RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Another condensation ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Another condensation ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/17 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Common issue with TCs in general.
One thing that helps is change your sleeping orientation to feet forward. Your feet don't produce near the condensation as your mouth while sleeping.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

rutzbeck

Haines, AK

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/17 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had the same problem in my Bigfoot when I sealed the vents. It kept in the warm air but also the moisture. I now almost always have the vents open at least 1 inch. After my shower in the morning I run the exhaust fan for at least 30 with the heater on with the vents opened even more. Hot air seems to carry out more of the moisture. A fan up at the head of the bed helps a lot also.

RickW

Sacramento CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/16/17 05:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have noted, moisture from respiration (or cooking and propane appliances) plus cold surfaces with lack of circulation equals condensation.

I built a small air to air heat exchanger (described somewhere in the archives here) to remove moist air and bring in drier air. Basically it has 2 small 12 volt fans, one to bring air in and one to exhaust air out. I have had very little condensation and no condensation problems when using it.

More importantly here, I use a 1-1/4 inch plastic bilge hose to direct the fresh air where I want it. I found I want it near the head of the bed. We are talking about a very small flow rate, maybe 1-5 CFM, that makes all the difference. The hose is easily run alomg the edge of the mattress.

In my opinion, a small forced ventilation system directed to the nose area will improve your situation.

Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4
04 Sunlite SB

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/17 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The material that goes under the mattress is called HyVent. It is a firm material that resembles many layers of nylon mesh. Highly recommended for use on any platform bed in a poorly insulated area. Otherwise, moisture from your bodies and breathing will penetrate the mattress and condense under it, resulting in mold growth.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

free radical

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 12/16/17 08:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

The material that goes under the mattress is called HyVent. It is a firm material that resembles many layers of nylon mesh. Highly recommended for use on any platform bed in a poorly insulated area. Otherwise, moisture from your bodies and breathing will penetrate the mattress and condense under it, resulting in mold growth.

Something like this?

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1%257C2276179%257C2276186&id=1818021

billyray50

North Dallas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/17/17 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

coolmom42 wrote:

It is called Hypervent and it is pricy. I purchased a product few years back for a previous TC called Dry mesh that worked good but forgot to remove it when TC was sold. It was much cheaper than Hypervent. Cannot find a U.S. distributor now. I use blue or pink foam board that's works good too for around 10.00 bucks at Lowes.

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/17 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

coolmom42 wrote:

Something like this?

That is the stuff we have under our mattress and that Northern Lite now puts under the mattress in their new rigs.
Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

RamblinAnne

California

View Profile

Posted: 12/17/17 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SideHillSoup wrote:

free radical wrote:

coolmom42 wrote:

Something like this?

That is the stuff we have under our mattress and that Northern Lite now puts under the mattress in their new rigs.
Soup.

x2 - I have had this hypervent under my mattress since day 1 and never had any issues with condensation. (I full time and cook often).

2013 Ford F350 6.7L Powerstroke Diesel DRW Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
2004 Bigfoot 25c10.6e
Full-timer

markchengr

Seattle

View Profile

Posted: 12/18/17 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2008 Northern Lite. Initially we had the condensation problem under the mattress in cold weather. Bought some Hypervent online, laid it under the bed so that a bit of it curled up vertically along the head end and no more problem. It was pricey but in my opinion it was money well spent. -Mark.

Wardster

Kingston, Ohio

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/17 05:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Install Hypervent under your mattress to resolve the issue

2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Another condensation ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.