my questions... except that maybe you guys missed the part where I specifically said that I DIDN'T want to use anti-freeze because I want to use it on weekends and don't want to add and remove anti-freeze from the system 8 times in two months.

I know anti-freeze works. I have used it for the past three years. I'm looking for an alternative.

I might have to give the compressor a try. Everyone talks about pressure, bot not necessarily volume. How much volume do I need to push through to make it work...?

I have a little 12 volt tire inflator that goes to 120psi... but I'm sure doesn't have the volume to make a difference.

-Chris

JaxDad

Greater Toronto Area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/17 06:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

lordnorth wrote:

I might have to give the compressor a try. Everyone talks about pressure, bot not necessarily volume. How much volume do I need to push through to make it work...?

I have a little 12 volt tire inflator that goes to 120psi... but I'm sure doesn't have the volume to make a difference.

-Chris

You need BOTH pressure and volume of air. One without the other is useless.

The pressure is what does the work of moving the water, the volume is what keeps it moving.

Every time I see some one talking about blowing out lines with some little bargain store compressor with a tiny tank I think ‘man they are going to be lucky if they don’t have a major issue after that!’.

lordnorth

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/17 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hear you, and that's why I'm not sure if what I did worked. It had enough pressure to get out a big slug of water, and it kept blowing...but it still would gurgle from time to time.

Just so you know what blower I'm talking about...this is a professional grade blower used to blow out pool lines and install liners. But it is just that..a blower, not a compressor.

https://www.amazon.com/Cyclone-Vacuum-Blower-3-HP/dp/B004BNR5DC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Winterizing - Extreme cold winters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS