|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How long will this battery inverter run

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
tealboy

orlando, fl

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry for all the questions, lots to learn. Any idea how long I can comfortably and safely run a 700 watt inverter and one deep cycle battery from advanced auto, wet cell with 59 amp hour rating if I am running a fan on high at 75-100 watts and a 32 inch tv at 60-70 watts in 85 degree temps outside?

Looking to get 6 hours and if this will work, won't bring the Honda 2000 to the tailgate due to wet, risk of theft and for packing space considerations.

RJsfishin

Winston Or.

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You be lucky to get 2 - 3 hrs

Rich

'01 31' Rexall Vision, Generac 5.5k, 1000 watt Honda, PD 9245 conv, 300 watts Solar, 150 watt inv, 2 Cos 6v batts, ammeters, led voltmeters all over the place, KingDome/sat, 2 Oly Cat heaters, and towing a 2012 Liberty, Lowe bass boat, or a Kawi Mule.

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wet cell battery only rated at 59 amp hours? Even a group 23 is mnore than that

The answer is not long. That battery is likely a MARINE/deep cycle and that means you can only use about 15 amp hours.. Now a 700 watt inverter needs about 3 of those batteries to be happy.

At FULL LOAD it will draw 75-90 amps. YOur battery will last about 10 minutes.

At light load it might draw as little as 1-5 amps, and your battgery could last 10 hours.. but Trust me you need MORE battery..

Minimum would be a pair of GC-2 or one 4D

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/17 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably 2 hrs and you will be at 50% dead.

dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

Probably 2 hrs and you will be at 50% dead.

and you don't want to go any lower than 50 percent because you will start ruining your battery

2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
50 gal aux tank
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
Renogy 200 Watt solar

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tealboy wrote:

Sorry for all the questions, lots to learn. Any idea how long I can comfortably and safely run a 700 watt inverter and one deep cycle battery from advanced auto, wet cell with 59 amp hour rating if I am running a fan on high at 75-100 watts and a 32 inch tv at 60-70 watts in 85 degree temps outside?

Looking to get 6 hours and if this will work, won't bring the Honda 2000 to the tailgate due to wet, risk of theft and for packing space considerations.

The DC amps draw is with the divide by 10 rule for the watts, so 170 watts is 17 amps. The thing that will shut down the inverter first is when the voltage it "sees" from the battery gets down to the inverter's low voltage shut off--usually 10.5 volts (but it will sound its alarm before that at 11 volts)

That is to protect the battery from getting too low. As soon as the inverter shuts down the amps stop and the voltage goes back up to more like 12.x

The key to keeping the inverter from shutting down is to have a bigger battery and short fat wires from the battery to the inverter.

Sorry, I cannot even guess how your set-up would work with that small of a battery. It might hit the inverter's low voltage shut off right away. It won't take very long to shut down if it will run.

You can do it, but will need more of a battery. Also, once it does run the battery down, you need a way to recharge the battery, and you won't have the generator to run your charger.

1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford 350 7.5 Gas

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Assuming 120 watts that's 10 amps so 3 hours max before you get to 50% battery which is as low as you want to draw it down. Lock the generator to your SUV and then you will not have to worry.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
Where am I?
How I spend the winter.

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 10:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Let's call it 150w total, might be less or more
That's about 13 amps battery draw starting and 14smps or more as battery voltage drops
About 2.1 hours until the battery reaches the 50% level approx 12.0 volts
And approx 3 hours the inverter will alarm and maybe shut down

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Security. Go online and look for 1/8" or 3/16" stainless steel cable but not just any cable. A special grade is called for...

316 stainless steel.

You'll get a straight length. Take it to a welding shop and get loops put in both ends or get four u-clamp cable clamps (also stainless steel).

Make your loops, apply the clamps, tighten the snot out of the clamp nuts.

Then take a chisel and destroy the clamp threads where they exit the nuts.

This really slows down a thief. But a thief wielding a two hundred dollar cordless angle grinder is a threat. As is a thief wielding a firearm. Well you get the picture. Not even a hundred dollar pair of USA Rigid brand bolt cutters can cut through 316 stainless cable.

Fun story time
We have "mice" down here. Petty thieves. At 3:00 AM they look for an unlocked door, sneak in, grab something of value then disappear.

I had a fence charger that I have subsequently forwarded on to Michoacan. I connected it to the back door knob after 10 PM. One night I was awakened by a scream and a bump against the door. I love it. Now I am holed up in a fortress with two metal door (and get this) razor wire stop the nine foot exterior block wall.

2oldman

otr

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/17 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a little bit of effort you can figure out amps given watts.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How long will this battery inverter run
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS