|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> portable water softener

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
carp65

Sioux Falls, SD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/17 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would like to get feedback-positive or negative-on the need of a
water softener. We are full-timers and spend six months in Mesa, AZ
and six months traveling. All comments will be appreciated.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/17 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We FT for 7 yrs and carried/used an On-The-Go portable water softener

IT WORKS!

Calcium/scaling deposits were minimized.......good for the water heater, shower stall, toilet and sink faucets.

We used the water for cooking, bathing, dish washing etc
Only exception was for coffee/ice tea and dogs water bowl
Coffee/Ice tea just didn't taste right...OK but slightly off and non-dairy creamer would NOT dissolve in coffee---just clumped

Ours is an 8000 grain unit. They make larger units now.
And basically ALL unites/brands are same....same principle/same type of resins/same regen process

SO if you buy one...look for lowest price

In Alamogordo NM the water is VERY HARD
We could go roughly 5-7 days then do a regen (box of salt/30 minute soak/15 minute rinse--back in service)

Worth it just to keep scale at bay

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

johnsonbert

Houston, TX-Ironwood, MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/17 12:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use a Travelsoft 1200 by Frako company and would not leave home without it. We have used it for about 15 years now in a wide variety of water conditions and it still works extremely well. It takes 9 cups of solar salt to regen and we do that every 3-4 weeks, depending on the water where we are at. Saves so much in deposits on the shower and sinks, well worth using. We also use a pre-filter before the softener to extend the usage before regen. Hope this may help, happy trails bert

2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/17 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used the Flow-Pur 10,000 grain softener for years and I am very happy. It only takes 2# of table salt and a funnel to put it in without a mess.
Let the salt water mix sit for 5 minutes and then do a slow rinse for 20 minutes and you are good to go for about a month (somewhat less in really hard water areas) or about 1000 gallons of water usage.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

ljr

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/17 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve had both Travelsoft and Onthego. Both did the job and I wouldn’t be without one or the other. My only gripe was that it was a bit of a hassle getting salt in the Travelsoft. The fill hole wasn’t quite large enough.

Larry

Jim@HiTek

Gresham, OR, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/17 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been full timing for 13 years and in all that time, never had a 'hard water' problem. Never replaced a tank, never had a faucet gummed up with deposits, never had a shower head clogged.

Probably because I am proactive with assessing the water hardness and mineral content of anywhere I stay. One of my first questions when I settle somewhere is about the water.

So with that in mind, what I do do is keep my tank nearly full while traveling with known good water. If I'm somewhere (and those places are few and far between) where I'm tipped off about the water being not good or very hard than I use the tank. Where there is good water, I fill the tank and use shore water.

Have an undersink water filter for drinking water, and a 2nd filter for the shore water faucet if it's problematic shore water.

But again, never have needed to change or fix anything because of hard water deposits over 13 years of traveling. Coast to coast, Mexico to Alaska. And many times I've stayed at parks where they have equipment to soften and purify the parks water!

I'm not totally against them, it's just the excess salt that comes from RV softeners is undesirable.

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

dbbls

Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/17 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

I have used the Flow-Pur 10,000 grain softener for years and I am very happy. It only takes 2# of table salt and a funnel to put it in without a mess.
Let the salt water mix sit for 5 minutes and then do a slow rinse for 20 minutes and you are good to go for about a month (somewhat less in really hard water areas) or about 1000 gallons of water usage.

This is v what I use also. I'm quite satisfied with it.

2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/17 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

is the water too hard at your primary campgrounds? I have not needed one. my BIL used the blue one from camping world? and evidently used it and thought he needed it. he did have a water softener at home (MN) so perhaps he was just used to it.
only you can determine if you need one
bumpy

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/17 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

I have the same one and love it
Available direct from the manufacturer in Ohio
http://flowpur.com/html/rv-pro10000.html

$173 no tax and freight paid

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
405 Campgrounds,91K miles driven in our Winnebago motor homes and 1961 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

wildmanbaker

Kennewick, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/17 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for this thread. My DW was complaining about her not feeling right about 1 month into our last outing. Just ordered one for our MH.

Wildmanbaker

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> portable water softener
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.