RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Bigwig disconnect?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Bigwig disconnect?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/17 02:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've heard it mentioned that for off-roading you should disconnect the anti-sway bar to allow the for side to side/ up down axle movement. I'm wondering if I disconnect mine would it improve the ride over rough city streets. How far do you disconnect? I assume back off the jam nuts. But how far, and does it slam around and damage the rubber snubbers?

2016 Ram 3500 CC LB SRW Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2014 Montana High Country 305RL
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say the difference would be negligible just on rough roads, but it’s an easy experiment
Just loosen them up or even remove the bottom nuts and hang the sway bar with some wire or rope for a test drive.
Biggest bang for your buck is proper tire pressure if you haven’t already done that.
Emtpy truck, 35-45psi rear and 50-55 front on stock size tires will soften up those manholes and bumps a bit.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/17 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah I figured about as much. I've taken unloaded rear pressure down to 58 and it helped a little. I'll back off a little more.
You know how they repair a 12" deep pothole....fill it with 18" of asphalt and create a 6" bump.

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/17 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you will find disconnecting the sway bar will have no noticeable effect on the rough roads you describe. I have a Samurai for off road. It has no sway bar. A swaybar would limit wheel travel, but would have no effect on bumps. You might find a difference with soft springs and shocks, but I really think the only practical solution is to drive slower.

Wayne

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/17 06:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try 35 PSI in the rear. I had a 98 ram 2500 I used to run even less (around 28) in the back just so the center of the tires would not go bald as I ran empty every day as a daily driver.
Tire Pressure by weight chart.

as far as sway bar, you only need to disconnect one side.

2016 Arctic Fox 990
2015 Ram 3500 Cummins DRW 4wd Aisin 8' bed.

stevenal

Newport, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/17 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

I assume back off the jam nuts. But how far, and does it slam around and damage the rubber snubbers?

Yes it would. I would remove the nut and bolt completely on one side, and swing the link on that side up and out of the way.

'98 Bigfoot 1500
with low loss control on the Fantastic, Dino board on the Dometic.
Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/17 01:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are you trying to solve disabling the sway bar? All it does in this application is reduce sway. If you were going off road it could limit the the wheel drop. Do you think the road is so rough the OP needs more wheel drop?

DWeikert

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/17 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are these the kinds of "roads" you'll be traveling?
Youtube:The Reason Why You Disconnect Your Front Sway Bar.

Another example

Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

Reddog1

El Dorado, CA

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/17 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TxGearhead wrote:

Yeah I figured about as much. I've taken unloaded rear pressure down to 58 and it helped a little. I'll back off a little more.
You know how they repair a 12" deep pothole....fill it with 18" of asphalt and create a 6" bump.
Are you sure those are not speed bumps? [emoticon] Sorry TxGearhead, I just had to say that.

I reading this post again, I realized I misunderstood before. I though you were hitting holes. Now that I understand it is bumps, you can do a simple test. Disconnect one side of your sway bar. Drive over a speed bump at a slight angle. Connect the sway bar and go over the same speed bump at the same angle. The faster go, the more you will be determined to leave the sway bar connected.

TxGearhead

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/17 12:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I may be stretching the effect the sway bar has on smaller elevation changes. The rear of the truck felt really "locked down" and seemed very harsh on city street bumps.
I had back surgery August 21 and our local small town streets are beating me up pretty good. I just didn't remember the truck being so rough riding before the surgery. But, I had a month of not driving it. I've backed the rear pressure down to the high 50's and it helped some. A couple days ago I aired them down to 50 and backed off the fronts to 60. It helped a lot. I'll keep tweaking it. I'll watch the edges of the tires for wear.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Bigwig disconnect?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS