|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How long will this battery inverter run

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/12/17 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi marcsbigfoot,

I owned a 700 watt motormaster inverter.

I looked up Advance auto to see what they have......didnt see a 700 inverter, but just a power box inverter combo battery inverter jump box, by Canadian tire.

* This post was edited 10/12/17 09:40pm by marcsbigfoot20b27 *

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/17 12:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Single 59 AH battery for offgrid camping? Man, where did you even find it that small? [emoticon]

Unless you want to run a generator all day long, - get at least a pair of 100AH 12V batteries (or a pair of 225AH 6V batts, same thing). Get a 12V fan like freestanding FanTastic. Get more efficient TV (should be under 40W, these days).

tealboy

orlando, fl

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/17 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As always, lots of great help from many. You were right, the amp hour rating I stated was wrong, it is 79 not 59.

It also sounds like when it comes to inverters, bigger is not necessarily better when the job is small. I have a small 140/200 peak watt that is capable of running the tv and fan, I tested it and seems to work perfectly fine and based on the above, sounds like going smaller is more efficient?

Re the 700 watt, it is owned by a buddy at work. I don't know the brand. The battery is a wet cell from advanced auto.

* This post was edited 10/13/17 06:09am by tealboy *

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/17 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Guess? 15 amps x 6 hours = 75 amp hours. So you need 150 amp hours minimum. So 3 batteries should be enough. I throw in one more for good measure and unknown conditions.

Or bring the Honda.

Yes, but people seem to be assuming the battery will run down to 50% before the inverter shuts down, when I am wondering if the inverter will shut down right off because the inverter-battery wiring is not good enough. Or it might shut down real soon after it does run for a short time.

I am questioning how people can be assuming that without knowing the actual wiring.

I think we are all stating, what we think is the best case scenario
And that it could be worse

We don't know wire size, we don't know state of charge
We don't know if it's going to alarm in five minutes or 2 hours
We know he can't possibly get six, and most likely will would only get two or three at best

Radiate The Happy

Connected using Verizon and AT&T

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/17 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tealboy wrote:

I have a small 140/200 peak watt that is capable of running the tv and fan, I tested it and seems to work perfectly fine and based on the above, sounds like going smaller is more efficient?

Possibly, but not important, in your case. The difference in overhead losses of inverter btw 700W and 140W model will be 5-10 Watts at best. This won't change the picture, you still need more batteries.

Inverter 140W continuous and 200W peak? With stated loads anywhere from 135 to 170W?
If loads are 135W - should be alright, inverter will get hot, "should" last for some time.
If loads are 170W, inverter will die "sooner". Peak 200W is meant for short time only, check the manual.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/13/17 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Tripp-Lite-700-Watt-12V-Power-Inverter/11084218

marcsbigfoot20b27 wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Hi marcsbigfoot,

I owned a 700 watt motormaster inverter.

I looked up Advance auto to see what they have......didnt see a 700 inverter, but just a power box inverter combo battery inverter jump box, by Canadian tire.

Regards, Don
Full Time in a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

marcsbigfoot20b27

Phx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/13/17 07:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah I saw that one, oddball sized inverter.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> How long will this battery inverter run
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS