RV.Net Open Roads Forum: cab and chasis with utility body re-classified for scales

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> cab and chasis with utility body re-classified for scales

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/17 07:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zcookiemonstar wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

zcookiemonstar wrote:

Kayteg1 wrote:

Yeah, go to AZ, they will charge you "entrance fee" even if you are in the state for 20 miles, like driving I15

Who charges you this "fee" California or Arizona? I have driven into Arizona and I never had to pay a fee.

Did you pull to the weight station aka entrance point?

No I did not but you are not answering my question who is charging a fee California or Arizona? How much?
My post was referring to AZ entrance fee.
Per my memory they charged me $15 entrance fee for F450.
I was driving I-15 that is cutting AZ corner on the route for 35 miles.
That makes darn expensive per mile state crossing fee.

mike/kellie

northern calif.

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/17 04:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I promised an update and today I drove through the same set of scales I mentioned at the top. I went through the empty lane and pulled over to talk to the officer inside the booth. I knocked on the side door and he unlocked the door and motioned me inside.
Traffic was light and he answered as many questions as he could keeping his eyes on the commute traffic. YES...once a month the scales will do a sting looking for evasive motorists driving any truck with a gvw of 10,000 lbs or more WITH a non-OEM truck bed. You fill in the blank...cargo, flat, box etc. There a few transporters with just a 5th wheel hitch and mud flaps (no bed)and they will get stopped. He would point at pickup trucks driving by as examples and say either they should be stopping or not.
It stemmed from observing these types of trucks by-passing a large set of scales going towards Sacramento in Cordelia. In 4 hours, they had cited over 100 drivers not observing the "open scales" signage and driving on by.
I asked and was told to continue driving through all scales even when the camper is mounted. Pretty much sums it up. He did mention that newer trucks with a GVW of 11,400 and stock truck beds are in a grey area now.
I would be curious to hear others chime in with actual accounts of any similar experiences.

2015 Host Mammoth triple slide w/ TorkLift Fastguns
2015 Ram 5500 SLT cab & chassis with Douglass 9' utility body

noteven

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/17 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike/kellie - did the officer tell you whether you are to wait in line with commercial trucks to weigh or can you use the empty lane?

mike/kellie

northern calif.

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/17 06:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I didn't ask that one. I had a lot and he did his best to answer while observing both the highway and scale traffic. He chose to ignore 1 question that was a "what if" and said we could go all day with this stuff. I will go through loaded if the camper is on. It was interesting to hear him explain the once a month sting set up at any scales. If you could imagine a 2 lane scale operation with 6-7 CHP on bikes and in cars just beyond the scales, it was quite the site. Today, it was 2 guys in the kiosk size office and no chase vehicle.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/17 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have not stopped at a CA truck scale with my setup on either of our trips through NorCal. Either I got a free pass because I was out of state, I looked too much like a motor home or they were not stinging when we have rolled by.

Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp-VW Jetta TDI 1.9

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/17 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In all those years in CA I have never seen weigh scale chasing and yes, I pay attention to those things.
I think "once a month" is on the officer wish list

finsruskw

Earlville, IA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A lot of the B$ in many states is because they are BROKE!!
$afety Fir$t is the real rea$on.

zb39

slippery rock

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 08:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It was nice that he let you in and took the time to answer questions. Not sure if I would stop or not in my truck. It would depend on what things looked like and if I was in a hurry or not. Although I would never live in Kali, they do have some nice NP's I like. Now that dope is legal there, I don't expect it to get any better. Time will tell.

Tiffin Zephyr(sold)
Dodge Caliber toad(sold)
Artic Fox 1150 slide(sold)
2011 DRW 3500 Crewcab Longhorn( sold)
2016 RAM Laramie Limited DRW crew cab
Sabre 5th wheel 33L
2017 Host mammoth
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces

pigman1

Delaware

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

finsruskw wrote:

A lot of the B$ in many states is because they are BROKE!!
$afety Fir$t is the real rea$on.
+ 2 The driving force.

Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike/kellie wrote:

I promised an update and today I drove through the same set of scales I mentioned at the top. I went through the empty lane and pulled over to talk to the officer inside the booth. I knocked on the side door and he unlocked the door and motioned me inside.
Traffic was light and he answered as many questions as he could keeping his eyes on the commute traffic. YES...once a month the scales will do a sting looking for evasive motorists driving any truck with a gvw of 10,000 lbs or more WITH a non-OEM truck bed. You fill in the blank...cargo, flat, box etc. There a few transporters with just a 5th wheel hitch and mud flaps (no bed)and they will get stopped. He would point at pickup trucks driving by as examples and say either they should be stopping or not.
It stemmed from observing these types of trucks by-passing a large set of scales going towards Sacramento in Cordelia. In 4 hours, they had cited over 100 drivers not observing the "open scales" signage and driving on by.
I asked and was told to continue driving through all scales even when the camper is mounted. Pretty much sums it up. He did mention that newer trucks with a GVW of 11,400 and stock truck beds are in a grey area now.
I would be curious to hear others chime in with actual accounts of any similar experiences.

When you say cited,,does that mean a monetary fine ?
How much?
Seems to me just like another money grabing scheme..

Im all for enforcing safety,but what puzles me is,,
how would they determine if non comercial truck carying camper is overweight??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> cab and chasis with utility body re-classified for scales
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS