|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> portable water softener

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 10/21/17 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many years ago my Dad moved in with his second wife. There really was no place for a water softener as the "utility room" was really just the hallway to the side door, with washer and dryer on one side and a pantry on the other. Then he found a very low profile (< 24" high) sort of a cube shaped water softener that would fit under the bottom shelf of the pantry. He hired a plumber to install the copper pipes. The plumber said hooking up unions and connections to the water softener was impossible due to the tight quarters. Dad had him install 2 hose bibs instead. The plumber said he would not hook up hoses because it was against code. Dad paid the man and 5 minutes later they had soft water !

sehunter

Rancho Murieta, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/21/17 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 16K portable water softener that kept leaving salt spots on my vehicles. I did a little research and came up with the following and after 2 regens no more spots. I fill up my water tank before leaving home with it and the coffee tastes fine.

Rescare

Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

VoodooMedicineMan

Illinois

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/17 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drink and cook with distilled bottled water only. 87 cents a gallon at Wal-Mart. Tank water for washing and flushing only. Think Flint Michigan.

Bill and Joey the dog

ncrowley

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/17 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also use the Flow Pure and am very happy with it. It is easy to regenerate and use.

Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

bdpreece

Yuma Arizona / Oregon Traveler

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/17 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill.Satellite wrote:

I have used the Flow-Pur 10,000 grain softener for years and I am very happy. It only takes 2# of table salt and a funnel to put it in without a mess.
Let the salt water mix sit for 5 minutes and then do a slow rinse for 20 minutes and you are good to go for about a month (somewhat less in really hard water areas) or about 1000 gallons of water usage.

We are wintering in Yuma and installed a Flow-pur 10,000 about two weeks ago. Unbelievable how much better the water is. Should have purchased one years ago.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/17 11:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have used one for 7 years and wouldn't be without one. It's nice to wash the coach with soft water...think no spotting....showers feel better, coffee tastes better. Arizona has water that's nearly as hard as New Mexico's. Not quite, but close.....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Clay L

Palisade CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/17 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We didn't have room for the FloPur10,000 so got the FloPur Mark8000. Worked great for many full timing years but needed to be recharged more often than the 10,000 would have.
We rarely needed one except when we spent winters in AZ and summers in western CO. The hardness was over 50 PPM in AZ and 5 PPM is considered hard. 20 PPM in CO.
We bought one because the faucet screens and shower heads clogged and deposits built up on the inside on all of the plumbing.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), Katie & Kelli (cats) Salli (dog).

Fixed domicile after 1 year of snowbirding and eleven years Full Timing in a 2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N, Workhorse chassis, Honda Accord toad

jwolf55

Vincennes, Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/17 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't full time but we have soft water at home and my wife can't wash her hair in hard water so we have a On-The-Go portable water softener. The water at some of these campgrounds is so hard you can't even may suds.

Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373

DSDP Don

Moorpark, Ca

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/21 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've been RVing for about 45 years and never used a water softener, but have one at home on the hot water said. On our current coach, I've been finding that I'm getting enough calcium deposits to actually clog two of my sinks. My shower and main sink sprayer have the silicone tips and I can just rub them to get the calcium to break away.

With all that said, I finally broke down and bought the "On The Go" double standard size. I was amazed at how heavy it was empty. I'm BIG on making connections at a campsite quick and easy. I knew it wouldn't be long before I would quick using the tank if I had to drag it out each time.

I ended up mounting it in a bay where I can easily remove it to service it. I used quick connects on the water connections. This week will be our first trip with it. I know the showers, washing machine and dishwasher will work better with it.

Do you have to have one, no, millions do with out them, but they're nice to have.

Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Ro"n"Joe

Full Timing

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fully recommend getting one. We have the On-The-Go and get the bigger 16000 unit. I've had to recharge weekly at times most recently in a Campground west of West Pueblo, CO.
Like mentioned above, I'll use it while washing the rig but find it still leaves spots if not wiped off.

2020 Dutch Star 4328 on FL Chassis
2018 Grand Cherokee Limited
Ready Brute Elite Towbar & Road Master Wiring

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> portable water softener
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.