|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Inverter AGM questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well I just can't get by the thought of a dc to do charger so if I can't plug in to charge the battery bank they will still be fully charged by the truck, I found this one that will do 130amps.

http://www.promariner.com/en/~/media/inriver/354427-37034.pdf

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 06:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dual channel charges engine battery through a diode. Are they idiots? This is the EXACT battery isolator issue that has plagued the industry for fifty years. Motorola found out the hard way forty years ago the effect of series silicon rectifiers when they tried to be smartassed as used it to power the voltage regulator on 8CR 40 amp alternators.

A well designed charge division management system would have the primary channel divert through a SILICON CARBIDE (METAL OXIDE) FIELD EFFECT TRANSISTOR with vf rated in millivolts. An emergency circuit would over-ride the MOSFET circuit and channel engine and chassis voltage direct to the engine starting battery if the MOSFET circuit faulted.

Charging systems that direct 14.4 volts to an AGM battery for mere hours a day will assist that AGM to live longer. A yacht can motor 24 hours a day for weeks -- a slight difference. A hot seat coast to coast semi can travel for MONTHS with six hour stops to change oil. The sleeper on those rigs hold a trade off driver.

Charge management has it's proper place and management of a intermittent 14.4 volt regulated power supply makes about as much sense as swallowing penicillin to prevent chapped lips. 14.4 volts IS the magic number in final charging of an AGM battery. ONLY calcium excess acid fat mat telecommunication batteries could use theoretical charge division management.

Here is a scenario where 14.4 volts would not be the best option

A quick starting vehicle that operates in 100-120 degree 5 hour daily commutes that endures zero cycling. Yet there are tens of thousands of vehicle batteries that successfully do just that. The southern USA, the mideast, africa, india, southeast asia.

Adding in inappropriate charging gizmo where it is not needed and is contraindicated is a fine way to buy into a bundle of problems.

Sorry to be so blunt but this is not a gray area. [emoticon]

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 07:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No problem, I am here to learn.

MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/18 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I try to be patient with customers but my tolerance vanishes when it comes to dealing with company "educated idiots" who are usually young, headstrong and utterly sloppy when it comes to researching data especially history and component integrity.

My longest history AGM battery has been measured on my mini platform scale. It resolves down to less than 1 gram, perhaps .3 grams.

In seven years it has not lost one measuring unit of weight.

AGM batteries are pressure sealed. People forget this. The batteries have a recombinant vapor to liquid recovery system built into the caps. They do not lose liquid ever ever ever, unless they are hideously overcharged. Not in the same universe of gradient overcharge as an open flooded battery. A flooded battery will lose 10x3 times the weight as an AGM battery over it's lifetime.

At high temperature, sulfuric acid eats lead. There is no way to stop it. Reduces voltage helps a lot but the majority of electrolysis is due to heat. Unless of course voltage is allowed to stray into 15.5 volt areas that no one is going to allow. Car computers will open loop and RVs will develop symptomatic negatives that virtually no one would ignore.

With influence of high temperature electrolysis the most influential counter action is to thicken the positive plate. I am convinced the Lifeline's double thick plate leads to near double the lifespan as far as electrolytic issues are concerned, How could they not? Does a Lifeline cost twice as much as competitive batteries? I have no idea because I have not the slightest interest in comparative shopping. Logistics wise I am crippled by being well outside the marketing area.

Thicker plates do zero to reduce the effects of abuse upon an AGM. Continual partial recharging, recharging a deeply depleted AGM with less then 20% of the rated 20 amp hour specification current. Having a 400 amp hour bank means an eighty ampere minimum charger. Wanna take a guess how many AGM 400 amp hour banks are recharged at lesser values?

So my take is unless an owner takes the time to understand AGM quirks and then rectifies his charging and management perhaps his best value choice would be chew & spit Chinese batteries.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/20 10:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just wanted to thank all those that had input on my inverter install. It has taken a while because of finances but I was able to get the 1/0 DLO cable installed from the engine bay and under the center seat in the cab to the truck bed, then set one of two battery banks and mount the inverter electrical enclosure. I have one of two Redarc 50 amp dc to dc chargers installed so the system is working. I still need to install the second set of batteries and second dc to dc charger as well as the 300 watt psw inverter in the cab. I hope to get the 2800 watt Outback inverter in the next couple months to finish the system.

https://imgur.com/gallery/EoSXEF7

MrWizard

Traveling

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/20 03:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats You are getting there
Thanks for taking time to let us know

I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using Verizon and AT&T
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am getting ready to install the inverter system in the back of my CC pickup so thought I would bump this. I have removed the rear seats and am building the enclosure for the two 450ah battery banks the inverter and other associated electrical.

Inverter box

Inverter box in truck

* This post was edited 09/04/21 02:51pm by S Davis *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's going to be one heck of a system!

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 04:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

That's going to be one heck of a system!

Should be able to run everything I want including occasional A/C.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/21 04:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi S,

I'm planning on 7 Sio2 batteries--probably next summer due to covid. It should give me a usable capacity of 560 amp-hours. I can use all 700 amp-hours but that does reduce life span.

If would be wonderful if you could post a "parts list" for your (pretty darn special) system.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 15  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Inverter AGM questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.