|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Small step for camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
clikrf8

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/17 03:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AnEv942:
Thanks for the research. I should have posted photos but am too lazy to learn how. I believe we can use that step you showed in last image underneath the porch or platform or whatever it is called to the left of left opening door. Where can I buy such a step? I found an image of one on a new Lance on their page but couldn’t find a mention or listing of it there. Does it fold up so it won’t bottom out? We go off road a lot (road to Delamar, NV ghost town, Jumbled Rock Gulch in Nevada, etc.). Hubby can weld so he can put a bracket underneath and bolt it.

Thanks to everyone else who posted.

I think using one that attaches to the lip in the center would block out the license plate so need to go with the left side. Hitch is out for same reason. We could move plate, I guess.

2008 Ford F250 SuperDuty 4x4 Off Road Pkg Diesel Ranch Hand Sport Ride Right airbags
2013 Hallmark Ute LX
Toller Mousse: Chocolate Standard Poodle cross
Blitzen: Black Standard Poodle
Photography Website
Photography Blog

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/17 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The issue I had with my Palomino was I didn't have enough room under the door to attach the Stow and Go aluminum plate (you need a good 3" of flat mounting surface), I have at best 2" so I had to get creative with mine.

I welded a length of 3 x 3 light gauge steel angle to the roll formed cross brace under the bottom of the camper and mounted the bracket to that. I actually located, drilled and tapped that angle to match the holes in the TL bracket and then attached the bracket to the steel angle with stainless bolts and spaced the bracket (aluminum) off the steel angle with hard nylon flat washers and coated the threads with copper never seize as I was concerned about corrosion between dissimilar metals.

Worked out perfectly.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/17 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first RV was a Tejas 8ft. cabover in the early to mid 1980's. I bought it 3rd hand from a coworker. It came with a set of steps home made from plywood and covered with astroturf. Fit inside the camper. Just open the back door and pull out. Astroturf protected the cabinets from damage.
For the Bigfoot I have scissor steps. But I also can use a Rubbermaid 2 step stool on a cargo carrier.
Maybe study making something out of 3/8" plywood and cover with carpet or astroturf.

2016 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/17 05:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simple home built steps. Quick flip down for use, flip up for driving. Even in the up position, the door still opens so you don't have to flip them down to get in the camper.

[image]

[image]

Since these pictures were taken, I changed out the receiver tube for a 12" extender so I can tow my boat behind but still have the steps.

They are light enough to pull the pin and throw in the back when I use ferries which usually gets me down to the standard 20' limit.

With the camper at 32" each step is about 11" and very easy to go in and out.

Someone mentioned blocking the license plate. While it may appear it is blocked, someone in a vehicle behind me can easily read the tag. I have over 50k miles between two truck covering most of the states east of the Mississippi without ever being stopped for a blocked tag.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.5 hand calc avg mpg after 25,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

AnEv942

CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/17 07:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The flip over steps-flip over and store setting on bumper. Standard simple step included with a lot of campers...It doesnt hang when on road.
[image]
We use to have ours center mounted, when stairs weren't used it was, would fold over to store on road. When stairs used it hung underneath.
[image]
Worked well, step to use when scissor steps were not (on road), out of the way when stairs used. We use to carry the stairs inside, along with the bumper 'basement step. But with the change to the stow & go basement step can stay mounted and since flip over couldn't any longer it got moved over. Hm I wander...Anyway...

the question where to get a simple flip over? THAT is the question. Come up a few times, only half million on the road but finding source not easy. Likely a lot hanging in folks garages..
Many are formed tube with step but could be easily cut plate etc. Yours may need extended brackets, bumper is short, to get enough height between top of bumper and flipped over top of step. Take some imagineering to get angles right. Torklift uses some on different bumpers they make but never seen just step listed. Contacting a camper mfg might yield source.

01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page

clikrf8

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/17 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kohldad: I like those steps as they are simple and sturdy. Our scissors steps wobble as we often camp on uneven ground so we stuff a limb or rock under the short one.

AnEv942: I will contact Lance tomorrow. Maybe they know. Seems like the best solution. Our truck is 4x4 with big tires so it is high off the ground and I am shorter than hubby who can hoist himself up.

I will also look up stow and go.

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/17 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought a 3' piece of 2"x2"x3/16 wall aluminum tubing, and welded an 8"x2" flat plate on it. When we pull over for a quick stop to use the bathroom or get something out of the camper, I slide the tube into the trailer hitch. It's the perfect height to get into the camper. When we're done, I take the tube out & stick it in the camper on the floor.

If we're going to stay somewhere overnight, we use the stairs.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW diesel, 2003 Travelite

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure what I’m missing here. Scissor steps hard to deploy?
I store them inside the back door of the camper and they literally take 10 seconds to set up once the door is open.
No longer than pulling out a step stool type thing.
What’s that red thing under the camper? Second bumper attached to the trailer hitch? You could fab a permanent off to one side that attaches to it. Or hang a rv step off the camper bumper as shown, if the bumper is sturdy enough.
Another option we used for a while was a hitch carrier. It was used to haul gear but served as a mid step into the camper on the old camper. Of course you’d have to remove it to put the stairs down and lose the red thingy.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

clikrf8

PNW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/17 08:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog: I find the scissor stairs awkward to use but need them for the pups. And, we mostly pull off on a dirt Road so you need to level them out so they don’t wobble. The red thing is the channel iron that held the jack. It is no longer there. But, yes, DH could cut that channel iron smaller and weld it to left of door. Why didn’t I think of that?

Everyone: I contacted Lance and they were prompt with their reply. Said fold over step is SS PW 2015/part number XM 136. The price is $180.24. Ouch but then anything RV related is $$$$$.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

clikrf8 wrote:

Grit dog: I find the scissor stairs awkward to use but need them for the pups. And, we mostly pull off on a dirt Road so you need to level them out so they don’t wobble. The red thing is the channel iron that held the jack. It is no longer there. But, yes, DH could cut that channel iron smaller and weld it to left of door. Why didn’t I think of that?

Everyone: I contacted Lance and they were prompt with their reply. Said fold over step is SS PW 2015/part number XM 136. The price is $180.24. Ouch but then anything RV related is $$$$$.

Ouch is right. 180 clams for 10 bucks worth of metal..

I had one on my Lance and still had to use a stool because the bumper step was so high up. Problem with trucking around in a 6 over stock 4x4.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Small step for camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS