RV.Net Open Roads Forum: cab and chasis with utility body re-classified for scales

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > cab and chasis with utility body re-classified for scales

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mike/kellie

northern calif.

Senior Member

Joined: 09/03/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/28/17 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

If you have a utility body on it, then you're not carrying a truck camper on it


Actually there is more interest in utility bodies being made for both truck campers and 5th wheels. They are lower profile and designed for different types of storage. That's why I commented that with the camper on, I think I can bypass without a problem in that it completes the build, it's private (no commerce) and totally recreational. Some entrances to scales even post No rvs.


2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

mike/kellie

northern calif.

Senior Member

Joined: 09/03/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/28/17 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Without the camper, the truck would need to stop at scales. I will try to confirm this week. I went to our local CHP and of the 3 officers that looked at my truck, all said they were not strong in commercial enforcement and unsure.





[image]

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/28/17 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike/kellie wrote:

Without the camper, the truck would need to stop at scales. I will try to confirm this week. I went to our local CHP and of the 3 officers that looked at my truck, all said they were not strong in commercial enforcement and unsure.





[image]

I agree in MD if the GVW is over 12K it would be required to stop


07Duramax w/hips,12Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,K-Bee exhaust brake,RV safepower
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
Arvika rack,BakFlip,RVLock
5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,keyless RV Lock
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/28/17 09:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It looks to me like a pickup with a truck camper. I don't think it would even be noticed that you have that utility body as you drive by at 55mph or more.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

Full Member

Joined: 04/15/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/28/17 11:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never stopped at a California weigh station or driven a truck of any kind in California. I don't understand what the big deal is about stopping other than the time.

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

Full Member

Joined: 04/15/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/28/17 11:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

Yeah, go to AZ, they will charge you "entrance fee" even if you are in the state for 20 miles, like driving I15


Who charges you this "fee" California or Arizona? I have driven into Arizona and I never had to pay a fee.

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

Full Member

Joined: 04/15/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/28/17 11:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HMS Beagle wrote:


I have researched this extensively and have all the relevant CVC sections at my fingertips. CC with utility bodies have always had to stop at scales, it has just been weakly enforced. The problem with the newer pickups exceeding 11,500 GVWR is new, and the CVC hasn't caught up with it.


How is this new? My truck is a 2003 and GVWR is 12000#

HMS Beagle

Napa, California

Senior Member

Joined: 08/22/2003

View Profile



Posted: 10/28/17 11:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zcookiemonstar wrote:

HMS Beagle wrote:


I have researched this extensively and have all the relevant CVC sections at my fingertips. CC with utility bodies have always had to stop at scales, it has just been weakly enforced. The problem with the newer pickups exceeding 11,500 GVWR is new, and the CVC hasn't caught up with it.


How is this new? My truck is a 2003 and GVWR is 12000#


2003 was about the first time a one ton pickup went above 11,500. My '99 was identical to my '15 in just about every way possible, except the GVWR was 11,500 instead of 14,000. The logical thing is for the vehicle code to change to match the times (and the likely intent), and redefine a "pickup" as 14,000 GVWR and more than 8001 lbs empty. I doubt very much that the CHP or DOT want every pickup jamming the scales. Just about any newer diesel crew cab is well over 8001 lbs empty, and any one ton is over 11,500 GVWR. If they all stopped at scales you wouldn't be able to fit a big rig in there. But the wheels of government turn slowly.

I think the risk of getting stopped with a camper on a utility body is vanishingly small, and I would argue that point into court. But without the camper you run the risk. I'm not surprised the average CHP officer isn't up on this stuff. My local DMV required a lot of training to understand even the easy bits.

A low box utility body would be great under the camper. There used to be one that looked exactly like the stock pickup bed, but it was all made into doors and storage compartments. Unfortunately the company no longer makes them.


Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

Senior Member

Joined: 06/18/2015

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/17 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zcookiemonstar wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

Yeah, go to AZ, they will charge you "entrance fee" even if you are in the state for 20 miles, like driving I15


Who charges you this "fee" California or Arizona? I have driven into Arizona and I never had to pay a fee.

Did you pull to the weight station aka entrance point?

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

Full Member

Joined: 04/15/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/17 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

zcookiemonstar wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

Yeah, go to AZ, they will charge you "entrance fee" even if you are in the state for 20 miles, like driving I15


Who charges you this "fee" California or Arizona? I have driven into Arizona and I never had to pay a fee.

Did you pull to the weight station aka entrance point?


No I did not but you are not answering my question who is charging a fee California or Arizona? How much?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

 > cab and chasis with utility body re-classified for scales
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS